GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Indecom

Re: Oculus Rift support in GZDooM

Post by Indecom »

@Blasko, i actually have that cinema app. It's my favorite way to watch movies by myself. You can literally watch anything in it, from cartoon shows, to old movies that you cant watch on the silverscreen anymore.

@Mallo, actually the consumer model of the Rift will likely be better suited for AR application, because one of the earlier concept designs places two cameras, eye width apart, on the front of the device :)

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

They should make one that looks like Geordi la Forge's visor. =P
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Lol there've been quite a few people making custom 3d printed faceplates and things. One of the more popular accessories are big googly eyes. You can check out a guy on youtube names Cymatic Bruce, his has puppet eyes :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

What's it like to actually wear? Clamped to your head with that wide band it looks big, clunky, unbalanced and generally unpleasant. Not sure I'd want to be strapped into that long enough to watch a movie.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

The Oculus is actually very comfortable. When you pick it up for the first time it almost feels like a thin, empty shell. Weighs barely any more than a pair of ski goggles. I can play for hours at a time without any discomfort or without noticing the weight of the device on my head. There is however an extra strap on the top just in case you're worried about it slipping, but you really dont need it. The foam padding on it also makes it so it rests gently on your face quite comfortably. There are people who've played games for upwards of 8 hour increments.
mallo

Post by mallo »

With these cameras... I would be able to see reality... IN 1080P! :D
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I enjoyed my brief time trying a Rift, but I'm unconvinced that it'd really work very well in the Doom engine, both due to its 2.5D nature and due to the default player movement speed likely causing serious motion sickness for most players. Valve did a presentation a while back on the issues they ran into with adding VR to their games that has a lot of interesting info in both the big and little things that have to be considered to avoid making the player feel unwell.
KillianReed

Post by KillianReed »

If it can be made, make it. Go for broke. If some people get sick, they just won't play it. If you are willing to do the work there will be an interest.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

After a short amount of time i've actually grown pretty accustomed to higher running speeds in the rift, but that is definitely one of the things that initially makes the player feel unwell. One of the things about classic Doom that makes it a good candidate, in my eyes at least, is the fact that the game doesnt rely on fast player speeds to still be a compelling experience. A slider could easily be added to the game's options that can lower the player's movement speed.

After this weekend i should have considerably more free time to actually start doing something.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Indecom wrote:A slider could easily be added to the game's options that can lower the player's movement speed.
Heck, you can do that yourself already. It's a simple [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki] mod to add a slider entry for [wiki=CVARs:Configuration#turbo]turbo[/wiki].
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

...and here we go. If we need to discuss changes to the gameplay for me it is a dead end. The fast movement is an integral part of the game.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

I havent owned my rift for very long, couple of months at the most now. I can play classic doom at full speed with no nausea. It's not something that's a deal breaker, you get accustomed to it rather quickly. And from what i've just been told, it wouldnt require any change to the gameplay beyond someone tweaking something if they choose to. There is no reason why the gameplay would need to be changed. That's merely something that was mentioned for user preferences.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Wait a minute... if I'm reading that Valve presentation correctly; they are suggesting to not bother with headtracking... so basically you're just playing with the Rift goggles and keyboard + mouse. Then what's the point? Might as well just play with those aftermarket 3D glasses (the one with red and blue lenses) and implement an anaglyph renderer to the game?

I thought the whole point of VR is being to look around by using your body movements as input... I wonder if in my lifetime I'd be able to see full VR games where head motion and gun aiming could be separate (a gun-like device actually moves the player's arms so you can aim anywhere regardless of where your camera is pointing)
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Lol yea, I wouldn't pay too much attention to that particular part. The thing that makes the rift so awesomely good at what it does is the head tracking. Not utilizing it will actually make you more uncomfortable than using it.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Nash wrote:I thought the whole point of VR is being to look around by using your body movements as input... I wonder if in my lifetime I'd be able to see full VR games where head motion and gun aiming could be separate (a gun-like device actually moves the player's arms so you can aim anywhere regardless of where your camera is pointing)
Do you know how much DECORATE would that need? :)

Return to “General”