BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (new video

Post by Sunbeam »

durbdoogle wrote:Cool, I remember you posting about this a while back! I think an explanation video would be nice so you can share what you've learned so others can see your creative process :)
Yes, it's been a while. 😉 I will wait and see what others have to say about such a video. I will probably decide on that after the mod's release.
User avatar
Ribo Zurai
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (new video

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Happy to see the project back on the rails! I was also wondering if you're gonna add more guns besides the vanilla ones and the staff. Definitely loving what I'm seeing here.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (new video

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you! 😊 Well I have ideas for one or two new weapons. But at the moment I think it's highly unlikely that they will get implemented in the first proper release. Right now the mod has something like a "feature freeze". 😉 Only testing and balancing.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay

Post by Sunbeam »

New video is up showing the BorderDoom Demon Staff in action while playing Nuts2.wad:


User avatar
Solid-Head
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay

Post by Solid-Head »

Look really good. How does the weapon spawn work ? The staff can drop randomly from enemies ?
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you. 😊
All normal weapon spawns are replaced by random weapons. Weapons can also be dropped by enemies. The same applies to the Demon Staff. However I'm thinking about giving it a lower drop rate, as it is more of a specialised weapon.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by Sunbeam »

Update: A gameplay video of map 1 to 3 of Doom 2 with BorderDoom. (see first post)

The mod will be released on 18.10.!
AndreV3O
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by AndreV3O »

Will this MOD work with other monster mods or weaponsets?
User avatar
Solid-Head
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by Solid-Head »

HYPE ! Really looking forward to it. I'm highly interested on how the weapons are scripted. Not too sure what wizardry you pull to make this work, but if you did what I think, randomizing the weapon sprites will be very easy to do.
You mention in one of you video that monsters get more dmg once you level up and so does the guns that drop. Can the guns get ridiculous OP stats once you're high enough ? (kinda like BL1)
AndreV3O wrote:Will this MOD work with other monster mods or weaponsets?
I don't want to speak for Sunbeam, but this look like a weapon mods.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by Sunbeam »

AndreV3O wrote:Will this MOD work with other monster mods or weaponsets?
I have not tested this. But I have to assume that this kind of mod is incompatible with BorderDoom, because they change the same things (weapons/monsters).
Solid-Head wrote:HYPE ! Really looking forward to it.
YES! :D
Solid-Head wrote:I'm highly interested on how the weapons are scripted. Not too sure what wizardry you pull to make this work, but if you did what I think, randomizing the weapon sprites will be very easy to do.
You mention in one of you video that monsters get more dmg once you level up and so does the guns that drop. Can the guns get ridiculous OP stats once you're high enough ? (kinda like BL1)
Well the weapon sprites are not exactly randomized... But the rest is. :D It's a good mix between decorate and ACS scripts. If enough people are interested I might give a more in-depth insight on how things work.
Well currently there is no limit... So if you reach high levels your guns will be a lot stronger. :)
site
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by site »

looks interesting, but uhh...please tell me that recoil effect can be turned off, im getting a headache just watching that youtube vid
retronutcase
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by retronutcase »

I'm LOVING what we're seeing so far. I'm curious if any other Borderlands staples will be appearing though? Namely...

-Legendary weapons. A given, I think. Weapons that go beyond their normal firing behavior and do crazy things. Like a spreadfire plasma rifle. Or a rocket launcher that fires additional rockets in its flight.

-Action skills/passives. I could see a few powerups converting fairly well to actions skills, like a temporary on demand Berserk that gives you health regen and punching power for a few seconds.

-Offhand grenade weapon with grenade mods? Another Borderlands staple.

Still looking forward to giving this a try though! Part of me wonders if there might be some way to create a compatibility patch for this and Colorful Hell, Colorful Hell seems like it would be perfect for this.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (release: 18.10.

Post by Sunbeam »

site wrote:looks interesting, but uhh...please tell me that recoil effect can be turned off, im getting a headache just watching that youtube vid
As some people commented on this I will probably change something about it or make it an option (if I can).
retronutcase wrote:I'm LOVING what we're seeing so far. I'm curious if any other Borderlands staples will be appearing though? Namely...
-Legendary weapons. A given, I think. Weapons that go beyond their normal firing behavior and do crazy things. Like a spreadfire plasma rifle. Or a rocket launcher that fires additional rockets in its flight.
-Action skills/passives. I could see a few powerups converting fairly well to actions skills, like a temporary on demand Berserk that gives you health regen and punching power for a few seconds.
-Offhand grenade weapon with grenade mods? Another Borderlands staple.
Good ideas. I already thought about skills and grenades, however I won't promise anything. ;) Crazy weapons would be quite hard to implement in this system, so I'm a bit hesitant there.
retronutcase wrote:Still looking forward to giving this a try though! Part of me wonders if there might be some way to create a compatibility patch for this and Colorful Hell, Colorful Hell seems like it would be perfect for this.
We'll see what can be done when the time comes. :) However weapon and monster mods might be a problem, since BorderDoom changes a lot about these things itself.
User avatar
Sunbeam
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (1.0 released!)

Post by Sunbeam »

BorderDoom 1.0 released!

See first post for download.
User avatar
Cherno
Posts: 1290
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:25 am

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (1.0 released!)

Post by Cherno »

I just thought about implementing a random weapon system. Like, each weapon you find has completely random values (rate of fire, damage, damage type, number of bullets, reload speed, durability and so on).

You have a few dozen dummy weapon actors defined, all inheriting from a weapon base class. These are just there so they are kept seperate in the inventory. Before spawning a weapon, the player's inventory is checked for each of these dummy weapons (which would be named incrementally). When WeaponDummy087 is not found, that's the weapon dummy class we need to spawn. The spawned weapon is then given random values and only then is it ready to be picked up. I'm not sure if the weapon slot can be changed (since it's a weapon property, it might be possible), but otherwise this should work :)

The actor states could be done with sprite and A_SetTics, possibly by having seperate subclasses for shotguns etc. for the dummies, since animations for a shotgun, machinegun and so on would be similar.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”