[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
User avatar
torridgristle
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by torridgristle »

MetallicaSepultura wrote:Image
new version of the Light Rifle with materials added.
You're making some cool old-school 3D guns, but your positioning is off. Keep the gun straight and centre in the world, have the camera face the same direction, and pan the camera around without rotating it. This way the gun will always point forward toward the centre of the screen. Also for 16:9 you'll want to render a multiple of 428x200 with 1.2 vertical aspect ratio. Ever since I switched from rendering 1600x900 to rendering 1712x800 with 1.2 vertical ratio my resulting 428x200 resizes have become a lot sharper.

Also, I looked at a high-poly Star Wars blaster model the other day and noticed that it looked particularly 90s and I think a large part of it was that almost all of its edges had small but very smooth bevelling. This allowed light to reflect on the edges.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by TheRailgunner »

torridgristle wrote:Image
Raab KM50 Sniper Rifle from FEAR. I know the animation doesn't look great, but it should at least have enough frames for a good animation to be made in Doom. Even made the rifle lift up and back when the bolt is pulled.

Removed the scope and such because I think it looked awful with it on.
Don't suppose you have that in angled form, do you? High-quality Doom-ready sniper rifle sprites are kind of a rarity for some reason.
User avatar
MetallicaSepultura
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:49 am
Location: Futura City, currently slaughtering Rahzs

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by MetallicaSepultura »

torridgristle wrote:
MetallicaSepultura wrote:Image
new version of the Light Rifle with materials added.
You're making some cool old-school 3D guns, but your positioning is off. Keep the gun straight and centre in the world, have the camera face the same direction, and pan the camera around without rotating it. This way the gun will always point forward toward the centre of the screen. Also for 16:9 you'll want to render a multiple of 428x200 with 1.2 vertical aspect ratio. Ever since I switched from rendering 1600x900 to rendering 1712x800 with 1.2 vertical ratio my resulting 428x200 resizes have become a lot sharper.

Also, I looked at a high-poly Star Wars blaster model the other day and noticed that it looked particularly 90s and I think a large part of it was that almost all of its edges had small but very smooth bevelling. This allowed light to reflect on the edges.
thanks for the suggestions :)
and yeah, the gun it's not that centered, same thing for the camera, i still need to adjust that.
same thing for the scattergun.
gerolf
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by gerolf »

Wolfenstein 3d styled gun I made using my Laser Infrared Temperature Gun from work and my own hand. The colors could probably use a touch up and I'm sure it could be edited a bit to look like a real gun (which is my plan anyways).
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
torridgristle
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by torridgristle »

Image
I need to learn a better way of touching up sprites because it took me like 15 or 20 minutes to go from top to bottom since I'm just drawing and drawing over and over with a low opacity brush or pencil until tones match up like I'm dodging and burning away skin imperfections. It's nuts.
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Posts: 2411
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by zrrion the insect »

you can get a lot of millage out of painting large amounts of space a particular color, applying an alpha gradient to it, and adjusting layer opacity.
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16890
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Captain J »

torridgristle wrote:Image
I need to learn a better way of touching up sprites because it took me like 15 or 20 minutes to go from top to bottom since I'm just drawing and drawing over and over with a low opacity brush or pencil until tones match up like I'm dodging and burning away skin imperfections. It's nuts.
Keep studying, hope it's worth it a lot and you can get better anyhow! also, am i seeing that barrel's left side has green shade?
M22A1 Combatant Rifle.PNG
Everyone is getting better, Not me. But hey, i've made bullet pickup sprite, though. They looks nice so i ripped together.

Original by devonarason at Sketchfab.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Slax
... in rememberance ...
Posts: 2121
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:01 am
Location: Window office.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Slax »

torridgristle wrote:Image
I need to learn a better way of touching up sprites because it took me like 15 or 20 minutes to go from top to bottom since I'm just drawing and drawing over and over with a low opacity brush or pencil until tones match up like I'm dodging and burning away skin imperfections. It's nuts.
Layers and opacity. So much quicker.
User avatar
Redfox123
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 am
Location: out side your window

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Redfox123 »

ok i have done a some what bad attempt at the 1960 assault rifle
feel free to edit and improve
Image
and the shotgun might need a bit of coloring i will fix that later
Image
User avatar
VriskaSerket
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:44 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Location: 6th Layer of the Abyss

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by VriskaSerket »

Oops, I did it again.

Image

This time I fused the classic, 64 and centered 2016 BFGs.
User avatar
Redead-ITA
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:06 am
Location: At the Pizza Tower

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Redead-ITA »

VriskaSerket wrote:Oops, I did it again.

Image

This time I fused the classic, 64 and centered 2016 BFGs.
. .
_
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_| MOUTH SHUT OPEN
Those are awsome sprites
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Posts: 2759
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 pm
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

After this one, i quit doing bfg's.
User avatar
VriskaSerket
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:44 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Location: 6th Layer of the Abyss

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by VriskaSerket »

GAA1992 wrote:After this one, i quit doing bfg's.
Literally the one thing that's impossible for me.
User avatar
Slax
... in rememberance ...
Posts: 2121
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:01 am
Location: Window office.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Slax »

*cough*

User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16890
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Captain J »

Euyp. Anyone? Would be nice if someone can make this though.

Return to “General”