[RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: [RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition

Post by Nash »

So far so good - but as in the original CAH released years ago, I still can't hear what the pilots are saying in the intro.

You ought to play the sound locally into the player instead of generating the sound from a 3-d source. And you should reduce the engine noise a bit so the dialogue is more audible. If you listen carefully in carefully mixed commercial games (or even movies), voices will always be louder than whatever background noises...

Also there's no subtitle in the intro even when I turned on subtitles. :P

Lastly, do you plan to make a patch that increases the density of the weather effects? This may sound crazy to some people, but CAH runs at a full 60 FPS throughout as it's pretty beefed up rig (Intel Q9550 2.8 GHz overclocked to 4.0 GHz, and two ATI 4870 X2's CrossFired which basically means I am running 4 GPUs :P) and I'd like to see your beautiful effects in a larger density... :P

EDIT: I run CAH at 1920 x 1200 and have to turn on text scaling because without this, the text would be too small to read. However most of the strings in game are not aligned correctly so I have to resort to double. Just letting you know. Also, since my resolution is a widescreen format, some cutscene pics are cut off at the sides...
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

New version up with auto reloading, slightly better double shotgun, faster reloading, and slightly lower probability of bleeding at lower difficulties. Except the shotgun, since it doesn't really lend itself to auto reloading the way it's set up. There are a few minor bugs I think (like the one-sided line thing), but this will be the official release for the time being.

@Nash: You're not really supposed to, since they're just chatting about the landing and trying to call the ground tower. :)

Also, ACS source is all included already. In the acs_source folder. Seriously. :wink:
guitar man

Post by guitar man »

Fantastic!
This is definitely my favorite Doom modification ever.
It's an honor to have been involved! :D

What are your plans for your next project?
If you again need music/voices, I'd love to help out.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

One small error:

Weather.acs in this new version is really a slightly different version of cahmain.acs but not what it's supposed to be.
MetalPapat

Post by MetalPapat »

Can't play it , it's a quest for download. I try again and again and.... again. :? Maybe later for this.
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

Hmm, didn't see that. I've attached the weatherFX code if anyone wants it. It's basically the same as my old version but cleaned up and multiplayer compatible.

@MetalPapat: The download in the first post should work now. The newest version is sitting in /incoming on idgames waiting to replace the old version.
Attachments
weatherFX2 source.zip
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

I have noticed that there is a sign outside a wrecked building in the Weapons R+D area that says something about authorized personnel only. Only problem is, personnel is spelt wrong.

I have to agree with Nash about the voices inside the plane at the beginning, couldn't hear them at all.
Spoiler:
Otherwise, this mod is fantastic! I only wish it was coop-compatible. Nonetheless, I played for 3 hours today without taking my eyes off the screen, a sign that I was totally absorbed in the game. Very good mod.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you look out of the window of the 'plane in the intro level at a certain angle, you can see a sign flickering in the sky.

This was with the new version, just downloaded a few minutes ago.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I also noticed a few typos here and there but I didn't take note of them somewhere so I could report them. :/ Bugger, maybe I'll do that when I play again from the beginning (I want to, anyway - I need to drop the game down to an easier difficulty... apparently I can't manage the amount of monsters and the shots required to kill them in skill 4)...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just having a quick "with cheats" run through of the first map.

Were there always giant hell knights on the horizon in the first map?
I don't remember them.

Also, the exit tunnel signs are too high:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

This looks very cool. Once these last few little bugs get worked out I'll definitely be trying it =)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't remember the giant hell knights in the old version years ago, but on my first playthrough yesterday (that is, his very first upload of the SE version before Jonny reuploaded today), I did notice them appearing when the map started to get overrun (after the toilet scene).

I thought it was really scary to see gigantic demons in the horizon and therefore intentional...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It does kind of look cool, and almost intentional. However, they just stand there on a single frame, not moving so I wasn't sure if it was intended.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Hmm yeah I've encountered dead fatties and knights in the sky too.

I'm just wondering, I've been playing this thing for about 2 hours, when does it end! :shock:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:I don't remember the giant hell knights in the old version years ago, but on my first playthrough yesterday (that is, his very first upload of the SE version before Jonny reuploaded today), I did notice them appearing when the map started to get overrun (after the toilet scene)..

This sounds like the same tid was used twice.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”