[Feature req] Steady automap update

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

[Feature req] Steady automap update

Post by Hirogen2 »

When playing live (that is, now) or watching a demo, the linedefs you see are not added to the automap when you are viewing the automap (Full Automap, not overlay). Though this might be standard Doom/Heretic/Hexen behavior.
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

It never did show those until after you exited and re-entered the automap (in original DOOM). However, since it does do so for the transparent overlay map, it would be kind of nice as at least an optionable feature. It's a bit harder (triple-tab) to get in and out of the automap in ZDoom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The linedefs get mapped for the automap when they are rendered. When you are in full automap mode nothing gets rendered so there is no automap update. As this is tightly tied into the renderer's clipping code I don't see much of a chance to change this.
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

Okay, worth a try though. Thanks for the details, Graf. Or Zahl. Or GZ... :)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Is there any way, or a possible option, to disable the full automap, so it'd only toggle between none and overlay? That would be cool.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ty Halderman wrote:Okay, worth a try though. Thanks for the details, Graf. Or Zahl. Or GZ... :)

Not 'Graf' and not 'Zahl' . It's always 'Graf Zahl'. ;)
rpeter

Post by rpeter »

Chris wrote:Is there any way, or a possible option, to disable the full automap, so it'd only toggle between none and overlay? That would be cool.
I guess the automap is drawn in function AM_Drawer in am_map.cpp. I don't see a cvar here, so it won't work without commenting out the not viewactive branch and recompile.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Even if the option would have to force drawing of the screen even though it can't be seen (Draw the screen, then draw the automap over it, the final render should show only the automap), IMO it would be worth doing. I also like the option to disable the full-screen automap, but you would then be unable to get to certain information (kill count, secret count, etc), particularly in Hexen. If there was a way to put this extra info in the hud somewhere when the overlay was up, it'd be the best of both worlds.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The linedefs get mapped for the automap when they are rendered. When you are in full automap mode nothing gets rendered so there is no automap update. As this is tightly tied into the renderer's clipping code I don't see much of a chance to change this.
Well I can live with if the rendering takes place (but is not shown), I can give away some CPU cycles.

Return to “General”