DooM II : Inheritance (RC2 Now available!!)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dancso

Re: DooM II : Inheritance (Public Release One!!!!!!)

Post by Dancso »

Awesome. I just finished playing through doom 2 with this (with gzdoom, duh :|) and by the end i was level 20, had all weapon skills to the max (no force learned) max will and also had the two upgrades for the arachnotron weapon. (Oh yeah and this kept me playing for 5 hours; bloody well done!)

The weapons were allright, though the pistol should have a more profitable upgrade like, increased damage or accuracy as, faster auto fire is not an advantage if you just keep clicking fast anyways. Also the gun that replaces the rocketlauncher felt a bit weak even when fully upgraded.
[/quickreplyat2am]
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I wondered what level/abilities someone could achieve through a complete game, so thanks for that. Did the progress seem too slow, or was it just right? Would you prefer to gain more levels in total? As far as the weapons go, I guess they'll just have to be tweaked at some point.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

I'm now on level 6 of Doom 2. So far I enjoy it greatly. Baring my inability to realize that AltHud exists for some reason. :)
Very entertaining. Also nice that the max health is much higher. This makes soulspheres even more nice.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

The levelling was alright: it wasn't super fast or super slow. Killing every monster feels as a minor achievement and I didn't want to skip any. :)
I would like it if there were a few additional points to spend, though. I played through doom 2 on UV but I didn't get near to the absolute maximum health (I didnt spend points into that, I just kept looking for those sinister looking bottles :P) I didn't increase my speed at all, I put all my points into willpower and upgraded the two "double" options for the arachnotron weapon. I might have had some points left which I didn't decide what to spend on. I upgraded all my human weapon skills to max by simply using them.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, why hasn't this seen more attention yet? This is a pretty rad mod. :)

I've played through Doom 2 all the way myself and had a blast -- it takes a while to get things leveled up enough to effectively use the demon weaps, but they're great fun when it's done.

One quick bit of questioning: does the double-arachno-fist upgrade enhance the gun in any way? Doesn't seem to change much of anything at all, unfortunately. That one's my favorite, at any rate, regardless of how fast it eats up ammo. :P

I'll probably be messing with this one more in the future.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Xaser wrote:Well, why hasn't this seen more attention yet? This is a pretty rad mod. :)

I've played through Doom 2 all the way myself and had a blast -- it takes a while to get things leveled up enough to effectively use the demon weaps, but they're great fun when it's done.

One quick bit of questioning: does the double-arachno-fist upgrade enhance the gun in any way? Doesn't seem to change much of anything at all, unfortunately. That one's my favorite, at any rate, regardless of how fast it eats up ammo. :P

I'll probably be messing with this one more in the future.
Man, now you're gonna get me going on a guilt trip because I don't play much Psychic. =( (tbh, I have a bit more fun with Inheritance anyway, but preference is preference, eh?)

I think the double-shot uses less ammo than the double-fist (it takes the regular 2 compared to the 2 per,) but if you want to fire 4 shots then double-fist second is the way to go. =) That's pretty much the main benefit. Might have to fix that. <_<>_>

Off the talking to Xaser, I dropped this mod for a whole week and haven't done anything to it. Whoo! Well, if I have my tiny writing project thingy done soon, I'll definitely pick it up again, but... until next time!!! sry bp & naniyue don keel me :( :( :(
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Thanks for the compliments! :D Zhs2 put forth TONS of original code, as well as cleaned up my right-brained decorate messes. I've spent too many hours on the demon attacks, and the art STILL needs fixing!

Looks like Zhs2 beat me to the post, but here's what I originally composed before seeing his latest:
"I just finished testing the Arachnobeam again. The double fist alternates the position of the blasts, and at max upgrade actually expends Spirit at a slower rate than if you bought all the options except the double fist. I guess we'll just have to see what can be done."

The bonus received by getting all four Arachnobeam upgrades is a bunch of points for each of your human weapons, making it easier to maximize them. After all, those extra brains had to be good for something! :wink:

Also, it looks like the leveling scheme is staying untouched, although I wonder if the chances for XP potions could be raised without unbalancing things.

EDIT: Zhs2, you deserve a few more days break! :P
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

This mod is good, but i have some problems.
First, when i'm using the caco hand, and i have high "demonic alignement", i can't switch weapons anymore. Is the"Alignement" causing this?
Second, (not really a problem) when you have max "demonic alignement" (666) you just lose around 35~50 health.
I thought that you'll burst in flames, turn in a demon or just die.
Anyway, very good mod. makes doom more dark~ish. :twisted:
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

ZDG wrote:Second, (not really a problem) when you have max "demonic alignement" (666) you just lose around 35~50 health.
I thought that you'll burst in flames, turn in a demon or just die.
I believe that behaviour is intended. Though bursting in flames seems like a nice idea. Maybe it could even hurt enemies that are nearby :P

just simply dieing would be too penalizing, as reaching 666 tends to happen unintended most of the time.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

The real problem here is that the 35-50 damage doesn't pierce armor, which is kind of a drag. I COULD use the drowning damage type, but then the obituary comes with it... x.x
ZDG wrote:First, when i'm using the caco hand, and i have high "demonic alignement", i can't switch weapons anymore. Is the"Alignement" causing this?
First I've heard of the problem, since it works fine for me. Any specific steps to reproducing it?

Also, I'm getting around to fixing offsets and things for 2.4.0. I just thought the new revision would come later... wah!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Zhs2 wrote:The real problem here is that the 35-50 damage doesn't pierce armor, which is kind of a drag. I COULD use the drowning damage type, but then the obituary comes with it... x.x
Spawn another actor, use A_Explode in it, give it DamageType "Fire" and +PIERCEARMOR. That should work.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

First, thanks ZDG for enjoying the mod!
Secondly, this is the first I've heard about the caco arm causing trouble. Can you reproduce the error? Has anyone else had a similar issue?
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

Well, i tried by using GIVE ALL command in console, using multiple times a powerful demon weapon (cubi arms, pain elemental) and when i'm around 620+ alignement, i switch to caco hand an shoot until my alignement is around 650+.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

NeuralStunner wrote:Spawn another actor, use A_Explode in it, give it DamageType "Fire" and +PIERCEARMOR. That should work.
Indubitable problems with this method:

1. The damage done is actually variable based upon the player's current and max health.
2. There is no easy way to calculate this damage and pass the value to the projectile without using a global variable or a TID on the player - The former ugly, and the latter I've been trying to avoid anyway.

Tinkered with that suggestion for about 4 hours yesterday with no success, mind you (as well as fixing all of the offsets for 2.4.0...)
ZDG wrote:Well, i tried by using GIVE ALL command in console, using multiple times a powerful demon weapon (cubi arms, pain elemental) and when i'm around 620+ alignement, i switch to caco hand an shoot until my alignement is around 650+.
First off, the demonicness meter doesn't have anything to do with alignment or such. It just tells you how close you are to taking damage for using too many demon attacks. :P
Second off, there was a bug with the Cacodemon attack's Deselect state. Fixed for next release :(
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Zhs2 wrote:1. The damage done is actually variable based upon the player's current and max health.
2. There is no easy way to calculate this damage and pass the value to the projectile without using a global variable or a TID on the player - The former ugly, and the latter I've been trying to avoid anyway.
[wiki]ACS_ExecuteAlways[/wiki]: I believe you can use this from Decorate, and the Player who calls it is the activator. (No TID required.) Then you could tinker with [wiki]GetActorProperty[/wiki], [wiki]SetActorProperty[/wiki], and [wiki]SpawnProjectile[/wiki], see what you can do.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”