Linux progress

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

hmm, i followed the whole thread (i read the whole thread :p) and i think there are a few good posts in here...

X really isn't made for fast-paced games, that's why glx,sdl,opengl,... are here :)!

i personally like slackware 9.1 (don't like 10.0, dunno why)
i use fluxbox, and here's a screenie :) : http://users.telenet.be/PaulDW/desktops ... .06.04.png (12 K xD)

i replied here cause i am intrested in a linux 2.0 version and all i found was (i think this way) a little flame against linux :( (i used legacy for a long time, but now i use jdoom cause it has md2 support etc, but it has to be installed on a case-insensitve fs or it won't work decently (md2,high-res textures etc...)
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

hmm, i followed the whole thread (i read the whole thread ) and i think there are a few good posts in here...
You got more time then me
X really isn't made for fast-paced games, that's why glx,sdl,opengl,... are here !
It's mostly because X is a server, creating a lot more overhead, but impoving remote control, a double edged sword
personally like slackware 9.1 (don't like 10.0, dunno why)
I use Slackware 9.1 as well, only because I don't want to upgrade yet.
i use fluxbox, and here's a screenie : http://users.telenet.be/PaulDW/desktops ... .06.04.png (12 K xD)
I use KDE, and almost all the same software and versions (including Opera)
i replied here cause i am intrested in a linux 2.0 version and all i found was (i think this way) a little flame against linux (i used legacy for a long time, but now i use jdoom cause it has md2 support etc, but it has to be installed on a case-insensitve fs or it won't work decently (md2,high-res textures etc...)
I am actually interested in trying to work on the Linux version, if, it ever comes out.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

charris wrote:It's mostly because X is a server, creating a lot more overhead, but impoving remote control, a double edged sword
"So what?"
As long as you get 35 fps, it's all fine. And hell, I once ran it over remote X11 (uncompressed,unencrypted) somewhat fluidly in 320x200. Of course, requires a lot of a 100Base-TX Ethernet. (Should work with Gigabit tho)
JangoFett

Post by JangoFett »

I still don't understand who would us linux still.. :)
Demigod

Post by Demigod »

"forget about that last post :wink: "
[EDIT]:no reply.
Last edited by Demigod on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

... by replying to it.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Okay... thanks to that edit, it now makes absolutely no sense. :P
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

What was it before?

You usually add edit to the bottom of your posts:

[edit]Xaser's Uniclopse looks crappy.[/edit]

[edit2]Xaser's Uniclopse looks good[/edit2

Like that.
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

so how's it going now?
2.0.6x almost done? :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

That's for Randy to know and us to find out... when he finally releases it. :P

I mean seriously, the inventory code is done, i think, so how much left is there?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think that depends whether he is still playing too much NeoGeo... :twisted:
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Whats NeoGeo? A game where you use binoculars to spot breasts at a distance?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Agent ME wrote:Whats NeoGeo?
[b][color=blue]G[/color][color=red]o[/color][color=yellow]o[/color][color=blue]g[/color][color=green]l[/color][color=red]e[/color][/b] wrote:Neo-Geo is the name of a cartridge-based arcade and home video game system created by the Japanese game company SNK. The system was years ahead of its time, offering a huge colorful 2D graphics and high-quality sound. The arcade machines had a memory card system by which a player could save a game to return to at a later time, or remarkably, to be used to continue play on the SNK home console of the same name. (The arcade version of the hardware is often referred to as the "MVS" system to distinguish it from its console counterpart, the "AES.)

SNK continued to produce arcade systems (and limited console cartridge runs) using the exact same 1980s technology all the way through 2002, proving the longevity of its forward-thinking design, although critics consider this a negative issue. One downside of the system's staying power is that it has no effective copy protection; although this was not so much a problem when the system debuted in the early '90s, it is now an issue of very real concern to SNK, and there is speculation that they may soon finally abandon the MVS system and switch instead to standard JAMMA games (the MVS system is incompatible with JAMMA without the use of special adapters).

Several home console systems were created based on the same hardware as the arcade games, as well as two handheld systems under the name Neo Geo Pocket.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

And in case you're wondering about the avatar, those are two different costumes of Athena Asamiya from the King of Fighters series.
adx

Post by adx »

I think randy is playing the NeoGeo emulator for pc. It could be downloaded from the net including some roms, not sure if it is legal.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”