[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
osjclatchford

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by osjclatchford »

Enjay wrote:That looks great. Be even greater if they had some not-scared frames so that you could set them to fly into a panic when the shooting starts. I appreciate that would be a lot of additional work though.
well you could just use the standing frame but I figure you mean walking around? that might be possible... not anytime too soon though...

*edit*
By the way, I'd love to see an edit of this with a labcoat on but I'm buggered if I can manage it.
so, If anyone's up to the task please do so!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

osjclatchford wrote:well you could just use the standing frame...
Yes, that would work. However, his arm and leg positions already make him look a little alarmed (like he's just seen something troubling and is getting ready to run). It would probably be pretty easy to do an edit to make a completely not alarmed standing frame though. (Not suggesting that you need to - it should be possible for most people who have a bit of spriting experience.)
osjclatchford wrote:but I figure you mean walking around? that might be possible... not anytime too soon though...
Ultimately, yes, that was what I had in mind. I know that it would be quite a bit of work, but it would be cool. I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen soon, if it happened at all. Not demanding; merely suggesting. :biggrin:
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

had a quick crack at making a more relaxed idle sprite for this guy.

was mostly just repositioning the legs and redoing the arms. not perfect but definitely looks less scared.
Might give walking sprites a go if I can get motivated.
*EDIT

not the best, but simple strolling around town man, also did a clean death as I always find them useful.
As much effort as I can put in at moment but sure someone else can tweak it better.

Also, because I did the legs first I ended up with these sprites which remind me of a classic Romero style shuffling zombie.
Last edited by DeeDeeOZ on Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

osjclatchford wrote:some of you may remember when craneo took my blood style 'innocents' and attempted to clean them up and domify them a bit.
He did a grand job, especially with the cleanup but I decided to revisit these today and managed to doomify them even more!
Splendid work on the civilian sprite. This Hell on Earth worldbuilding is getting quite large and i love where this is goin' :D
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:had a quick crack at making a more relaxed idle sprite for this guy.

was mostly just repositioning the legs and redoing the arms. not perfect but definitely looks less scared.
*EDIT

not the best, but simple strolling around town man, also did a clean death as I always find them useful.
As much effort as I can put in at moment but sure someone else can tweak it better.

Also, because I did the legs first I ended up with these sprites which remind me of a classic Romero style shuffling zombie.

he looks good enough for a classic style doom II rpg caldex
Bjecinst
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bjecinst »

wicky-wicky (wip)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:had a quick crack at making a more relaxed idle sprite for this guy.

*EDIT

you absolute legend sir. this is great and finishes him off fabulously!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

updated this today:

to feature slightly different look to the auto version's barrel.

credit to sonic-o-fan for the original launcher I based this off of and obviously the kdizd team whom we were clearly inspired by!
Bjecinst

Post by Bjecinst »

Bjecinst wrote:wicky-wicky (wip)
update: i finished this!!
Spoiler: spoilered due to it being a bit large
credits to:
- the original creator of the pistol marine sprite (i forgot who did it, sry :C)
- Sgt. Mark IV for the jumping marine sprites from brutal doom

also, as a bonus, have just the hat
Last edited by Bjecinst on Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:sprite sheets
Great job. Combined with osjclatchford's original, it is now easy to create a regular person who just wanders around but who can be sent into a state of panic by some event or other. :thumb:
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

I'm not really much of a graphical artist but here are a couple if rockets and missiles I edited for my project.
Temp1.png
Temp1.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Does anyone know who made the original? I'd like to give proper credit.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

After seeing 2nd, 4th and 5th rotations... I guess it's from Shadow Warrior? It has the same missile sprites like that. Also great looking missile sprites there!
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

I needed a precision/sniper style rifle for my project and I thought that osjclatchford's edit of DrDryspy's and ThrashfanBert1994's zombie man rifle would make an excellent base. I tried to frakensprite a scope onto it but the perspective was wrong. Unfortunately with my limited graphical skills, no matter how much I tried to correct the scope's perspective, it ended up being squished and likely wont look proper with Doom's stretched pixel ratio.

Anyway here is my best attempt.
test.png
test.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Bjecinst

Post by Bjecinst »

decided to take a stab at making a more formal/relaxed idle pose for him

personally, i think we should name the guy... maybe steve?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Bjecinst wrote: Image
personally, i think we should name the guy... maybe steve?
well, Ive been calling him karl because the original ones I made kinda looked like karl pilkington:
karl.png
karl.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
and btw, the static pose is fantastic, Bjecinst!

god its come a long way from how its started eh? glad its caught people's attention.
between us all its getting better and better!

Return to “General”