colored water

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Umm, I thought water was clear, not colored... unless someone accidently poured 5 gallons of blue food coloring into it...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Maybe, since DOOM seems to take place in the far future (mars colonies, gateways, etc.), maybe all the water in the universe got exposed to some sort of gamma rays that mutated the water into a strange blue substance that, strangely enough, tastes like Kool-aid. Oh, well. Just a thought.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

You never know, maybe there was some kind of global Kool-aid incident that dumped thousands of pounds of the tropical Kool-aid mixture into the water and turned it blue. That's probably why it tastes like kool-aid, cause it is!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Destroyer wrote:You never know, maybe there was some kind of global Kool-aid incident that dumped thousands of pounds of the tropical Kool-aid mixture into the water and turned it blue. That's probably why it tastes like kool-aid, cause it is!

Well, that makes sense!
Biff

Post by Biff »

Evil Mittens wrote:I don't know about the lava, as I really haven't played many source-edit wads, but the blue-underwater effect always looks really, really stupid. It seems more like diluted blue paint or some unknown flavor of Kool-Aid than water.
That's one of my complaints about most colored water effects I've seen, that they are way, way overdone. Some wads use sector_setcolor and make it solid blue, probably as Duck's post shows. The effect can be made to look realistic and the key is to use a "light" touch. Add just a little fogginess. Add just a slight hint of color, or leave that out. It doesn't have to be only blue added, maybe a very faint blue + green would look good. A drop of red added might make the water look dirty.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Zell wrote:Well, technially, that is the color of pure water, so..lol u ar swimmin in pure water =p
The natural color of water is clear. When you turn on your faucet, do you get blue water? No, it's clear. When you fill up a cup full of water, it remains clear. The bluish effect seen when looking at a lake etc is the reflection of the sky. Water inside a cave would not look blue at all, unless ... you know... it was a blue cave .....

On the other hand the texture Doom uses for water is blue, so it would be kinda silly to have it be blue on the surface and yet not underneath. :?
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

*cough*toilet-additives*cough*

Return to “Editing (Archive)”