ArmedRecruit

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: ARMEDrecruit

Post by Captain J »

so i just made up a list of plentiful of casing drop sounds, small caliber into big caliber including with shotgun shells. it's free to use, also i think minigun spinning and stopping sounds can be found easily if you played virus or psychophobia, specially for classical skulltag minigun!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1gp9u4s1m2gqk92
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Captain J wrote:so i just made up a list of plentiful of casing drop sounds, small caliber into big caliber including with shotgun shells. it's free to use, also i think minigun spinning and stopping sounds can be found easily if you played virus or psychophobia, specially for classical skulltag minigun!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1gp9u4s1m2gqk92
Thanks man. I'll cut these up in audacity and throw them in.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Sorry for late reply, DTDSphere, but what I'm referring to with the Romero's head at 750 HP is that the pistol (I don't know how to quote), we'll use Doom 2 Map 30 as an example. So we're playing the machine gunner or shotgunner. The only accurate weapon either of them have is the pistol, and it takes a while to whittle away Romero's Head down with the pistol, so tons of monsters tend to spawn before you can kill Romero (and if archviles/pain elementals spawn, you're screwed, which gets worse since the fight takes longer and thus has a larger chance to summon them). It's possible with shotgunner.machine gunner, but it takes a long time unless you can get a perfect grenade shot right through the hole. However, this creates an imbalance: the Rifleman gets to get free cheap shots at Romero's head and thus can EZ-mode the whole icon of sin fight, so I'd recommend a 1.5X to 3X damage factor for the pistol weapons, just for the Romero Head, OR decrease it down to a low health value, and make it resistant to the Rifle.

Also, DV2 Map 23 is a terrible map to demonstrate the shotgunner, as you're not going to get to use the shotgun very much! (It'll mostly be grenade spam) DV2 map 23 is a map where you literally never get shells aside from the beginning room. It IS, however, a great slot VII demonstration map (It's where I test all Samsara ultimate weaponry).

An ACTUAL map I'd recommend for demonstrating mods is MAP09 of Sunder. It's long, impressive-looking, hard as all hell, and gets bits of action from many weapons - SSG, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, and of course, the BFG 9000. If that's not down your alley, Map 27 of Scythe II is pretty cool too (In case you can't figure out, I love really large maps).
EDIT: Map 21 of Deus Vult II is actually the best mod demonstration map. It features basically everything a map needs to.

I can't figure out why you made the player run slower. It's kind of a pain, since it's really easy to misjudge and fail a theoretically simple jump (Here, attempt the annoying jump section of Sunder Map 10 and 11, and tell me that it's not a pain)

If you're making rockets get replaced with grenades/stimpacks, here's what I'd recommend:
1 grenade for a single rocket pickup <== makes sense.
A pile of 3 for a rocket box replacement <== makes sense too.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Untitled wrote:Sorry for late reply, DTDSphere, but what I'm referring to with the Romero's head at 750 HP is that the pistol (I don't know how to quote), we'll use Doom 2 Map 30 as an example. So we're playing the machine gunner or shotgunner. The only accurate weapon either of them have is the pistol, and it takes a while to whittle away Romero's Head down with the pistol, so tons of monsters tend to spawn before you can kill Romero (and if archviles/pain elementals spawn, you're screwed, which gets worse since the fight takes longer and thus has a larger chance to summon them). It's possible with shotgunner.machine gunner, but it takes a long time unless you can get a perfect grenade shot right through the hole. However, this creates an imbalance: the Rifleman gets to get free cheap shots at Romero's head and thus can EZ-mode the whole icon of sin fight, so I'd recommend a 1.5X to 3X damage factor for the pistol weapons, just for the Romero Head, OR decrease it down to a low health value, and make it resistant to the Rifle.
Map30 is EZ-mode for all classes, just get to the button which brings up the ledge, stand on it, and use your special weapon, grenades or primary to take out the Romero head.

Untitled wrote:Also, DV2 Map 23 is a terrible map to demonstrate the shotgunner, as you're not going to get to use the shotgun very much! (It'll mostly be grenade spam) DV2 map 23 is a map where you literally never get shells aside from the beginning room. It IS, however, a great slot VII demonstration map (It's where I test all Samsara ultimate weaponry).

An ACTUAL map I'd recommend for demonstrating mods is MAP09 of Sunder. It's long, impressive-looking, hard as all hell, and gets bits of action from many weapons - SSG, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, and of course, the BFG 9000. If that's not down your alley, Map 27 of Scythe II is pretty cool too (In case you can't figure out, I love really large maps).
EDIT: Map 21 of Deus Vult II is actually the best mod demonstration map. It features basically everything a map needs to.
Thank you. DV2 Map23 wasn't that fun to play. It was mostly me sitting back in the chaingunner room throwing grenades everywhere.
Untitled wrote:I can't figure out why you made the player run slower. It's kind of a pain, since it's really easy to misjudge and fail a theoretically simple jump (Here, attempt the annoying jump section of Sunder Map 10 and 11, and tell me that it's not a pain)
You can make all jumps you can in vanilla doom using the knife.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I don't think it's documented though that the knife extends your mid-air flight distance with its lunge, at least not anywhere officially, although I noticed that once upon a time and I think I may have told you about it.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

twinkieman93 wrote:I don't think it's documented though that the knife extends your mid-air flight distance with its lunge, at least not anywhere officially, although I noticed that once upon a time and I think I may have told you about it.
It's kinda obvious in my opinion. The knife thrusts you forward making you faster. Playing ARMED with CTF, a lot of players would run with the knife when they weren't in gun fights.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

This is still being worked on. I did implement sounds for the bullet casings hitting the floor, but I removed it because I didn't like it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

hmm, that's pretty sad news. but i'm appreciate for using my few recommanded sounds.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Alright, just added a new gameplay video for the rifle class.

About the current version of ARMEDrecruit, the preview version is probably the final version. The next version would just use voxels instead of meshes and that would be the only difference.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Been playing Dark Tartarus...
Thinking of making the effects of the Tome of Power protect you against Archviles. What do ya reckon?

A. Yes, protect you from all damage from Archviles.

B. Yes, 75% damage reduction from Archviles.

C. No.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Playing dark tartarus with this? Braaaaaave man.

Hm. I'd love option A; but I feel option B would be more balanced.

Though what inspired the question?
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Untitled wrote:Playing dark tartarus with this? Braaaaaave man.

Hm. I'd love option A; but I feel option B would be more balanced.

Though what inspired the question?
Running out into the open in a room full of Archviles.

I was just thinking that maybe you shouldn't take so much damage from them once you're using the Tome of Power.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

I think it'd be nice; encountering more than one at once is usually "you're screwed" territory. Then again, it always has been, but ARMED recruit is particularly bad with this scenario unless the archviles are bunched in a way that makes them easy grenade targets.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

God darn it. Found a bug, you have inf grenades when you have a tome of power. It doesn't use up ammo when you cook the grenades.

I'll fix that and make the tome of power protect you from archviles a bit. (after I work out how, I thought simple 'damagefactor "fire", 0.25' would have done the trick under actor TomeOfPowerx.)

I'll also make "Reload" the reload button for G/ZDoom instead of creating a new one.

Then this mod will be 100% final complete finished done it's done.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Gunna release the last version of this mod I'll ever release soon, just after I finish up the new bar HUD graphic.

Changelog:
-Scaled the flamethrower flames from 0.6 to 0.3.
-Instead of Rocket Ammo spawning a Stimpack every time, it now has a 25% chance of spawning Grenades instead.
-Fixed bug where using a Tome of Power, you would have infinite cooked grenades with weapons that reload.
-Removed Interpolate Health and Armor from the HUD because it's stupid and annoying.
-Brand new bar HUD to replace the terrible old one.
-Finalised entire project. Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way.

As usual there will be a version just for Zandronum as well as G+ZDoom.

New bar HUD layout.

Response to my last post: I changed my mind about making Archviles pathetic when you're charged up with a Tome of Power.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”