Technophobia Overdose. /idgames upload done.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phobus

Re: [WIP] Technophobia Overdose. Completed. Betatesting phase.

Post by Phobus »

So will you be making an ending map like you suggested not so long ago? I felt it could do with something a bit grander as a finale :)
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

No, i will not. I'll just extend that area with a landing platform. :)
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Finally tested it.
9.4/10 rating from me! ( :o )

===Issues===

- The mancubus that appears after the rocket launcher has been collected wasn't even slightly amusing. Lucky I saved just before entering that general area.

- The text on how you obtain info from a PDA seems to take forever to fade, I'd suggest making it last for the same amount of time, but make it fade quicker at the end instead.

- As mentioned by Phobos, the ending is... well. boring.
You trek around this HUGE, somewhat awesome map, and at ends by walking through a measly corridor?
FINAL BATTLE PLEASE OMG :wink:

- I found it confusing at some sections, as I had no idea whereabouts in the map some things were. e.g. going underwater (this impressed me, that area, but there were no hints to go down there.) and later on, I forgot where the blue key door was, I had to navigate a lot with my computer map. And finally, where the hell is this "reactor" I now had access to? maybe give the player some form of 'flashback' with the camera functions, or something? :) I found it in the end, obviously, but it took me about 4-5 minutes... XD

- Wtf happened to the sky? I ran this in Skulltag, could that be the issue? (I did run in OpenGL rendering, so the use of 3D elements (that were sparse, but well positioned and perfectly executed.) was fine. I'm too lazy to test in in my copy of GZDoom. :p

===Suggestions===

- Auto-save linedef/thing function, Just 2 - 4 times in this map will do nicely. (Each key and when you enter the 5 digit code? :) )

- More shells at the star, maybe only 8 more..

-Make certain things more evident... e.g. the entrance to the underwater area, the location of reactor etc.

- Fix the sky, I'd suggest going for a beautiful 'normal' summer-time sort of skybox, if possible :)

===Things I liked===

- The never-ending series of tech-themes, and amazing constant details.

- Monster placement, some of it was.. challenging :)

- The size, it was large enough to occupy me for 38 minutes and 23 seconds, apparently. I didn't find it boring throughout the entire play-through, neither.

- Use of new monsters, gave me a new angle on strategy for a few rooms.

- Brilliant texture selection. I didn't notice any misalignment's throughout the entirety of the map (I admit I wasn't searching for them, however.)

If I've missed anything I meant to say, I'll hit you up in MSN messenger. :D

Get this polished up and released to idgames a.s.a.p. XD

Reviewed by Josh :o
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Josh wrote:
- The mancubus that appears after the rocket launcher has been collected wasn't even slightly amusing. Lucky I saved just before entering that general area.
That wasn't meant to be funny. :twisted:
- The text on how you obtain info from a PDA seems to take forever to fade, I'd suggest making it last for the same amount of time, but make it fade quicker at the end instead.
I somehow have to fix that.
- As mentioned by Phobos, the ending is... well. boring.
You trek around this HUGE, somewhat awesome map, and at ends by walking through a measly corridor?
FINAL BATTLE PLEASE OMG :wink:
Landing helicopter platform with a cyber should do the trick. ;)
- I found it confusing at some sections, as I had no idea whereabouts in the map some things were. e.g. going underwater (this impressed me, that area, but there were no hints to go down there.) and later on, I forgot where the blue key door was, I had to navigate a lot with my computer map. And finally, where the hell is this "reactor" I now had access to? maybe give the player some form of 'flashback' with the camera functions, or something? :) I found it in the end, obviously, but it took me about 4-5 minutes... XD
Warpzone inspired me to this. And it didn't have any cameras or flashbacks of some sort. :P
- Wtf happened to the sky? I ran this in Skulltag, could that be the issue? (I did run in OpenGL rendering, so the use of 3D elements (that were sparse, but well positioned and perfectly executed.) was fine. I'm too lazy to test in in my copy of GZDoom. :p
Use ZDoom, for God's Sake. :P
- Auto-save linedef/thing function, Just 2 - 4 times in this map will do nicely. (Each key and when you enter the 5 digit code? :) )
Maybe. :|
Just to be sure, save often. :P
- More shells at the star, maybe only 8 more..
Will do, sir. :)
-Make certain things more evident... e.g. the entrance to the underwater area, the location of reactor etc.
We'll see.
About the reactor = Wasn't it evident enough? O_o
- Fix the sky, I'd suggest going for a beautiful 'normal' summer-time sort of skybox, if possible :)
Use ZDoom, for God's Sake. :P
Thanks for the intensive review, Josh. I needed it. :D
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Suggestion for the reactor would be some sort of objective there other than the blue key, like blowing (setting a timed self-destruct that encourages the player to leg it to the blue key door seems like the best idea in my mind) or deactivating the reactor, or at least a bigger fight than what I tackled on UV. The landing platform with the cyberdemon is pretty much what the map needs as well, so good idea there. Look forwards to the update :P
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I'll go for the bigger fight. I'm too lazy to script an autodestruction sequence. :P

But for now, screenie:

OMG, HDR in ZDoom. :P
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Double post.

I've uploaded the map on /idgames. It should be up in a few days. :D
Dragonfly

Re: Technophobia Overdose. /idgames upload done.

Post by Dragonfly »

I see I inspired you with the holographical-techwall effect :wink:
Well, I'll test this battle when I can :D
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

When its up I'll be sure to check it out for you and get back to you with an opinion on the final creation :)
Lord_Z

Post by Lord_Z »

Phobus wrote:When its up I'll be sure to check it out for you and get back to you with an opinion on the final creation :)
Same :)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Is this done or not? :?
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Yeah, it's done. I'm waiting for it to be accepted in the archives. :)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I found it, it was pretty fun, ammo was tight at the start until I found a backpack, solid map, the 'fake HDR' actually made my eyes go out of focus during the final fight, I'm not joking :!:

Well done :)
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Thanks. :)

That means that the fake HDR makes the final battle more challenging. :twisted:
Tubers

Post by Tubers »

I must say excellent map Morpheus :)

Return to “Levels”