Hi guys! Just wanted to let everyone know that this project isn't dead. I'm going to try and be more proactive about keeping this thread up to date with the project's progress. It's worth mentioning that the project is now officially being made for ZDoom (switched from MBF/Boom). So I suppose this thread's existence here is a bit more meaningful
First thing to mention is that I have updated the first post
. There's now an updated list of goals, links to more of Jimmy's music, some time-lapse graphic creation videos by Cage, some new screenshots, and an updated team roster.
Secondly, I'll link to the two latest dev-blog posts for those of you interested in reading them.
Supplice! It’s Doom, kinda!
- This is a re-reannouncement post with the project's updated goals and a quick FAQ. It should help answer many of the questions some of you might have.
Snazzy Demon Blasters and High-Tech Boomsticks
- Latest post on the dev-blog. I talk a bit about the new weapons in Supplice and the history of the weapons from the start of the project.
For those of you who don't want to read the dev-blog posts, I'll try to condense what's been happening with the project.
Sometime around June 2014, our little team decided to jump the project from Boom/MBF to ZDoom. This was a big turning point for the project and something that we talked a lot about before finally making the plunge (there was talk of moving the project to other engines like KEX and Eternity too). There were a bunch of reasons why we decided to switch. I won't go into details, but many of the reasons were because of bugs that I couldn't get around. Cage was also interested in having more leeway with animations and artwork. There were other reasons, but those are a couple of the big ones. I realize the downsides to this change (again, this decision wasn't made lightly), but in the end I think everyone on board felt like ZDoom was the way to go considering where the project was headed. I went into a little more detail in the FAQ of this dev-blog post
, so read that if your interested.
Anyways, so far this year we've made huge strides of progress. A ton of graphic work has been knocked out; I'd say we're well over halfway finished by this point. There are some big monster sprites that need creating and Cage still has lots of work left to do on the weapon sprites. But, visually speaking, we've definitely created the project's visual foundation.
Mapping wise, I've recently started drafting out bare layouts. So far I've finished up 5 potential layouts which I'm hoping will be enough to work with (and only 1 of them is gigantic, heh). I also have 5 DM maps done so far this year; visually they are done, all they lack is proper item placements and testing. Overall there are 12 DM maps that are "complete", but I'm not sure how many of them will end up released in the final mapset.
I'm planning on revealing more of the project's assets in future dev-blog posts. So I will try to make a better effort of updating this thread with links to them for you all to read.
I'll leave you with a few more screenshots