problems with 47i

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

problems with 47i

Post by Guest »

I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have this but I saw it on a site (I dont think randy would aprieciate me telling everone the address..) and couldn't resist downoading it.. :roll: and well... one thing it lags when I go around corners.. this didnt use to happen. Is this a bug or just me?
Biff

Post by Biff »

It's probably "just you". Others have not noted this issue. Check back and forth between 47.cab and 47i.cab. If you are sure that there's a difference, tell us what wad you are playing.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I don't really think it's just him, because it does this on my system, too. Then again, my computer is pretty old, and is mainly does this playing MassMouth 2, which is a super advanced wad.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Xaser, are you saying that 47.cab runs OK, and that 47i has a lag problem in single player? Does it repeat when going around the "problem" corner, or just do it once? Any corner? There are some one-time script functions which can cause game hesitation but I doubt that Cyb would allow that (changing sector colors for example, it's been said that the map should include a dummy sector which sets that particular color at map startup to avoid a hesitation later). The problem doesn't sound like the typical lowering of frame rate when many lines / sectors come into view.
Willis

Post by Willis »

guest was me.. :roll: and correction it "lags" whenever I turn with the mouse in general not just around corners. This happens on all maps and I'm using a P4 1.6 ghz comp, although it only has a 16mb gfx card I wouldnt think that would matter because this is only doom.. and it runs at 50-60 fps on 1024 x 768 even when it is "lagging"

EDIT: Yes 47.cab runs smooth and dandy at 35 fps no "lagging"
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ok, so now I'm confused. What do you mean by "lagging". To me, that would mean choppyness due to a low frames per second rate. Yet you're saying even when lagging you're getting 50-60 fps, but things seem better at 35 fps all the time.

Could it just be that you are noticing frame slow down from the really high values to lower values, even if these values are still higher than the old 35 fps?

What happens if you type cl_capfps 1 at the console to force 47i to be capped at 35 fps?
Biff

Post by Biff »

47i also incorporates "player prediction" which is on by default. I thought that the prediction only affected multiplayer, but maybe not. Check the variable cl_noprediction, it's usually false so prediction is on. Can you please toggle it on and off (true or false, 1 or 0) and see if that is causing it?
Willis

Post by Willis »

Enjay wrote:Ok, so now I'm confused. What do you mean by "lagging". To me, that would mean choppyness due to a low frames per second rate. Yet you're saying even when lagging you're getting 50-60 fps, but things seem better at 35 fps all the time.

Could it just be that you are noticing frame slow down from the really high values to lower values, even if these values are still higher than the old 35 fps?

What happens if you type cl_capfps 1 at the console to force 47i to be capped at 35 fps?
Yes I know its odd but when it was "lagging" there was no apperent drop in the FPS Display

and capping the fps did remove the strange "turning lag"
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Actually, my comp started doing this as well recently and I dunno why. Anytime during landscape changes, such as quakes, lifts, doors and while looking at animated flats. A P3 866 256 RAM shouldn't be (wasn't) doing this.
Biff

Post by Biff »

cccp, you are not playing zdoom in "windowed" mode, are you? That causes quite a bit of graphics slowdown and a laggy feel.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

For future reference, "cccp" is my CS clan handle; "leha" is my name :D (should be cccp.leha, but the Web is bitchy). I run ZDoom at 1024x768 full-screen, and this didn't occur, now that I think about it, untill I completed MassMouth 2 and cleaned out my ZDoom dir (from ~300 files to ~50) Hmm...

EDIT: When I toggle freeze mode on/off, it speeds back up to normal. Ex: in this thread, in the second WAD, when it turns the corner and a mancubus/revenant/ cyber comes into view, ZDoom slows down to 10 or so FPS.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Guess what, Cyb's Helmsdeep also runs faster when Freeze Mode is on :-P
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Very true, same goes for nuts*; but be it the one linked in my prev. post or 2 rooms and a corridor, ZDoom still yeilds those unfortunate 5 FPS results :(

Return to “General”