Hacx 2.0 -- Hacxmas Alpha!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should Hacx 2.0 enable jumping?

Yes
70%
No
15%
Don't Care
15%

Total votes: 159

Mike12

Re: Hacx 2.0 -- Now in Development!

Post by Mike12 »

NeuralStunner wrote:Nice. :)

Hrm... Middle frame, bottom row - What's up with that one? I never thought that frame looked good, being on a track I don't think the top bar should move down. Not sure wher the original artist was going with it. I think it'd look better as a previous frame (right side, top row) with the expelled energy modified. Make sense?
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd too, but I decided to make it anyways for completion's sake.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Scheiße, I forget to get the rest of the uzi's reloading frames done.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, not bad -- the '5' is still kinda odd looking, but it'll do otherwise. A problem, though -- the edges are antialiased against the cyan background, making them difficult to use.

[EDIT] Upon further inspection, the problem is that the attached image is scaled down. Maybe try uploading to imgur instead if the scaling was done forum-side. I can't use the sprites as-is.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Xaser wrote:Hmm, not bad -- the '5' is still kinda odd looking, but it'll do otherwise. A problem, though -- the edges are antialiased against the cyan background, making them difficult to use.

[EDIT] Upon further inspection, the problem is that the attached image is scaled down. Maybe try uploading to imgur instead if the scaling was done forum-side. I can't use the sprites as-is.
Ah, try right-click and view image. That's just a filter that the forum seems to put it through, using 'view image' will open up the image link as it actually is.

And yeah, the 5 is still a bit odd, but I thought that since I'm a bit on the slow side lately due to other things going on, I'd put out a usable version to replace the cut-off version in the game and then fine-tune it later.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

It's not working for me. Photobucket is scaling it down no matter what I try. Would you mind quickly imgur-ing it? I know for sure it works. ;)
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Xaser wrote:It's not working for me. Photobucket is scaling it down no matter what I try. Would you mind quickly imgur-ing it? I know for sure it works. ;)

That better?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Yep! Thanks there -- that'll do nicely, sir. :)
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Oh crap, I'm still not done with the 1.2 version, I better get on it!
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

That look's badass! I literally cannot find anything to fault it for nor anything to criticize on that weapon's design.
Xaser

Re: Hacx 2.0 -- Hacxmas Alpha!

Post by Xaser »

That image is a link. I've put together a 5-map alpha to share for the holidays. What better way to celebrate Christmas than by celebrating Hacxmas? ;)

For the curious and easily-distracted, here's a quick gameplay video showing off one of the heavily-revamped maps n' new things:

We'll be making another big push for contributors soon, so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested in lending a hand. Until then, grab the alpha and start Hacxing away!

Big thanks to Cage for the spiffy art, as always. ;)
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Plays great so far! And here's an idle frame with a considerably less fugly '5' (since it's not even visible on the other frames)

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I know its not a high priority, but I hope there will be some updated effects in later version. Effects such as blood, sparks, bullet puff and water splashes. Also, how goes the cyberspace levels? I would expect something like System Shock.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Very nice, i liked the atmosphere of hacx, and this seems to get that to the next level.

Also, those redone weapons sprites are excessively sexy.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

I've just played it; It's awesome. I'm happy to see that HacX is finally going to be finished, and its a lot more beatyfull! Gameplay looks diferent to, and I've loved that.

Just one thing that I thought a little "odd":
Spoiler:
The old non-jumping style sometimes doesn't let me to collect items that falls in a higher sector, like in the ss. I couldn't get that clip.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I think the only way that clip would've gotten up there is because of ZDoom's "enhanced" item dropping behavior (where they jump up into the air a bit), which can't really be considered "Hacx Standard" behavior since EE doesn't do it. Maybe I should set some default compat flags? Minor issue, either way, but it's an inconsistency for sure.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”