Spriting Tutorial - V.2 - Two-Point Perspective Added

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Spriting Tutorial - V.2 - Two-Point Perspective Added

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Here is the WIP of my newest spriting tutorial. Currently, it only introduces some basic perspective elements, such as one-point perspective, and the necessary explanation. Once I finish 2-point perspective, I will begin the actual spriting part. All explanations are in the PDF, so I don't need to constantly post things here.

Unfortunately, I can't attach PDF formats directly, so I used Sendspace.

EDIT: 4/03/11 - Added Section on two-point perspective

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c3s4su
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Re: Spriting Tutorial - V.2 - WIP

Postby esselfortium » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I was really expecting to be disappointed and have this be an april fools joke.

I was pleasantly surprised with what looks like the beginnings of an extremely informative and comprehensive tutorial! Thanks for the time you've put into putting this together, Eriance. I look forward to the rest of it :)
esselfortium

Postby Enjay » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Interesting. It looks like it could well be going somewhere. It seems well explained and informative.

BTW, boxes, not toxes. :P
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby cq75 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:11 pm

looks great so far, Eriance, I hope this gets finished :)
cq75
I've given myself a number, and taken away my name.

Postby Tragos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:59 pm

This would have saved me so much trial and error if it came out a year sooner. I'd be interested in helping expand this document since I have some experience digitizing sprites. For example when shooting video of an object you want to use "Optical Zoom" and not "Digital zoom". In most cases the best result will be moving the camera as close as to the object being captured before it starts to lose focus. It's great that someone is finally writing a tutorial about this, hope to see tips on shading and animation next! As for lighting, I recommend using natural light. High noon works best since even a poor man's digital camera can take great pictures when the lighting is good.
Tragos
2d > 3d "Remember: short, controlled bursts"
Banned User

Postby TheDoomGuy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 pm

This is excellent, mate.

Not that Eriance's vast, basically professional spriting knowledge isn't enough *slurp slurp* , but I'd love to see a vast, pooled-together (Wiki, perhaps?) resource of skilled spriters with tips, tricks, and tools-of-their-trade. There have been so many valuable lessons I've learned from so many different people with regard to spriting, but it seems every artist has something of their own to share. Eriance's tutorials, Tragos' tips... it would be great.

Damn, that's actually a pretty good idea. It would be great to have a go-to place for that kind of thing--most tutorials are convoluted and expensive, and the good ones are always so isolated.
TheDoomGuy
The man himself.

Postby cq75 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

I like the wiki idea, I'd help out where I could as well, though I'm not as good as Eriance.

maybe we could just add a drawing section to the zdoom wiki?
cq75

Postby Tragos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm not sure how many artists experience this, but when you finally discover the right way to do something (aha moment) it almost becomes a trade secret. I poured over a slew of books on raycasting, arcade graphics and stop motion before I learned how to make it all work right. It sounds a bit greedy but I'm a little reluctant to share all my secrets though I like steering people in the right direction. I'm not allowed to show off any of the graphics, but with my instruction Apothem made some pretty awesome source images for sprites. He still had to apply the "Trial and error method" but that's how you improve.
Tragos
2d > 3d "Remember: short, controlled bursts"
Banned User

Postby TheDoomGuy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Tragos wrote:I'm not sure how many artists experience this, but when you finally discover the right way to do something (aha moment) it almost becomes a trade secret. I poured over a slew of books on raycasting, arcade graphics and stop motion before I learned how to make it all work right. It sounds a bit greedy but I'm a little reluctant to share all my secrets though I like steering people in the right direction. I'm not allowed to show off any of the graphics, but with my instruction Apothem made some pretty awesome source images for sprites. He still had to apply the "Trial and error method" but that's how you improve.

Yes, I agree. But this sacrifice of ego would result in a golden-age (blatant exaggeration) of original resources. Definitely worth, if not eradicating, aiding in the vicious war against the Duke 3D pump-action whoring.
TheDoomGuy
The man himself.

Postby cq75 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 pm

I understand not wanting to share drawing secrets. If you don't want to give something good away for free, by all means keep it to yourself, that's what I'm going to do with the games and electronics I intend to sell, so I know where you're coming from.

Then again... it's not like you're losing skill by giving some tips to somebody else, or that having more people who can draw makes you any less of an artist... if that were true, nobody would write books on perspective.

Personally, if I were good enough, I'd like to tell people what I know, so they can grasp how to draw things well. I wouldn't give away drawings, but I like the idea of giving people like me a basis to make great stuff of their own.

EDIT - another thing is, even if you did teach somebody how to draw, people would recognize a rip off. I think this falls more under teaching rather than a ripfest, you can't reallly steal skill, you can only steal the product of skill.
cq75

Postby TheDoomGuy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 pm

I think the main foundation of being able to anything graphics-related is having an advanced ability to draw. Principals such as anatomy and proportion are fundamental to getting anything done very well.

I think what most people are interested in is improving their ability to do coloring/shading. Most people who sprite can make at least a half-way decent outline of their sprite, but once it comes to coloring and shading, there lies the challenge.

For instance, one impressive thing with regard to Eriance's abilities as an artist/spriter lie in his keen sense of shading, texturing, detailing and color balance. A lot of the time you see simplistic, ball shading with a few colors to represent the light (which ends up, most of the time, looking like a gradiant... I'm guilty of this at times).
TheDoomGuy
The man himself.

Postby Enjay » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:34 am

TheDoomGuy wrote:Duke 3D pump-action whoring.

I'd love to know why people find the inclusion of certain weapons in a WAD so offensive when wads that use the original stock weapons must outnumber the ones that use the Duke shotty, Shadow warrior... whatever, etc etc 100 times.

Oh gno! This WAD uses the Doom shotgun! I feel so cheated. I've seen it thousands of times before. :?
Enjay

Postby wildweasel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:03 am

Enjay wrote:
TheDoomGuy wrote:Duke 3D pump-action whoring.

I'd love to know why people find the inclusion of certain weapons in a WAD so offensive when wads that use the original stock weapons must outnumber the ones that use the Duke shotty, Shadow warrior... whatever, etc etc 100 times.

Oh gno! This WAD uses the Doom shotgun! I feel so cheated. I've seen it thousands of times before. :?

I don't know about everybody else, but I only prefer wads to have the original weapons because that makes it easier to load a replacement pack.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Enjay » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:22 am

Fair point, but that is a different matter. The problem there is not the perceived over use of a particular resource but compatibility with additional resources that you want to use to replace the original content anyway.
Enjay

Postby Gez » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 am

As far as weapons go, I prefer when the originals are there because I like them. New weapons are usually either gratuitous reskins, me-too additions, or complete replacement. The former is useless, the intermediate is cumbersome, and the latter takes away the guns I like so they'd better be at least as cool.

Monsters are a different issue. Basically, the weapons define what you can do. Monsters, textures, props and the like define what you confront. So I understand a greater amount of pickiness about weapons, which are the identity of the player, than about well, everything else.
Gez

Next

Return to Editing (Archive)