Behold: FVoxels!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Phoenix
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Phoenix »

ah yes. i don't expect anyone to try and do it by hand like i did, i don't wish that on anyone. i thought that if anyone was going to use them, and if it would be practical to do so, it wouldn't be TOO difficult for a program to be written to make them easier to create. that's only if people would use them for something not so simple, otherwise i could prolly get off making some prefabs and writing a little explanation of the things to do to make em work. or even just having a wad with them all set up already in the lumps and DECORATE.
Macil

Post by Macil »

Voxels!!

3d model format made by Ken Silverman.

Voxel = Volumetric Pixel
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Until I asked destroyer and tried this wad, I had no idea what a Voxel was. NOW I WANT THEM IN ZDOOM REALLY BADLY!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

i'd certainly like that. imagine the possibilities that would open up! i guess it ain't happening though, at least not for a good while.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

ah, I remember these! voxels were usually used for graphic demos of the old days to show off your computer. I always loved those DOS "technology demonstration programs".
Macil

Post by Macil »

Go to Ken Silverman's website to learn more about voxels, and programs to make voxels. And a program to convert a regular 3d models into voxels.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Couldn't these be used to theoretically create 3D decorations, such as lights and stuff sticking out of walls? And another thing, couldn't things be sped up a bit by making the objects (like the BFG) hollow? I mean, a person is thoeretically not going to see the center of the thing, so why waste fvoxels on it? Seems kinda redundant to me... And it could possibly increase speed by a pretty good amount.
Macil

Post by Macil »

It is hollow, and the other stuff you said, the answer is yes. This is an amazing event.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

ATTENTION RANDY - YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO MAKE US WAIT FOR IN ZDOOM .65 ;)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

actually the BFG is hollow. i thought of that right at the very start, i wanted to keep the voxel count down as much as possible. (that's why the voxels are stacked in increments of 2, less of them used) the reason it looks filled in in an editor is cause that's just the top and bottom. i MIGHT be able to get away with making the bottom hollow too if you're not gonna see it, but yeah.

edit: ah, Agent ME beat me to it.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

uh, are you SURE ken silverman made these?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Ken Silverman made voxels, but mine here are not REAL voxels, they're just facing sprites (no "volume"). i'm not sure how voxels work exactly but from what i understand they're more like cubes and definitely not flat.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

well, Ken silverman didn't "INVENT" voxels, he just found a practical use for them.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

right, that's what i meant, i think.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Voxels have been asked for a million times before...

It is true that Voxels would add a nice dimension to Zdoom and there are plenty of editors out there... as mentioned before, I'd be happy with just 3D weapons, decoratrions (except dead bodies) and pickups... plus, you could make a cool 3D platform like in ROTT (I know they aren't 3D and they look pritty bad... but the concept is cool :D).

I'm not sure what randies motives are for declining the inclusion of voxels...

:twisted:

Return to “Editing (Archive)”