Can we have a demo control panel?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Can we have a demo control panel?

Post by Curunir »

What I mean is a panel with fast forward, reverse, pause, stop and play. If that's not immensely hard to code in, I think it'll be a sah-weet addition.
I often catch myself wanting to view this and that part of my demos or someone else's demos and if the run is 15 minutes long, I can't say it's too much fun to wait :roll:
Randy has the final say, as usual.

[Edit] I need to look at what I type to keep it coherent [/Edit]
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Someone link the demo topic...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Can we have a demo control panel?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Curunir wrote:What I mean is a panel with fast forward, reverse, pause, stop and play. If that's not immensely hard to code in, I think it'll be a sah-weet addition.
I often catch myself wanting to view this and that part of my demos or someone else's demos and if the run is 15 minutes long, I can't say it's too much fun to wait :roll:
Randy has the final say, as usual.

[Edit] I need to look at what I type to keep it coherent [/Edit]

Reverse is not possible with the current demo format - fast forward at least problematic so that leaves pause and play. Yeah, really useful indeed. Just for your info: All a demo records is player movement so there is no simple manipulation. There's not much you can do with that except letting it run.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Ah, I forgot that the demo is just a keypress string. :roll:
Oh, well, even pause would do :)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

We could always bug Randy until he implements real-time engine rewind ala PoP: Sands of Time. :D
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

If you bring the console down it stops the demo, which is annoying if you want to quicky change an option
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Or bring up the message history to see what the deushbag just said about your revenants attacking too early..
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I just send the demo to the revenants and let them deal with the matter.
Hirogen2
Operating System Version (Optional): Tumbleweed x64
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Can we have a demo control panel?

Post by Hirogen2 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Reverse is not possible with the current demo format - fast forward at least problematic so that leaves pause and play.
Well I bet a fast-forward will be "fast" in that it will do like 350 tics/second minimum, even on a slow PC. So you could implement a seek-back (not necessarily "reverse play") by restarting the demo from the beginning and fast-forwarding a bit.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Given Randy's lack of any interest whatsoever in demo support, I doubt he's likely to do this. :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Who cares? Any source port that's too concerned with demos is doomed to fail in the end...
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Yes, it would be much better if we implement 32 bit color, support for brush-based levels and in-game level editing like Cube. THEN our favourite source port will be teh win.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Curunir wrote:Yes, it would be much better if we implement 32 bit color, support for brush-based levels and in-game level editing like Cube. THEN our favourite source port will be teh win.

32 bit color would be great, performance problems nonwithstanding. Better than enhanced demo support anyway. I haven't watched or recorded a single demo since I play Doom and absolutely no interest in it - and even less interest in Randy wasting his time with something that inconsequential.
Mundungu

Post by Mundungu »

Sometimes I use doom demos as screen savers... I recorded a whole lot of them back in the DWANGO days, and kept the ones from the greatest battles. Throw them all in a wad, and let the game run.

But that's just me, and I really doubt anyone cares 8-)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

There's a program (based on ZDoom even) that actually lets you setup a Windows screensaver to launch Doom and play back a set demo. Heh.

Return to “General”