[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JustinC

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by JustinC »

Spoiler:
Last edited by JustinC on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Well, the main reason to why I usually do things the (speed > (quality^2)) way, is because I'd like to have a release date (at least for the demon) in a couple of months.
The only obstacle is me, myself - and my random waves of motivation (and skill). Some times I might make a sprite in a day, while other times it's skipped to weeks. Hopefully that won't happen again, as I kinda lost speed after that.

I better start work on the next sprite, and close the holes when I'm done. ..I skipped two sprites as of now, but I'll wait until I'm done with the rest of the rotations. So that if I improve again, I'll have to remake two sprites less.
Though I'm in a bit of a decision trap between the baron, and the archvile as my next sprite set. Guess time will tell.
I'm done bumping this, at least for a while now. :P
At least I have two bottles of Pepsi to make the process more enjoyable. B)

Edit: Heh, I adore criticism. Which is why I'm drawing most of the small details now. I'm trying to be fast because, it's more challenging to make good sprites at a fast rate, which slowly enough develops into better speed/quality ratios. Which is a good thing I guess, and I have no artsy talents whatsoever. I'm just a very (read: very) fast learner. Although that's a case of knowledge, the more I know - the faster I learn. Which kinda explains how I suddenly became great at English. (I don't know a damn about German though, so the progress is at snail speed.)
So for me, knowledge really IS power. [/shamelessusageof'knowledgeispower']
Last edited by Blox on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Spoiler:
Last edited by JustinC on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Spoiler:
EDIT: The knee has been moved into the shin??? XD Just look closely. His leg is bent, that's why his knee is so low. All there is to fixing that is shading, and done.
Well I know MY sprites need some quick edits, but the Demon is looking perfect, I'd rather not see him filled in random spots and stains.
@Blox, there is that huge difference between the first and rest Demon sprites, though, could you edit or redo the front angle?
Last edited by Mtzfire on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blox

Post by Blox »

I'll do it when I'm finished with the current, and next rotation. (*4*6, then *5)
Because then I'll most likely reach some (read: some) kind of artistic limit. And then I'm going to remake all the 'unfitting' walking sprites. Which HOPEFULLY, should have a consistent level of detail.

Also, don't let me take my time to make sprites..
Spoiler:
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by JustinC on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Spoiler:
EDIT: Also, I didn't know he had bloodstains on his leg, it looks like... gore, but that can be changed...
EDIT2: I need to know the marine's boot color, if it isn't red as I made it. Is is a grey-brown color like those in the Doomguy?
Last edited by Mtzfire on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miracle Man

Post by Miracle Man »

It's the same as the former human. Little red shoes or low boots and blood stains.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

NOTE: Okay, so, I tried getting some serious detail and realism effect on the sprites we make, but it's still just an
experiment of mine. So I transformed Pelle's Cacodemon, by adding shade and lights to make him detailed and
almost look 3D.

-Here's what I got:
ImageImage

Was the transformation good?
(and yeah, took shitloads of time to make... but, whatever)
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Mtzfire wrote:NOTE: Okay, so, I tried getting some serious detail and realism effect on the sprites we make, but it's still just an
experiment of mine. So I transformed Pelle's Cacodemon, by adding shade and lights to make him detailed and
almost look 3D.

-Here's what I got:
ImageImage

Was the transformation good?
(and yeah, took shitloads of time to make... but, whatever)
I think it looks good. Definitely something that's probably necessary so that everything doesn't look cartoony. As long as you make it consistent with the rest of the sprites.

Do you intend to make the weapon sprites hi-res as well? And what about the textures? Are you just going to use the hi-res texture pack with it?
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Thats the ticket. :D
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Mtzfire wrote:Was the transformation good?
Definitely. ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's not bad, but it illustrates nicely another problem of these hi-res things: detail symmetry. When a low-res sprite is eerily symmetrical, it's not much of a problem because, hey, it's low-res, the fine details wouldn't appear. When a high-res sprite is entirely symmetrical, though, including little insignificant things like pock marks or wrinkle shadows, then it becomes too blatant IMO. (Perfect symmetry does not naturally happen. If you take someone's photography and retouch it with Photoshop or something to give that person's face a perfect symmetry, you get a clear uncanny valley effect.)
gh0st

Post by gh0st »

I agree on the symmetry bit, just needs a bit of variation and it would be excellent, its almost strange seeing these sprites in hi-res, it leads me to thinking, how the hell did they think up the cacodemons anatomy? Its a floating, plasma-spitting meatball with horns.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

If you look at the Cacodemon page on the Doom wiki, you can see that the sprite was cropped from an image of an Astral Dreadnought, a creature from AD&D so I don't think id Software paid much attention to the anatomy and just settled on something they thought looked pretty cool :P

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”