[question] Heretic Inventory Items (LWM, do you know this?)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

[question] Heretic Inventory Items (LWM, do you know this?)

Postby Mr. Tee » Sat May 29, 2004 4:22 pm

In Heretic, it seems that no matter how many copies of an item you have, if you exit a level, you start the next level with only one of that item.

Is this supposed to happen? I'm not sure if this is a bug so I decided to post it here first.

Another Heretic Question: In my ZDoom auto execute config file, I set both FALL DAMAGE and HEXEN FALL DAMAGE to ON, however when I load heretic, they are off. Essentially, Heretic seems to ignore the DMFLAGS in the auto execute file completely.

(I know I've posted a lot about Heretic bugs/stuff today, but I actually really like this game)
Mr. Tee
Waiting for ZDoom Editing Demo 2.6.1? Wait longer! Life is very chaotic now.

Re: [question] Heretic Inventory Items (LWM, do you know thi

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 29, 2004 4:26 pm

Mr. Tee wrote:In Heretic, it seems that no matter how many copies of an item you have, if you exit a level, you start the next level with only one of that item.

Is this supposed to happen? I'm not sure if this is a bug so I decided to post it here first.

Yes, this is supposed to happen. and the Wings of Wrath are removed completely.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Curunir » Sat May 29, 2004 4:26 pm

You're not alone! I like Heretic a lot too.

And I think having only one item of each type left on entering a new level is default behaviour.

[Edit] Graf, will you please stop posting simultaneously with me? :D [/Edit]
Last edited by Curunir on Sat May 29, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Xaser » Sat May 29, 2004 4:26 pm

This is not a bug. This was the behavior in the original which was made to prevent item stockpiling.

EDIT: Wow! I saw this post, started typing, and 2 people jumped in ahead of me. Heh.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 29, 2004 4:27 pm

I have seen two people posting an answer to the same question at the same time. But three is a first if I'm not mistaken... ;)
Graf Zahl

Postby Xaser » Sat May 29, 2004 4:29 pm

No. Remember the thread about that guy saying that he was able to step up on monsters when they died? About 4 people or so said the exact same thing. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Mr. Tee » Sat May 29, 2004 4:29 pm

Cool, such rapid responds! :):):)

What about the auto execute thing?
Mr. Tee
Waiting for ZDoom Editing Demo 2.6.1? Wait longer! Life is very chaotic now.

Postby Enjay » Sun May 30, 2004 7:17 am

Dunno about the autoexec thing.

I noticed the inventory thing quite some time ago when I first started using Hexen flechettes as grenades in Doom. I asked about it and got answers similar to those you see here. It is, however, worth pointing out that items are preserved from one level to the next within a hub.

If you want to keep items from one level to the next, exit your level using a script. The script should check the inventory and set a global variable for every item you want to preserve, then exit the level. When you enter the next level, an enter script should read the variables and set your inventory accordingly. (Thanks to Randy for explaining to me how to do this.)

The grenade example I posted some time ago does this. The grenade display needs to be updated because it was originally done when Zdoom did not put inventory items on the status bar in Doom mode, but the principle of counting the inventory items still works.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/

About 3/4 of the way down the page.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun May 30, 2004 8:21 am

Enjay wrote:Dunno about the autoexec thing.

I noticed the inventory thing quite some time ago when I first started using Hexen flechettes as grenades in Doom. I asked about it and got answers similar to those you see here. It is, however, worth pointing out that items are preserved from one level to the next within a hub.

Interestingly, Hexen does not reduce the amount of inventory items to 1 - even when changing hubs. So both methods are available and ZDoom decides which to use based on the next level being part of a hub or not. Why not simply turn this behavior into a MAPINFO flag so each mapper can use the method he prefers? I think that's the best solution.
Graf Zahl

Postby Enjay » Sun May 30, 2004 9:30 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Interestingly, Hexen does not reduce the amount of inventory items to 1 - even when changing hubs. So both methods are available and ZDoom decides which to use based on the next level being part of a hub or not.

Yes, I noticed that too, but I'd forgotten quite how it works.

If you have a level that finishes normally, but if the level that follows it is part of a hub, then the inventory items are preserved. Presumably since most (all?) levels in Hexen are part of a hub then the inventory never/rarely gets reduced. This behaviour is certainly preserved when using Heretic/Hexen inventory items in Doom.

A MAPINFO option would be useful. Do you imagine a global "do_not_reset_inventory" type of command, or a map by map one?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun May 30, 2004 9:33 am

Enjay wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Interestingly, Hexen does not reduce the amount of inventory items to 1 - even when changing hubs. So both methods are available and ZDoom decides which to use based on the next level being part of a hub or not.

A MAPINFO option would be useful. Do you imagine a global "do_not_reset_inventory" type of command, or a map by map one?

A per map setting would be best. Then you could preserve the inventory where needed and dump it everywhere else.
Graf Zahl

Return to General