[Fixed] Deaths

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
LilWhiteMouse

Deaths

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Have there been any modifications to how deaths are handled? I don't remember vanilla Doom(2) monsters having a temporary death height. Example, give yourself the chainsaw and summon a demon. Kill it while moving into it. For just a second, you'll step up on the corpse about 16 units, then drop back down (when A_NoBlocking takes effect?).

The problem I had is that this step-up pushed me into another actor, and I had to noclip to get free. Specifically, the northern ladder in Hellspawn that leads to a pair of demons. I killed one of the demons with a chainsaw, and I got pushed up into one of the ladder bars.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The death code reduces the height of any dying object to 1/4 or its original height. That as been the case since the first Doom version. In Doom it didn't matter because for the collision code the actors were infinitely tall. As we all know this has been changed in ZDoom so the step up is something to be expected.

As for being stuck: I can't explain this. But then, Doom's collision code is a mystey in itself... :(
Risen

Post by Risen »

I'm pretty sure Doom dropped the height of a monster to 1/4 when it died. The thing with Doom is 100% or 25%.... it's all infinitely tall, so you would have never noticed.
Last edited by Risen on Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Graf Zahl wrote:That as been the case since the first Doom version.
Heh, and I just started to notice this. I'm a real sharp one.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Of course, it would have been harder to spot in Doom.exe The monster, being infinitely tall, even when reduced to 1/4 of its original height, would block player movement until the noblocking pointer took effect. From then on, you would be able to walk right through the monster. So you would never have a time when it was possible to step on a monster and thereby notice how this was being handled.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

So then what you guys are trying to say is that the actors were infinitely tall? I'm not sure I heard that right, could you say it one more time? ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

My excuse was I was still writing when Graf posted. I don't know about hours later...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

This behavior is normal. When you kill a monster, it's height is automatically reduced to 1/4 until the NOBLOCKING code pointer is reached. However, in vanilla doom, all the actors were infinitely tall, so You couldn't ever step on top of the monster. I wonder why ID even made it do that in the first place.

(Sorry. I just had to say it. Hey HotWax, do you understand NOW?)
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

Hey guys I heard somewhere that when you kill a monster its height is reduced to 1/4 but you wouldn't notice this in doom2.exe because every thing is infinitley tall, can someone confirm this?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hasn't this been confirmed twice in this thread?

Anyway: Yes!
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Hi. I was wondering when monsters die does their height change? I couldn't tell in Doom because actors were infinitely tall (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks in advance!
auxois

Post by auxois »

Hmm. It seems like sometimes I step on dead monsters in Zdoom. I never did this in the original version. It must be an error in Zdoom!
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Stepping on dead monsters? How can you do that if they're infinitely tall?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

auxois wrote:Hmm. It seems like sometimes I step on dead monsters in Zdoom. I never did this in the original version. It must be an error in Zdoom!

Good morning!

Have we read all the posts or is this just a lame joke?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ultraviolet wrote:Stepping on dead monsters? How can you do that if they're infinitely tall?

Not at all. In ZDoom monsters are not infinitely tall (unless compatibility optioned)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”