[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
User avatar
Blox
Posts: 3728
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Apathetic Limbo

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Blox »

well since everyone only likes dank sprite pusher's here and not stupid things where you need a pressure sensitive drawing tablet to accomplish anything like making a Image placeholder-quality thing in 20 minutes then you would probably want to check out aseprite or something
User avatar
simpletonnn
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by simpletonnn »

Spoiler: kinda big
idle frame
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Captain J »

Blox wrote:well since everyone only likes dank sprite pusher's here and not stupid things where you need a pressure sensitive drawing tablet to accomplish anything like making a Image placeholder-quality thing in 20 minutes then you would probably want to check out aseprite or something
TBH, i like the stupid things where you need a pressure sensitive drawing tablet to accomplish anything like making a Image(srry 4 intentional reprise) placeholder-quality thing in 20 minutes then you would probably want to check out aseprite or something even more than the dank sprite pusher's works, like me.

in other words, i respect, and like such spriters like you!
User avatar
RSSwizard
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by RSSwizard »

Blox wrote:well since everyone only likes dank sprite pusher's here and not stupid things where you need a pressure sensitive drawing tablet to accomplish anything like making a Image placeholder-quality thing in 20 minutes then you would probably want to check out aseprite or something
I have only a 7 year old netbook (with 2gb ram, to be fair) and a laser gaming mouse.
And a photoshop 7 torrent special.

Because im homeless and use wifi cafes to get online and charge my computer.
(to be fair, I live in a self constructed hut, which is technically living off the grid).
(though by and large that means I literally Live Under A Rock).
(my home doesnt leak and mosquitos cant get in it, but darned if it doesn't have electricity).

So I think its kinda silly to have a pressure sensitive tablet, never had the chance to buy one of those before.
Never had enough money.
Even when I did work.
Which was over 10 years ago.

But hey ive been spriting since 1994 and it was all thanks to the gorgeous graphics of doom when it was released that inspired me to start my pixel art.

Using a little known program called DPAINT2, which happened to be the same program that the guys at iDSoftware were using for their pixel pushing.

Because DPaint2 has this AntiAliasing mode accessed via F7 which works in a 256 paletted image... because it has translation tables built in that lets it pick the appropriate color for the new pixel. Imagine that... somebody not being lazy when it comes to antialiasing tools... because thats what they had to work with at the time.

Hmm I think I might get that again, see if it works in dosbox.
It saves to this horrible .LBM format, but there are converters for that sorta thing.
User avatar
Wiw
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:58 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Everywhere and nowhere.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Wiw »

adamaH_oriH wrote:Image

FINALLY! after a LONG TIME, I finally finished the main sprites!

Here we have Hiro Hamada for Zdoom, the main sprites have him holding the 4th doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.
He replaces the Doomguy Marine.

His shirt is green because for players, green is what allows you to change the marine's colors.

the Walking frames took 4 days, the shooting frames took me 2 days, the pain sprites took me 2 hours, the Death sprites took me 3 days, the exploding into gibs took me 3 months, the 'death by dalek' sprites took me 40 minutes.

I used this as the main source for the 4th walking frame, then once I built the front frame out of it, I did all the other frames with few to no guides: http://davitsu.deviantart.com/art/Hiro- ... -507894620 WITH CREDIT TO BE GIVEN. Oh, wait, I already told the guy I was doing this.

Editors used to make these:
Photofiltre to resize the original sprite from the deviantart
everything else...

MICROSOFT PAINT!!! YES! I made all of those sprites in that amount of time using ONLY Microsoft PAINT!!!

EDIT: HAIR FIX, CENTER HAIR WAS REVERSED.

CREDIT:

Hiro Hamada: Disney, Himself
Doom: ID Software
Original Sprite: Davistu
Full Sprites: Me

I also Posted this to Deviantart. as is where I wrote the original info.: http://alexself-apocalypse9.deviantart. ... -613338485
Oh man, I loved that movie too! Not sure how the Sonic Screwdriver and Dalek fit in, but sure.
User avatar
Orka
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am
Location: Lost in the backrooms.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Orka »

A quick attempt at... I don't know. This is the result:
Image
Do you recognize the original monsters?
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Captain J »

Sans - Goatmen
Papyrus - Revenant(duh)

anyway have you ever heard about the thread called Spriting Apocalypse? it'll need that kind of sprite, if i can tell!
User avatar
Slax
... in loving memory ...
Posts: 2121
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:01 am
Location: Window office.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Slax »

...aaand now it's a slug thing.
Image
Or maybe a micro world.
User avatar
adamaH_oriH
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Mars Base

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by adamaH_oriH »

Wiw wrote:
adamaH_oriH wrote:Image

FINALLY! after a LONG TIME, I finally finished the main sprites!

Here we have Hiro Hamada for Zdoom, the main sprites have him holding the 4th doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.
He replaces the Doomguy Marine.

His shirt is green because for players, green is what allows you to change the marine's colors.

the Walking frames took 4 days, the shooting frames took me 2 days, the pain sprites took me 2 hours, the Death sprites took me 3 days, the exploding into gibs took me 3 months, the 'death by dalek' sprites took me 40 minutes.

I used this as the main source for the 4th walking frame, then once I built the front frame out of it, I did all the other frames with few to no guides: http://davitsu.deviantart.com/art/Hiro- ... -507894620 WITH CREDIT TO BE GIVEN. Oh, wait, I already told the guy I was doing this.

Editors used to make these:
Photofiltre to resize the original sprite from the deviantart
everything else...

MICROSOFT PAINT!!! YES! I made all of those sprites in that amount of time using ONLY Microsoft PAINT!!!

EDIT: HAIR FIX, CENTER HAIR WAS REVERSED.

CREDIT:

Hiro Hamada: Disney, Himself
Doom: ID Software
Original Sprite: Davistu
Full Sprites: Me

I also Posted this to Deviantart. as is where I wrote the original info.: http://alexself-apocalypse9.deviantart. ... -613338485
Oh man, I loved that movie too! Not sure how the Sonic Screwdriver and Dalek fit in, but sure.
I'm working on a doom mod... Hiro and Noodle from gorillaz versus...

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
Spoiler:
MAJOR SPOILER:
Spoiler:
EDIT: FINALLY GOT HIRO HAMADA SOUNDS!!!
Last edited by adamaH_oriH on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ZioMcCall
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:05 pm
Location: Senigallia,Italy

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by ZioMcCall »

SmarineS wrote:A quick attempt at... I don't know. This is the result:
Image
Do you recognize the original monsters?
Sans as a baron of hell and Papyrus as revenant(Naturaly lol)
User avatar
Redead-ITA
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:06 am
Location: Italia

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Redead-ITA »

i just immagine that pap would say just this
"NYEEEEEEEEEEEH" When he sees the player
"Nyeh" or "Nyeh heh heh" when hes walking For a while
Sans is like
"Heh" in eveything realy
User avatar
Wolfbrf
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Wolfbrf »

in next version of my mod.

no, its dont work like HL version(grenade launcher), but still a bio gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
simpletonnn
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by simpletonnn »

okay so i got the amazing idea to combine the combat shotgun with the super shotgun and it turned out pretty okay actually
Image
i might actually make this into a gun for dump 3
User avatar
abbuw
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 am
Location: South Lake Hills

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by abbuw »

simpletonnn wrote:okay so i got the amazing idea to combine the combat shotgun with the super shotgun and it turned out pretty okay actually
Image
i might actually make this into a gun for dump 3
Someone had already done a sheet based off of beta Doom resources John Romero released. First two frames are official frames from iD, someone else did the other two.

Image
User avatar
YukesVonFaust
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:00 am
Location: why the hell did they remove custom titles for this?

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by YukesVonFaust »

adamaH_oriH wrote:Image
Bah-la-la-la-la-la-la. Nice Sprites though.
maybe in your mod, you better add some Big Hero 6 references. i know Doctor Who... but... yeah.

Return to “General”