Phocas Island 2: Re-Phocased. Is it back?

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I release endurance mode as a seperate mod or save it for final release?

Yes! I'd love to play endurance mode when it's ready
47%
No, I'll wait until the final release.
53%

Total votes: 47

chopkinsca

Re: Phocas Island 2.5

Post by chopkinsca »

Cutmanmike wrote:Okay I'm done. I have to agree with Kristus with this one. I loved everything except the ending. It just seemed really... [censored word].
I don't know why, I'm usually a good story teller. I wanted to try something different different for an ending. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, maybe somebody can help me. Right now I have 4 different endings. bad, slightly bad, slightly good, and good.
Cutmanmike wrote: No more hexen/doom monsters. The decorate's are original I know, but the sprites we've seen thousands of times before. Even edits would have been better if you ask me (and there's plenty to choose from)
Well, the project actually started out as a Hexen project. I don't know, I like the Hexen sprites.
Cutmanmike wrote: Explanations for some of the things that are left. What's the purpose of the cabin? What's the key for at the end? What's the chessboard for?
The chessboard was just decoration. The key you get from Korax's room opens the cabin. I'll make that key's purpose a bit more clear when you pick it up.
Cutmanmike wrote: Replace the "log gun" with something more appropriate (We have a rifle in the mix so why a LOG GUN?!).
It was the only thing I could actually draw. Real weapons aren't really something I can draw.
Cutmanmike wrote: Use a custom HUD to make a hud that takes advantage of your current inventory system.
Not exactly sure how I'd do that. I'll look into it.
Cutmanmike wrote: It strikes me odd that you can carry FIRE with you and are still able to go in water and caves are still dark. There's a ton of puzzle possibilities if the FIRE goes out after a while, or when you go in water.
It's magic fire :P Early on I used dynamic lights to make a torch. I forget what happened with that.
Cutmanmike wrote: Make the "handle" visible in your inventory. I thought the game had glitched when I couldn't see it.
I'll do that.
Cutmanmike wrote: I found the cacodemon boss extremely tough compared to the others (the one who shoots blood and rain everywhere). I'd say calm him down a bit.
Hmm, I thought the wyvern was the most tough. I'll see what changes I can make.
Cutmanmike wrote: A cinematic ending. I was sad to see the camera + text thing for both endings. I would have liked to see "you" wake up in your hospital bed and greeted by the doctors or whatever.
I'm not good at cinematics. Something about using cameras and actors bothers me. I'll see what I can do.. maybe someone can help me.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Well the zdoom forums is full of talent so I'm pretty sure they'll help out if you ask ;)

I'll check the cabin out.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

If you need help with the story, I'd be perfectly willing to help. If you'd like, just pm me what you have planned up story-wise, and we can discuss it and see if we can get anything going.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Didn't see your first post of your double post :P.
Cutmanmike wrote:Okay here's a suggestion. Every now and again spawn a random enemy at a random location. I did a similar thing for my 28 days doom thing I was planning but that never got anywhere. Lemmie know if you wanna know how I did it.

When you start you can choose to have monster's spawn at random at certain mapspots. I can't imagine a way that spawns them anywhere without spawning some in the void.
Cutmanmike wrote:
Edit: I think I found a bug. I got one of those coin things from the crazy poison painelemental. I found the entrance to some castle thing and used the coin and it... vanished. I jumped off the cliff and noticed it was inserted in that 3 holed thing below. Am I supposed to be able to activate things that far away?
That's a bug. I use a "circle" of script activating lines to define where you can use artifacts (and which one). It's possible to walk over the corner of the circle barely activating the first line and skipping the line that tells you are too far away. Hopefully I've fixed all of these by making less pointy angles.
Cutmanmike wrote: Edit4: ALRIGHT I just fought the hardest damn boss ever and opened up the portal to korax. Beat him, and I get a lousy key. Where do I use that?! I haven't seen a keyhole that I needed a key for.
Now when you pick up the key, it says 'cabin key' instead of "a key..."

In what way can the lakecaco be tamed? I slightly lowered his chance of cloaking. Other than that, I don't know. Edit: I see now, every time it enters the painstate it cloaks. The weak version has a painchance of 120, hard version 175. (lowers both values).
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Wow, seems Cutty and I are completely different in our opinions. I thought the story was spot-on perfect (though a scene would have been nice ;P ), the mysteriousness of 'the key...' was just fine, the 'log gun' is nutty enough to work, and I actually like some of the 'unexplained' things -- leaves things open to speculation, which is a real treat to me in place of the usual "demons from hell" formula we've all but figured out.

The setting's not going to be changed, is it? I mean, the whole adventure *is* still going to be a 'dream' of sorts, right? It would be a shame to change it... no other explanation would fit so perfectly, I would say.
Captain Ventris

Xaser wrote:Wow, seems Cutty and I are completely different in our opinions. I thought the story was spot-on perfect (though a scene would have been nice ;P ), the mysteriousness of 'the key...' was just fine, the 'log gun' is nutty enough to work, and I actually like some of the 'unexplained' things -- leaves things open to speculation, which is a real treat to me in place of the usual "demons from hell" formula we've all but figured out.

The setting's not going to be changed, is it? I mean, the whole adventure *is* still going to be a 'dream' of sorts, right? It would be a shame to change it... no other explanation would fit so perfectly, I would say.
It'll be different in some details, but it'll keep the same idea. I liked it, too, though there were a couple holes.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I had no problem with it being a dream, just a problem with the WOW you managed to stop an invasion from another dimension at the same time!
Captain Ventris

Cutmanmike wrote:I had no problem with it being a dream, just a problem with the WOW you managed to stop an invasion from another dimension at the same time!
I hope you'll be a little happier with 2.5 ;D
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Weren't there only 4 of them?
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

No, there were always six.

Joking aside, I look forward to (re)playing this.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Firewolf wrote:No, there were always six.
In the Hexen version (earliest version) I had six, so it's kind of true. :P
Captain Ventris

SWEET, two more bosses!
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Hmm I would have classed the archvile as a boss, since it's quite tough (and has that cool barrier effect)
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

The Arch Vile, certainly gave me a run for my money.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Captain Ventris wrote:SWEET, two more bosses!
And each one has it's own unique area. :)

Actually, one problem I have is thinking up puzzles to reach these bosses. So far, one is open with no puzzle, and the other requires a key. I can't think of where to place the puzzles, or what they could be. Maybe I'll come up with something.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”