[Sprites]NeoWorm Resources - Google drive link pg.1

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
neoworm

Re: [Sprites]NeoWorm Resources - Google drive link pg.1

Post by neoworm »

Some armors and shields. Some are adapted from Diablo, some are based on HeXen and Heretic stuff and some are brand new.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Awesome and various armos and cloaks! Now they're in 100% raven style.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

neoworm wrote:Some armors and shields. Some are adapted from Diablo, some are based on HeXen and Heretic stuff and some are brand new.
great stuff except shields looks bad. this hexen falcon shield or heretic enhanced shield style of bright countour is trash.
diablo 1 gothic shield is glorious

Image I wish i had this model in second person perspective angle, to use in Heretic as monster.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Lagi wrote:this hexen falcon shield or heretic enhanced shield style of bright countour is trash.
A bit harsh there, bud.
I think they look great.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The magenta cross one looks a bit odd because the shading makes the cross look very substantial and even as if it stands off from the background by quite a bit (i.e. it's a 3D entity in itself). The others look fine to me and true to the original graphics style.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

The shields are just somewhat bigger versions of the original HeXen and Heretic shields. They looked kinda tiny and non shield like that much. The last one is based on this one. I may do some more, but right now those are kinda useless since HeXen armor system is limited even more than DooM armor system. It would be best to have some almost RPG like equipment system with different stats and enchantments.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

the shields itself are improvement over vanilla shapes, and i like them too. Im saying this bright contour style (outline) is cheap (even in vanilla games):

plus the shield are black and white, and looks like a carving in massive chunk of metal.
They could benefit from some LITTLE color to break the monochrome felling. YES, and im aware that in the same post i write that the outline is too flashy.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Lagi wrote:<<
On the shields, I disagree. I think, for the intended style and for looking like they belong to the target games, the bright surrounding works perfectly. It's an exact match for what Raven did - which is the entire point.

I also think that the bright yellow around the armour is not a valid comparison with the shields. Those surrounds do look cheap and obviously not part if the armour. Something like that would be intended to make the item look like a pickup or something. That's not the case with the shields where the border looks like it is part of the shield and could easily be something covered in gold, or painted yellow in real life. Is it bold, is it a bit over the top? Yes. Does it match the general style of Raven games? Also yes. The high-colour look of those games is part of what defines them and the whole Raven aesthetic.

The ones with the more subdued edges look washed out and would not suit Heretic or Hexen IMO.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

if you faded between the two frames so that the edge pulsed yellow that would look good, but yeah, I think it misses the style of the target games. I do like the concept for the armor. With some work animating it it would look really good and fit in with some of the other things.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Actually, I never thought it looks enchanted/magical, I thought it's something like an adorned rim made of bright copper for ornamental purpoes.

Lagi's edits are also interesting, but they don't stand out from map decoration - possible wall ornaments, not items. The shields with the rim are easier to spot among other pixels.
I must say now I really like the design of that hawk/eagle shield, you have the triangular cutouts in the upper edge so the person can peek from behind the shield when fighting with minimal exposure. Great stuff!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

this is vanilla shield from heretic. Looks great, "realistic". Like a part of level decoration. Blend nice with rest of the game. Its a benefit in my book.
Spoiler:
this "shield" looks like generic pickup. It could give +50% damage for 30 sec, grant invisibility or summon demon to help you fighting.
Spoiler:

Also my armor idea (that kind of backfire), suppose to show, how change fine looking "level decoration" of pickups, into "magik", cheap stuff.
That is max easy to spot, there is only missing big arrows floating above, with text "PICK UP, NOW ITS BETTER CAUSE ITS MAGIC".

but i understand we are all different and have different taste.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I understand and get what you're saying - and I even agree to a certain extent, but the point of these sprites is for them to fit in with what already exists in the game and, given that they use the colour scheme of the item that they were adapted from, they do that job perfectly IMO. The more "realistic" look also has its place, but that satisfies a slightly different set of goals.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Some more. This is my whole collection of armor items so far. I also tried to adapt Hellforge armors to fit with others.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

New waterfall textures for Heretic and HeXen.
Image Image Image Image

And some color variation.
Image Image
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

neoworm wrote:New waterfall textures for Heretic and HeXen.
These look great. Could you possibly put the individual frames in the Google Drive folder?

Return to “Resources”