GZShmup

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LilWhiteMouse

Re: GZShmup

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Fair enough. I actually wondered how hard it would be to have a score counter separate from the aggravator, but if it's too much effort or isn't worth the effort in the first place, you don't need to bother just for me. :P
The score system isn't gone, just re-purposed. All it would take to re-instate the original behavior is a few checks.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:Fair enough. I actually wondered how hard it would be to have a score counter separate from the aggravator, but if it's too much effort or isn't worth the effort in the first place, you don't need to bother just for me. :P
The score system isn't gone, just re-purposed. All it would take to re-instate the original behavior is a few checks.
Not a second counter, like a RealScore or whatever also given to the player?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Not a second counter, like a RealScore or whatever also given to the player?
Right now, destroying enemies gives the player points (but you slowly lose points automatically). When you reach 1500 points (bar is full), the points are cleared, and the boss appears. Rinse and repeat after defeating the boss. If I do a score mode, the aggression bar would be replaced with a numeric counter. After reaching the score goal (original was set to 500), the boss would appear. Defeat the boss, score goal doubles (your score remains unaltered), rinse and repeat. [EDIT] In a score mode, you would never lose points like I currently do in aggression mode. [EDIT2] The modes would be exclusive to each other though, if that's what you're asking? No score in aggression, no aggression in score (,no score or aggression in survival).
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Ohhhh, no no no, I was only asking for a simple measure of "progress" on top of the Aggravator bar you have. One counter that goes down (the red bar) by not killing shit, and another counter, the numerical score, that doesn't go down but has absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I don't typically care about scores, but... Seems like kind of an immutable tradition. :P

Also, "the Aggravator" sounds like a weapon which does minimal damage but forces monsters to target you. Or maybe target each other. (That would be fun to make.)

Or maybe a terrible Marvel villain.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Project Dark Fox wrote:another counter, the numerical score, that doesn't go down but has absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever.
Compromised. The total cumulative score is only shown on the normal status bar (which I finally added). Full screen status bar removes it.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Tweaked some of the effects, added sounds.
Added an armor item. Restores 10 points of armor.
Halved the recharge speed on the shields (takes twice as long to restore then before).
Replaced the ZDOOM bonus with GZSHMUP.

[EDIT]
Fixed a bug where portal stars were being spawned with 0 speed. As a result they'd just pile up, continually bringing down the FPS.
Player missiles fire a little different now.
Auto turret is a now a laser for improved accuracy. Still only does 1 damage though.
Added a launch sequence.

[EDIT2] Apr 17
Improved(?) the sound efficiancy, so hopefully not so many sounds will try to play at once.
Added a simple Game Over message, and starts over with out the Doom intermission screen.
Improved the shield ship behaviour. Easier to destroy, and the shield only bumps you away from in front.

Not sure what else I want to do with this, might just pack it up and send it to the archives.
[EDIT3] Post release changes
When you destroy either a Boss subpart, or it's turrets, the model gets a texture swap to indicate it's destroyed.
Boss names will no longer repeat until the pool has been used up (just the proper name part though).
Enemies that you don't destroy will reduce your aggression (but not your total score).
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/flyer.7z
Score mode, and Survival mode have been added. Selected via the difficulty menu. Survival mode is a bit crude ATM though.
Two more options for the Boss ships.
Another enemy type.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

This is a technical triumph! Absolutely great work you are doing.
Boreas249

Post by Boreas249 »

Whoa... :shock: That is pretty awesome, downloading now.

BTW, the missiles kinda remind me of Tyrian... God I love that game.......
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Fantastic!
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Compartmentalizing the ACS so adding/using features is easier for me. This is to pave the way for a possible Story mode, where I can make specific missions. What could possibly go wrong?
Lywren, Bittersweet, HQuest, HQuest 2 (2b, 2c), Hellspawn/A New Hellspawn 2, Stargate Bastet (aka Chosen 2), Power DoLLS:IA, Spirit High.....
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/flyer.7z
Nothing really new has been added, I've just tried to clean up the code to make adding story mode easier. Hopefully I haven't buggered anything up. Story mode is accessible, but it's just a quick test to make sure things are working as intended.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have to say that this is just phenomenal. When I played the first version I was amazed by it but I am equally amazed by how much you have improved it from the previous version every time that I play.

Perhaps something like this could be included as a mini-game within the story of a larger level set. eg Imagine a Star Wars mod where you travel from planet to planet carrying out a FPS mission on each one but the travelling is done via this game.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Enjay wrote:Perhaps something like this could be included as a mini-game within the story of a larger level set. eg Imagine a Star Wars mod where you travel from planet to planet carrying out a FPS mission on each one but the travelling is done via this game.
The thought crossed my mind, but it's more work then I'm prepared to invest ATM.. I've had to take liberties with the player actor to make it work, which wouldn't translate back to a FPS. The FPS player, and SHMUP player need to be separate classes as a result. AFAIK, the only way to switch back and forth is using Morph hacks.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”