[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
chopkinsca

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Trailer?

Post by chopkinsca »

For testing purposes I made a new actor that gave a lot of BM.

Even though I've played it, I still can't wait to see what will happen tomorrow.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Why does tomorrow have to be a monday. :(
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm in the process right now of wrapping things up and crediting all the resources used. I'm hoping I won't miss anyone, but at least it's still a beta so I can update+credit anyone I missed the first time around.

And as for it being a monday, just blame June for being weird and starting on one. 'Twas the best date I could think of and today was the earliest possible chance to wrap up the beta and not have to shirk other duties. ;)

PSYDAY COMING SOON
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Thoughts on the guns:
-Pistols are effectively the chaingun sniper weapons of the mod assuming you can mash buttons really fast. That said, I never could see the point of upgrading them to past level 2 when 3 does the same damage with just a minor improvement in accuracy.
-Shotguns appear to be designed to create distance moreso than to kill large demons. However the large knockback it has might be an advantage to many of the psychic weaponry (since fire and altfire do not have separate knockback values!). I need to double check this.
-Grenade launcher feels like the easiest way to accumulate blood money. Why? Most weak monsters give double money when gibbed. I think it's worth it to use when health is abundant and that is often where weak monsters are abundant as well!

Other thoughts:
-You get pickups. From the BARRELS. o_o holy crap.

Edit: Yes, the shotguns cause FOUR TIMES the knockback of other weapons, making your psychic powers that much more effective. Try this with gravity for example and watch em fly!
Last edited by DoomRater on Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

For the record, the pistol actually does have another damage increase at 3. Look veeery closely.

Thanks for posting the latest thoughts + correspondence. This is all too interesting. ;)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Pfffft it's the INITIAL upgrade that doesn't have a damage increase! D'oh
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Close, but still no cigar... ;)

Lvl.1 - 4d, 4d
Lvl.2 - 4d, 5d
Lvl.3 - 5d, 5d

For the record, it used to not increase any damage at all until 2->3 , but I changed it when I realized how comparatively useless the 2nd upgrade was. That and the shotgun used to not have any damage boost at all -- just accuracy, which was a bit silly now that I think of it.

Also, I've taken the liberty of increasing the Needlegun range a bit, decreasing the upgrade price for it, and making the Nightmare able to hold shots while fully charged, a la Metroid. Hopefully that'll help things being less of a shotgun/handgun fest. ;)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Xaser wrote:Also, I've taken the liberty of increasing the Needlegun range a bit, decreasing the upgrade price for it, and making the Nightmare able to hold shots while fully charged, a la Metroid. Hopefully that'll help things being less of a shotgun/handgun fest. ;)
Ahh, that oughtta help out the novice Psychic player loads. :D
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

It's Monday now, where's my Psychic?

:P

But seriously, I can't wait 'til this morning. Or afternoon. Whichever.
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

I'm waiting to try this little gem out.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

XutaWoo wrote:But seriously, I can't wait 'til this morning. Or afternoon. Whichever.
Be patient, and remember Xaser still uses dial-up. Trust me, the wait will make it worth it, especially since it's updated over the internal beta build, so it will be new for everybody. :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

In all fairness, I never said when today. ;)

There is one planned feature that for sure won't make it in just yet, but for good reason. Looks like it's possible to show the player's air supply in SBARINFO now, and the Psy's HUD has graphics and half-finished code for doing so anyway. I'm not implementing it right now, though, because it would require everyone to update to a super-recent SVN, which not everybody does.

Come to think of it, I may make a seperate patch wad for anyone interested who uses the SVN, though. Later, though. Right now I've got an upload to tend to.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Right now I've got an upload to tend to.
God speed. :mrgreen: Or.. Doomguyspeed.

He's faster.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Xaser wrote: Looks like it's possible to show the player's air supply in SBARINFO now, and the Psy's HUD has graphics and half-finished code for doing so anyway. I'm not implementing it right now, though, because it would require everyone to update to a super-recent SVN, which not everybody does.
They finally put that in ZDoom? Cool.

Oh man, I can't wait! I wanna play this mod already! :3:
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

A Turok hud is possible! Yay!

I'm sure a few more revisions will come about and then a true SVN update will be required on my end. But if you add the patch, I'd update!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”