Extracting OTHER hexen weapon

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Zell

Extracting OTHER hexen weapon

Post by Zell »

well, i just got hexen today, and i found a really kick ass sword. I want to put into to doom, but - i dunno which data lumps or anything i need to extract or stuff like that. any help[ is appreciated.

zell
Biff

Post by Biff »

I haven't personally done anything with a Hexen sword, but it probably can be used in doom just like Heretic weapons. You need to put the sword graphics (sprites) into your wad. Then, when you find out the spawn name of the sword, you can type "summon (sword name)" in the zdoom console and hit enter. The sword should appear in front of you and you can pick it up.

You may not be able to reselect that weapon once you switch away from it, until you add it to a weapon slot. I'm not entirely sure that a next weapon / previous weapon control can't get back to it.

There may also be some sounds associated with the Hexen sword. You'll probably want those in your wad as well and you'll have to identify them in a sndinfo lump in your wad.

There are several ways to have the sword appear in a doom game without the summon console command. You can spawn it at a map spot using the spawnspot script command. You could also make a decorate item out of the sword and give it a script special to give the player a sword weapon with a GiveInventory script.
Zell

Post by Zell »

lol will it shoot its projectiles? dont i need some sort of lump for the projectiles?
Biff

Post by Biff »

I was just looking into Hexen.wad, to find the sword you talk about. I found something more like an axe, the sprite names start with FAXE, is that the one?

There are some sprites of that name which look like blood splats or blue spark projectiles, also a few of the axe frames show a blue rim around the weapon, maybe that's for a powerup effect? I don't think you'll need anything extra for the projectiles if you get all of the axe sprites.

About the sounds, I looked through the sndinfo lump in zdoom.wad but I can't see any particular sound assigned to an axe there. There are weapons sounds assigned for Heretic, in the Heretic section of the sndinfo, so I don't know enough about Hexen yet to give complete answers.

It looks like the spawn name of the axe may be FWeapAxe. I found that by starting zdoom, selecting hexen.wad, going to the console, type logfile somename.txt, then type dumpclasses actor. Exit zdoom, read the file. :)
Zell

Post by Zell »

no, its a green glowing sword. it shoots out green clouds or somthing like that
Biff

Post by Biff »

That may be the CHLYxx sprites, or the CSSFxx sprites...you'd better open Hexen.wad with some editor and identify your weapon by sight, then you'd have the sprites identified and you can copy and paste 'em right into your wad.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Biff wrote:That may be the CHLYxx sprites, or the CSSFxx sprites...you'd better open Hexen.wad with some editor and identify your weapon by sight, then you'd have the sprites identified and you can copy and paste 'em right into your wad.

This is more likely the fighter's Quietus and it requires the sprites named FSRDxx and FSFXxx. And don't forget the sounds. Unfortunately they are quite hard to look up. But I think the ones names FighterSword??? in the SNDINFO lump are enough.

One piece of advice: Without looking at the source to see what is needed it is quite hard to get all resources that are required for an item.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”