[Resource] The flower garden

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Reactor

Re: [Resource] The flower garden

Post by Reactor »

Absolutely not. Since wildweasel warned me, I never share anything from commercial games (this happened when I tried to share the You Are Empty textures, and didn't see the modified commercial game rules).

Well. Most of the green grass are were meant for Tristania3D, but the static objects limit scrubbed my masterplan. The world-famous "Too many static objects" error occurred, and I had to start from the very beginning. This is where I decided that the events of Tristania3D should take place in December instead of July, and there should be showing instead of raining. I made most of the grass clumps 2-3 years ago from photos I took, hoping that these sprites might be useful some day. And so they were. They couldn't fit into Tristania3D, but luckily, GZDoom has almost nonexistent limitz, therefore I can happily apply them in Tristania 2.
About the plants and trees, they are photorips. Since all modern games uses modelz instead of sprites, my only option would be the hard rip, but that's way too many work just for some crummy plants. It's much easier to photograph these, and rip'em from there. I live at a nice little village, where we have big open fields, which means, I can happily build my game from them. As for the exotic ones (cactii, palm trees etc.), I have to visit some shops and take pictures there.
Dry grass and winter foliage is not a problem on winter ;)

The main reason why I have so many resources ready is that I'm collecting them almost since 2004, when I started the Tristania3D project :) Besides, there are stuff which I'm really bad at - such as programming and DECORATE. So in return for your help, I open my treasure chests for you ;)
Nash

Post by Nash »

It's not that I don't believe you - I mean, I guess some of the flowers and plants in this thread were really photographed by you, but what I mean is this:

As I've said, the grass in the last sheet of yours are exactly the ones that I found from a Google search and specifically, this forum post by an artist on blenderartists.org(post #8).

Edit for clarity: I really appreciate your efforts in sharing for the community but I think you need to be more transparent about your sources. Again, not saying that you're ripping resources from other places - perhaps some of the stuff you've put up could really have been photosourced by you. But in this specific case, I'm not so sure about that...
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I know that :) Actually, the grass in the last sheet was the one from your request thread. I liked them, and thought that the examples you mentioned may also be useful to you.
I also do Google image searches, as there are many useful photos. The problem with Google image search is that it depletes very quickly, and you have to wait 6 or so months, until new images appear. Luckily, Google image search results are not banned, so they're good to share. Most of them are in JPG format, and I also have to resize them, which means, technically it's pretty the same with photorips, since every time you resize something, shitcrap appears at the edges :( Imagine if we would need hi-res plants...
Gosh, I feel I need to learn modelling. I could really use Blender stuff instead of hard ripping.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I published only two of them so far, so here is the rest. Stumps of various sizes and kinds. I'll work on more dead trees now.
Attachments
Stump collectionz 1
Stump collectionz 1
Stump collectionz 2
Stump collectionz 2
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

Reactor wrote:I know that :) Actually, the grass in the last sheet was the one from your request thread. I liked them, and thought that the examples you mentioned may also be useful to you.
I also do Google image searches, as there are many useful photos. The problem with Google image search is that it depletes very quickly, and you have to wait 6 or so months, until new images appear. Luckily, Google image search results are not banned, so they're good to share. Most of them are in JPG format, and I also have to resize them, which means, technically it's pretty the same with photorips, since every time you resize something, shitcrap appears at the edges :( Imagine if we would need hi-res plants...
Gosh, I feel I need to learn modelling. I could really use Blender stuff instead of hard ripping.
In short you didn't photograph half of them and just resized them from google?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It might be wise, in the future, to take note of the web address of where you're getting your images.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Not really. I photographed more than 70% of them, only the first 50-60 plants images were from Google image seach. After that, this resource was exhausted, no new results were yielded, no matter what. As you could figure out, even Google will run out of usable results sooner or later...

Creating sprites out of 3D objects is harder than you think. Just resizing them would produce fugly results. It is very important to keep the size of each object, when I have to look for bushes-plants-stumps-whatev. A smaller plant must be photographed from above to give the perfect illusion, a tall one (a bush, a tree) must not be wider than 144 pixels, because it'll look fugly when constantly rotating, and so on. Most of the photos at Google is unusable, simply because they don't meet these requirements, so it's easier to grab mah camera and make some good photos from good angles.
And there is of course the removing of background and shitcrap. Sometimes (mostly at winter plants) it's wiser not to remove the shitcrap, but most of the time, I have to do it manually. The magic wand tool is only useful on images with entirely opposing coloured background, or it'll erase the image out as well.

As for the addresses, most of them does not even exist now. This is not "one" website I got the raw materials from, at least 40-50. It's much simpler to give Google search keywords instead of website addresses, but that's just my opinion...
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

Oh well, might want to reconsider mixing resources in from too many sources without credits.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I will give credits to the major sites once the project is finished. As for the small ones, the whole list would consume up a Stephen King-novel sized book, and as I said, most of the websites don't even exist now.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

This two sheets has long-wanted dead plants (perfect for autumn scenes), and swamp plants as well. I'll tend to use the autumn plants frequently at many levelz, but the swamp plants will only appear at A bridge too far?, so you can use them if you wish.

Source: "Ehető növények" field guide book (translated: Edible plants)
Attachments
Autumn plants - mostly...
Autumn plants - mostly...
Swampland plants
Swampland plants
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Autumn has come yet again. So I took my camera, and made some tasteful photos of autumn foliage here. Enjoy!
Attachments
Autumn plants 2
Autumn plants 2
Autumn2.PNG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

UPDATE: Added a sheet of fruits and vegetables, and a series of potted plants. I need to make more of these.
Attachments
Plants in pots
Plants in pots
Various fruits and vegetables
Various fruits and vegetables
Juste_ssgunner

Post by Juste_ssgunner »

sorry my english is bad i use a google translate ... :oops:

I loved these sprites look for a long time sprites of this type and never found similar ....

I could use all your sprites and if so, who should I give credits to? :?:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Sure, you can use as many as you desire!
Who to give credits? Well, roughly 30% of the sprites are from hidden object games (Witches Legacy, Midnight Mysteries and so on), the textures are from real-life photos made to be seamless.
Juste_ssgunner

Post by Juste_ssgunner »

thank you I love your work and sprites :)

Return to “Resources”