Donations For Zdoom

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Sparky

Donations For Zdoom

Post by Sparky »

I thought this might be a great idea to get some extra zdoom type stuff
donations!! only if randy agrees of course
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are we talking code donations or money donations? The first I'd do with pleasure! (If Randy is interested, of course.) ;)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

money donations
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I would, but all my money goes into computer parts, computer games, toilet paper, and food, in that order. Hey, I know my priorities.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Same for me, but in reverse order.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

HotWax wrote:computer parts, computer games
And just what do you think ZDoom is, an abacus game? :P
DrewbieDoobie007

Post by DrewbieDoobie007 »

I definitely would - Randy could also do what some other sites do and get a T-shirt deal or something so we could buy a z-doom t-shirt for like 15 bucks and Randy would get some of that $$.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'd be quite happy to donate, buy a tee or whatever. I've probably had more fun in recent years from Zdoom than any of the games I have shelled out significant amounts of cash for. I'd like to be able to give something back.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I think I could spare a sweater or pair of shoes. I'll drop them off the next time I pass one of the bins.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Chris wrote:
HotWax wrote:computer parts, computer games
And just what do you think ZDoom is, an abacus game? :P
Well I was referring to stuff like DAOC and Uru... stuff I pay (or will be paying shortly) a monthly fee for. I also forgot to mention my bills above, but those are such a low priority, right up until they threaten to cut me off, that they just slipped my mind. :roll:

Seriously though, I would donate to Randy if that's what he wants, but I'm nowhere near rich, particularly considering the Xmas season, so couldn't spare much.
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

It would be fairly simple to throw up a PayPal link for people to contribute. However, there are a couple of issues from Randy's point of view.

First of all, I'd imagine he's just paying for zdoom.org as I do for teamtnt.com without any intention of making a business out of it, just a cost of a hobby. Even as a non-profit organization, there's plenty of bookkeeping and such that has to be handled. So you're asking him to start a business, effectively. This is why I never tried to sell CDs or shirts or whatever on teamtnt.com.

Yet :roll:

Assuming he'd be willing to do that, however, I can just see people expecting preferential treatment because they'd put money into "the product" or insisting a feature was implemented or changed "their way." Granted Randy would be the one who would have to deal with that, but I certainly wouldn't want to pressure him into such a situation.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

no, im talking about that
i mean paying for for keeping zdoom in development and the zdoom site running
im sure randy pays all of this out of his own pocket to keep it running for us
it seems so much hes willing to do that i think we should give back to him
paypal or some alternative is something i was thinking of
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

Sparky:

You don't seem to get it that he can't just "take" donations and use them to pay the bills. If we were personal friends, we might be able to pitch in and help, but he'd still be required under the law to track that as income as well. At least that's how it works in the US.

It at a minimum has to be a sole proprietorship business, which requires reporting income and expense (even if they're equal or you take a loss) and paying taxes as appropriate. Even though it's an Internet business, he may find requirements for getting licenses to operate said business in his home state/city.

Then again, I'm discussing this with a talking, dancing banana from Kitchener. :P
arioch

Post by arioch »

Yes, all of Ty's concerns are valid.

Not to mention that, as far as I can read it, the Doom/Raven license combination that part of ZDoom is under prohibits any such activity.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

In that case, we can just get shirts that say "Randy Heit" !

Return to “General”