Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hfc2x

Re: Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE

Post by hfc2x »

heavyshell3k wrote:You sleepy? :lol:
Not the smartest way to respond to a moderator...
Try not to go off topic, dude.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I can't remember if I showed this in any of the videos, but I'm not using rails for the Thunder Bolt. I decided to go instead with rapidly-firing projectiles (they appear almost continuous) that do the right amount of damage and drain the right amount of ammunition as they go. It looks more or less like a straight line. Got inspired by CaptainToenail's Plasma Beam weapon on Realm667.

The Shambler still relies on rails, so I'll mess around and see if I can transfer that attack to him.

heavyshell3k wrote:You sleepy? :lol:
Oh, dear...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Hopefully, Xaser's rail patch will be accepted soon. Then you can use rails in an awesome way!

Go ahead and give the thread some support. ;)
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

@ Blade;
Those screenshots on the first page of this thread look very promising! :)
Apart from the Class/Weapon/Enemy progress you are showing in the opening post; how is the map progress coming along?

On a sidenote;
I recently played Project: Slipgate and the atmosphere proves to work quite well with Doom's fast paced action. :)
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

Damnit just let this die already >-<
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

hugoroy wrote:Damnit just let this die already >-<
What? The topic's re-railed itself. Until now.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

From what I've seen so far, I think not using models is a missed oppertunity. But then again, models are a hassle to do right in the Doom engine.

In terms of level-design, it looks very true to the original Quake (hence why I think the sprites create such a visual disconnect).
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think using sprites makes it less of a "Why bother? Play Quake." scenario. You end up with something a little different that makes it a worthwhile experience.

There's also the issue that (I believe) this is intended for software mode too, so models would be impossible.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

NeuralStunner wrote:I think using sprites makes it less of a "Why bother? Play Quake." scenario. You end up with something a little different that makes it a worthwhile experience.
It depends on how you feel about raw model rips with no editing converted directly to the Doom palette
There's also the issue that (I believe) this is intended for software mode too, so models would be impossible.
The first post claims that this is a GZDoom project, so if it's intended for software, why use GZDoom? If it's for GL, why not use models or at least self-paletted rips so they don't suffer translation issues to the Doom palette

Either way, the way I see it, if you're going to rip literally everything else from the original game, you might as well steal the models too. You can use the model rips for software mode and use the original models for GL at the price of more filesize
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

This is indeed a GZDoom project and requires GL to play. You can't have 3D floors otherwise and, as I was told way back when this started, those are a must.
As for why I'm sticking with sprites, see NeuralStunner's post. This may be intended for GL, but it's still Doom. You're playing it on a Doom source port instead of Quake itself, so I'd like to keep what's left of the original game.

The project is still alive for those wondering. Life's just busy and when it comes to modding, I usually alternate between this and my other GZDoom project (U-AVP). The latter's been more on my mind these days, but I'll get back to Z-QUAKE after more progress is done there.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I'm guessing you mean 3D slopes, as ZDoom supports level 3D floors currently.

I seem to remember an old demo video in ZDoom, might be misremembering though.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

NeuralStunner wrote:I'm guessing you mean 3D slopes, as ZDoom supports level 3D floors currently.

I seem to remember an old demo video in ZDoom, might be misremembering though.
Oh, yeah... I'd forgotten about that new ZDoom update. I went ahead and gave my projects a run through it and I still really prefer the GL shading. I think I've grown accustomed to it after not messing around with ZDoom for some time. That and GL is a much better (and more visible) choice for darker maps.

I'm not sure if I ever uploaded a video of the project running in ZDoom... it might've been the monster showcase clips, but once I started showing maps, everything was in GL.

EDIT: I just thought of another reason for using GL on this -- no color restrictions. Back when this was a software project, I ripped the two sky texture layers from Quake (the bright blue daylight ones) and they weren't compatible with Doom's palette. I had to convert the sky to greyscale just to get it to look decent (this is in some of my screenshots, I think), but with GL, that's no longer necessary.
Last edited by Blade3327 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

NeuralStunner wrote:I think using sprites makes it less of a "Why bother? Play Quake." scenario. You end up with something a little different that makes it a worthwhile experience.

Then you shouldn't do a project like this in the first place, if you don't want to spawn reactions like that.

I think its kind of silly how alot of Doom modders nowadays feel like its their duty to maintain as much Doom in their mods as possible. I honestly couldn't care less if this has nothing to do with Doom anymore. I already played the crap out of all the Doom-episode WAD's, so give me something new already.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

And trying to 1:1 emulate Quake is "something new"? You can find all kinds of new Quake maps... for Quake.

Trying to exactly clone a game in an engine incapable of doing so is inherently misguided. Using sprites in what is foremost a sprite-based engine is hardly "too much Doom". So the original game used models, fine. It also used an engine specifically built around use of models. If you want as little Doom in it as possible, play the original. (Except that's notably Doom-like still.)

Using sprites already takes this out of the realm of "mass-rip TC", which is something different for a change.
Uboa

Post by Uboa »

How is progress on this coming along? I'd love to see this finished.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”