The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Johann Smidt

Re: ZDoom for Mac OS X

Post by Johann Smidt »

I think a lot of the reason the last attempt at making ZDoom work for OS X failed is because there was a lot of work being put into trying to make ZDoom work with PPC. I guess it would be nice, but I'd rather there be a fully functional Intel port than a semi-functional Universal port. You could probably compile it with the 10.4u SDK though. :P
k0da

Post by k0da »

I think a lot of the reason the last attempt at making ZDoom work for OS X failed is because there was a lot of work being put into trying to make ZDoom work with PPC.
What do you mean "last attempt"? Mine, Neil's, ...someone elses? Neil didn't have an Intel Mac when I emailed him last year, which was way after he'd lost interest in creating a complete port of ZDoom to Mac. Why WOULDN'T he concentrate on PPC when that's all he had? When I was trying to improve on Neil's work I didn't really give a damn about PPC - all I wanted was working sound and look up/down. Sound I got working to some degree, but crashed on some WADs. The look up/down is what got me stumped and made me loose interest. Personally, I would be VERY motivated to clean up my CMake changes and finish my IWAD selector if the look/up and down issue gets resolved.

BTW, when I emailed Neil last year he told me ACS might not work 100% on big endian processors.
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

I'm not terribly in touch with the zcommunity, I meant Neils attempt. Obviously him having a PPC Mac was a good reason for him to want it to work on a PPC processor, but that doesn't mean that trying to make it work on PPC was one of the reasons it had as many problems as it did.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

I've fixed the look down bug. The cause was in the initialization of the finetangent table, which is used for vertical looking. Basically, the first half of the table was set to 0 due to a typecast mixup (unsigned vs. signed ints). I also noticed the same problem with finesine, and resolved that as well. If you know what the graphs for sine and tangent functions look like, then you'll see the problem. It's strange that this bug only occurred in OS X, yet was fine in Windows and Linux. Seriously though, I love having mouselook back.

I'm still trying to figure out the missing MUS/MIDI instruments bug. I think it has something to do with Mac OS X's DLS instrument bank, because I tried GM.DLS from Windows and the missing instruments came back. However, I think a working launcher is the highest priority.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Speaking of which, here's the latest build with a nice launcher:

zdoomac_0.3a.dmg (3.6 MB)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

sniperchance wrote:If you know what the graphs for sine and tangent functions look like, then you'll see the problem. It's strange that this bug only occurred in OS X, yet was fine in Windows and Linux.
Is it something that should be reported as a bug?
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Yeah, I already reported it and it got fixed.
Skunk

Re: The unofficial "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by Skunk »

Dude, I tried to test this at school...

...these computers won't run it. :(
I need something to do between classes damnit.

And these are Intels running Leopard. So I dunno wtf.

EDIT: This is from the system info:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.1
Is this not Leopard? I was told these were Leopards. I KNOW they're Intels.
Last edited by Skunk on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Yeah, 10.5 is Leopard, and 10.4 is Tiger. Sucks that you're one version away from Leopard.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I just tested out out the latest version of this with KDiZD on my MacBook Pro, and had no problems at all. Everything seemed to be working exactly like in the Windows version :)
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

PISS.
Thanks for the update on that.
Is there a version of ZDoom OSX that runs in Tiger? I'd really appreciate that.
I'm trying to find a time killer at college for times like this when I'm sitting around doing jack squat waiting for classes.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

I'm gonna try and figure out how to compile a program on 10.5 with 10.4 support. It kept failing for me due to some "missing header" with the 10.4 SDK, but there should be a way to fix that.

EDIT: Sweet, I got it to compile against the 10.4 SDK. And I didn't even have to change the gcc version.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

So now a later build will run in 10.4?
Damn straight.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

As a matter of fact, this one should. I hope.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I'll let you know. I got a long 2+ hours between classes today, I'll need something to do.

Return to “Tutorials”