zrrion the insect wrote:
I could swear I saw a thread on Doomworld with a similar goal, but if I'm remembering correctly, most of what was being changed was sprite offssets, and I think a few oddities of other sprites, like stray pixels and whatnot. I think this is it.
Okay, some more thoughts now that I've actually downloaded this instead of relying on gifs and video:
Zombieman: The new attack seems to go like this:
1. Come to a full stop.
2. Only once stopped, begin pointing the gun.
3. Start pulling the trigger while your arms are moving.
4. Once you feel the recoil, immediately lower your weapon without assessing the situation and keep moving.
As opposed to this, which is what I read into the old "POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget POSS F 8 Bright A_PosAttack POSS E 8 Goto See":
1. Start pointing the weapon as you come to a stop. (POSS A/B/C/D EDIT: Or, more precisely, the missing frame between those and POSS E
3. Line up your shot. (POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget)
4. Shoot. (POSS F 8 Bright A_PosAttack)
5. Keep shooting until your target drops or starts shooting back. (n/a - it's doom, if you're not shooting back you're not even looking that way)
6. Once one of the above conditions is met, lower weapon and begin moving. (Goto See)
I suppose it would explain their shitty aim, though. :V Would be in character, too, that they're treating their guns like some kind of swinging weapon...
Same for shotgun guy.
The imp's attack seems kind of not-fluid, like it's really angry in that "I'm upset at you but I'm conflicted about hurting you" sort of way that it's wasting a lot of energy looking angry rather than hitting you as effectively as it biomechanically can. I think it's how it sort of scrunches up during its windup, which is there in the vanilla sprites but is lost in the noise/your brain edits it out because there's no keyframe that emphasizes that motion.
For zombie, shotgun guy and imp I don't really notice any visual improvement in their walking animations. One problem with the originals is how the feet just sort of shuffle along the floor - if you could fix that, smoother animations or not you've got a hell of a major visual enhancement mod.
Right-handing the pistol for no reason was very unnecessary and offputting.
Chaingun guy is definitely the best of them - very smooth and natural looking.
Demon's animation also v. satisfactorily smooth, except if you could get rid of that little pause when the foot hits the ground like I mentioned before. Chomp animation a huge improvement.