[Not a bug] Maybe something to do with grafs hitscan bug?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Lexus Alyus

Maybe something to do with grafs hitscan bug?

Post by Lexus Alyus »

On the subject of hitscan weapons I'm sure the behavour has been changed. Now I'm not saying that I want aoriginal doom support and this will probably mean nothing once this weapon code is done, but at present it makes dehacked a little limited...

Basically, in Doom, when you changed the bullet puff to, say, a rocket explosuion you would get super cool explosive shells and stuff... of course it worked both ways (making the spidermastermind a true nightmere :-D) but it was cool... now, I try that with Zdoom and the explosion happens on a wall, but just reverts to normal bullet behavour on a monster... this is not right... but I'm no tsure weather it needs seeing to as this new wqeapon code will obsolete this problem... just thought I'd bring it up is all...

On a side note,I wanted to create a sword that replaced the fist... basically the bullet puff would be replaced with the BFG splash, so when you hit something anything in the vacinity of your sight would get pummeled too :-D, but it didn't work cus the puff code is different...

Okay, I just thought I'd mention this...

:twisted:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Are you sure this used to work in Doom2.exe? If you change the bullet puff to be explosive it will explode - if it is generated. However, enemies are usually set to bleed, rather than produce puffs. If you hit one with a hitscan weapon, it will not produce puffs and so you will not get your explosions.

Solution: Make the blood splats explosive too (makes getting hit even more dangerous) or make all enemies have the puffs vs bleeds bit set.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

When .64 comes out, you can define your own bullet puffs and blood splats to be used with a particular weapon. Then, you could create one which uses the explosion for both of them, and get ready for some fun!!!
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I'll just double check this...

...testing...

On seccond thoughts, I'll double check... but not yet cus I have to restart and load up Win98...

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xaser wrote:When .64 comes out, you can define your own bullet puffs and blood splats to be used with a particular weapon. Then, you could create one which uses the explosion for both of them, and get ready for some fun!!!
Not blood splats. That code was a little too messy for a quick change. The blood splats are hard coded in the engine.

But you can define puffs that puff on both walls and actors.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, that's what I meant. :P

Also, By default, isn't the puff for hitting actors set to the blood splat?
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

I think the blood splats Graf Zahl meant were the Heretic and Hexen ones that are spawned as projectiles when actors are hit with projectiles, right?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xaser wrote:Well, that's what I meant. :P

Also, By default, isn't the puff for hitting actors set to the blood splat?

No, the blood splat is something different even though it's used in the same code. If you have a puff on actors you'll have both. The blood will also be spawned.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Cool!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

http://www.zcutty.cjb.net Check the misc section
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh. Boom DOom is 1337. :P
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Ahhhhh.... si i can do thewexplosive shell thing if I also change the blood splat? That's a bit strange though because everytime you hit a monster with a non-hitscan weapopn thenit still explodes... there has to be some form of work around for this...

Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, you can define a puff for hitting walls and a puff for hitting actors. Set both of them to an explosion for it to work.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Where is the puff for hitting actors? Can you do this with the BFG code pointer? Basically it would have that splash damage thing that the BFG does... so annoyingly... I think it would be cool for something like "The Death Reaper" (TM) Sword or something... if you hit something it's evil touch rips the souls from nearby monsters in your sight... I think that's cool!

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wait for 2.0.64! Now you can't change it.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”