[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PhAyzoN
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Deimos

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by PhAyzoN »

I always thought of it as a wooden object, it's usually seen near [charred] trees and stuff (See E3M1)

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked and theres actually no stalagmites in the beginning of E3M1 like I previously believed, just 2 types of trees :o
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

- :idea: Would this be a good idea to satisfy everyone?
-Making 2 versions of some sprites that are open to interpretation, and that could mean 2 packs, so people could choose which to download and use.
-OR, should I take a poll for things like this? Maybe the alternate packs would be better... idk

-Here's a third idea: making it "open source" as a pk3 instead of a WAD, so people could replace any unwanted sprites with the preffered one :)
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Salad Viking
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: In high orbit

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Salad Viking »

I always figured the stalagmite was actually a spiky, hellish-looking bush with the branches and leaves removed that was misnamed. It doesn't look like a stalagmite at all. Now the grey stalagmite looks like a stalagmite.
User avatar
JustinC
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by JustinC »

are you guys using photoshop? or something using layers?
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

JustinC wrote:are you guys using photoshop? or something using layers?
We don't use layers, that process is outdated and unusefull, that's what I call "D-Res", as in overlaying detail. The process is a bit confidentiall :lol: :?: If you'd like to know what we do I can make a video tutorial and upload, so anyone can see. Should I do that?
Me wrote:- :idea: Would this be a good idea to satisfy everyone?
-Making 2 versions of some sprites that are open to interpretation, and that could mean 2 packs, so people could choose which to download and use.
-OR, should I take a poll for things like this? Maybe the alternate packs would be better... idk

-Here's a third idea: making it "open source" as a pk3 instead of a WAD, so people could replace any unwanted sprites with the preffered one :)
As the 3rd option states, I think the best thing would be editable PNG's in a PK3, so users could choose a version. Should it be like that for the sprites?
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
InsanityBringer
Posts: 3386
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: opening the forbidden box

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by InsanityBringer »

Mtzfire wrote:The process is a bit confidentiall :lol: :?:
heh
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

InsanityBringer wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:The process is a bit confidentiall :lol: :?:
heh
I was joking :lol: OKAY: I'm making a video, I already had one, but it was using a crappy free site, so I'll make a new one.
Actually I think it would be great to see people use the process, so I'll upload and post as soon as I can :wink:

--Just to be clear: I can make 2 versions of sprites with varying viewpoints, and I will, so that anyone can replace files in a PK3 :!:
User avatar
Xaser
 
 
Posts: 10772
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:15 pm

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Xaser »

Mtzfire wrote:We don't use layers, that process is outdated and unusefull
For heaven's sake, it's Halloween, not April Fools. Image
User avatar
Sonnyboy
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: A pinch here, a dab there

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Sonnyboy »

Xaser wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:We don't use layers, that process is outdated and unusefull
For heaven's sake, it's Halloween, not April Fools. Image
And a resounding "Heh" swept the forum.
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

Xaser wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:We don't use layers, that process is outdated and unusefull
For heaven's sake, it's Halloween, not April Fools. Image
Lol ok I chose a very bad way to say it. I apologize :| Here:
-We use software like Photoshop, yes, anything like that can work. What I meant was that we don't do that old process of just enlarging the sprites and making them blurry, then making a new layer and just drawing detail over it. That would take a lifetime, and would feel like Hell.
We rather work with the original image, "maneuver it" as it is blocky, "reshape it," and get exactly the look of the original sprites without recreating them to what they don't look like.
-Sorry again :?
EDIT: Just to say, though, that was an exellent process, and I hope to use it someday to make DOOM2RPG-like sprites
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wartorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Wartorn »

Mtzfire wrote:
JustinC wrote:are you guys using photoshop? or something using layers?
We don't use layers, that process is outdated and unusefull, that's what I call "D-Res", as in overlaying detail. The process is a bit confidentiall :lol: :?:
The smudge tool is not the same thing as "overlaying detail". Detail is applied by giving additional depth, not completely flattening them inside a single canvas as this video by Pelle demonstrates.
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

Wartorn wrote:The smudge tool is not the same thing as "overlaying detail". Detail is applied by giving additional depth, not completely flattening them inside a single canvas as this video by Pelle demonstrates.
Yup, there it is. That's the process we started with. The result is nice :D That's not what we're doing now, but is VERY similar :D We went for a more cartoony DOOM style of sprites, like if they were hand-drawn rather than 3d shaded, but that video is very usefull

-OK, I hope I don't have to make the new video now, because that one is very usefull!! :D
EDIT: thanks for posting that video
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wartorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Wartorn »

Mtzfire wrote:Yup, there it is. That's the process we started with. The result is nice :D That's not what we're doing now, but is VERY similar :D We went for a more cartoony DOOM style of sprites, like if they were hand-drawn rather than 3d shaded, but that video is very usefull
Then please tell me how different the approach you are taking now makes it look any better in comparison, as to me they look all the same :|
User avatar
Mtzfire
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

Wartorn wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:Yup, there it is. That's the process we started with. The result is nice :D That's not what we're doing now, but is VERY similar :D We went for a more cartoony DOOM style of sprites, like if they were hand-drawn rather than 3d shaded, but that video is very usefull
Then please tell me how different the approach you are taking now makes it look any better in comparison, as to me they look all the same :|
EDITED: OKAY, I'm recording the work I'm doing on this sprite:
Image Now, I'm working VERY quickly, so it might fail in the end, but I'm making the videos in parts, in case the final isn't very good.
--The process may OR may not work on editing monster sprites, it all depends on how good you master it--
User avatar
Wartorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Wartorn »

Mtzfire wrote:Also, thank you for asking and thanks for that feedback Wartorn. If I'm still inclear, I can post an example with the old process, and an example with the latest. Should I do that?
I've already seen a little bit of Blox's stuff so I'm aware of how the process is done, but to be honest the prominent issues I'm seeing in these sprites is that in some places they look completely flat on a canvas.

For example the Skulls would look a little more convincing if you had focused a tad bit more on the darker shades, progressively grasping the lighter shades and respectively changing them to transition better, all while keeping the depth in place. It's pretty hard to explain in retrospect so I'll just let this random doohickey explain it.
Image

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”