[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bimshwel

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by bimshwel »

The imp is problematic to use as a base since its feet seem to look different depending on the angle, and like other doom 1 beasts the animation doesn't look much like it is walking except from in front and behind, and I tend to think it looks like it is walking backwards!
The regular demon, baron and cyberdemon meanwhile have inverted knees rather than proper goat-style legs. It works for them but is difficult to analyze, and the presumably more traditionally-minded box-artist wasn't having that. Whatever the case I must agree that this pink weirdo here looks like it belongs in the regular game! Getting the contrast right is really important. This chubby fellow with the big shotgun, for example, I think would benefit from lighter green highlights, particularly while firing, and darker blue shadows. I like having another zombie that isn't a traced over player (as the original doom 1 pair were, and thus all derivations of consequently also are), though.
addendoy: I suppose it DOES share the player's form; at my initial glance I assumed it was based on the chaingun zombie, but it still has a different body type.

I am too familiar with leg weirdness since I learned to "draw" in large part by trying to figure out the sprites from video games across a few years. Doom was still rather a step up from my Kirby rip-off phase, though.
Last edited by bimshwel on Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

bimshwel wrote: I think would benefit from lighter green highlights, particularly while firing, and darker blue shadows.
very much in agreement here, especially on the dark blue shadows, original edit has darker pants but makes it harder to use color translation as last couple of colors are in diffrent range. Actually usually run the pants as grey as I don't really think many people (besides police/tradesmen) wear bright blue pants

spoiler because lots of images
Spoiler:
ShallowB

Post by ShallowB »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:Honestly never really been happy that the Spectre is just a invisible pinky
When I first played Doom, I assumed they were meant to be ghosts, and since you can’t really see them anyway, they just reused the only enemy in the game without a ranged attack instead of making a new sprite.

Always thought it was weird that later games seemed to accept that they are literally just Pinky demons that are invisible instead of taking the opportunity to make them their own monster. At least Doom 64 had a recolored sprite for them that was visible before they spotted you and after you killed them! Gave them a cool Predator cloaking mechanic instead of just being invisible enemies.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Similarly, I always thought that the Hell Knight was a bit of a cop-out visually. It's just a recolour. Even a minor edit to... I dunno, lose its horns or something, would have made it feel like a bit of effort had been put in. It's a great enemy niche-wise, but visually I always thought it was cheap.

It also struck me as especially odd when, at a time where disk space was a premium, they added a completely new sprite set but they were basically the same as the baron. I mean, they already had colour translations in for the players. If they were going the cheap route, they could possibly have done the recolour programmatically with a custom palette translation.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:original edit has darker pants but makes it harder to use color translation as last couple of colors are in diffrent range.
oh right the troublesome divided blue sets. I wonder if it would be possible to have a built-in translation command/code/thingery which treats those two ranges as one. That reminds me how in my own mess I simply condensed the first set of blues to go darker faster, since I was using less intense cartoon-style shading anyhow, and haven't decided how to repurpose the second set yet. Obviously that is not an option with something meant to integrate with the proper game!
ShallowB wrote:When I first played Doom, I assumed they were meant to be ghosts, and since you can’t really see them anyway, they just reused the only enemy in the game without a ranged attack instead of making a new sprite.
one of the monsters in the final level of NES Rygar is literally one of the earlier bosses given an all-black palette. Of course that was developed in 1986. And then as a consequence of that black palette the two original monsters for that stage have all their details hidden
Enjay wrote:Similarly, I always thought that the Hell Knight was a bit of a cop-out visually. It's just a recolour. Even a minor edit to... I dunno, lose its horns or something, would have made it feel like a bit of effort had been put in. It's a great enemy niche-wise, but visually I always thought it was cheap.
I would guess that the hell knight was added very late precisely to fill a niche. The other new monsters (not including the nazis, which weren't new) are all more difficult than the originals, but hell knight is easier.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Enjay wrote:Even a minor edit to... I dunno, lose its horns or something
exactly this. You also reminded me of a old mod thing I did which was sort of a blood/cult human followers and smart demon idea

the hornless guy was Spectre replacement and could only punch then the horned one was the Hellknight replacement and had range and melee.
looking back there not the best sprites but you can clearly tell the horned version is the better/older/alpha version and is more of a threat.

bunch of demon sprites from same mod. NSFW tag to be safe due to silly pink Baron skin on show
Spoiler:
Also..

this guy was the Archvile replacement.. with Necron's voice from Cybermage
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

RECEIVE THY POUNDING
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Kinsie wrote:RECEIVE THY POUNDING
great job with this guy

whats your project?
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Chasm's Double Barreled-Shotgun, but DOOM-ified.
chasm shottyier.png
chasm shottyier.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
(Credits: ID Software, DoomNukem(?), ActionForms and WizardWorks Software for inspiration)
r&r

Post by r&r »

I edited a Batman Sprite using the Doom Marine sprite.

and this is the "NO Capes!" version,
might edit the cape version later on.
Attachments
BatmanSpriteEdit.png
Lucas Kord

Post by Lucas Kord »

Doom Eternal sprite progress. Credits do ID software and me.

Post by Guest »

Even better if you add pants to D4D6 and D5!
Xim

Post by Xim »

That's an awesome Bats! A cape version would be pretty awesome, but it was a very smart idea to make one without first.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looking good. Tho i'm not sure about Batman wearing baby blue bodysuit. Gloves, Boots and Helmet are well colored yeah, it's just because of 80's comic version of him having grey one.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Xim wrote:That's an awesome Bats! A cape version would be pretty awesome, but it was a very smart idea to make one without first.
Yeah thinking using Hexen's Cleric cape for him to finish it off.
Captain J wrote:Looking good. Tho i'm not sure about Batman wearing baby blue bodysuit. Gloves, Boots and Helmet are well colored yeah, it's just because of 80's comic version of him having grey one.
Yeah but it be easy to recolor his body to more grey-blue like
I can do two versions of him the more 60's and 80's-90's colors

Return to “General”