ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Voltcom9 wrote:I've been wanting to create / or take part in creating a Wolfendoom Community Episode for quite some time. As much as I enjoy creating maps, I do not have the fortitude to create all of them on my own and it's really cool to see what other people come up with. Anyways, I had a neat idea of having like 7 people create maps using mostly the Wolf3d textures along with custom textures or whatever. As long as it appears like a Wolf3d type castle.

The idea would be that the player clears the castle and has to walk back out. But on walking back out they have to complete the 7 maps quite differently. The 7 returning maps could be edited by either their creators or by different people and would be fully repopulated and appear like the original maps but have different routes present or things like alarms going off etc. Anyways, just an idea that I came up with on a whim. As I said, I think this would be neat but not sure if I'd be able to run a CP at this point in time.
That sounds a lot like Laz Rojas' "Treasure Hunt" where you have to escape from a re-fortified castle with some stolen treasure.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Ultima Underworld isn't really playable on modern hardware. It used 2D sprites like Doom. In fact, it came out before Doom and gets overlooked in history.

But I'd like to see a Hexen or Heretic mod that serves as an Ultima Underworld TC, either a direct recreation of those maps, or a spiritual successor.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

If one were to be made a spiritual successor would be better. It allows for more flexibility when you get to things that can't be directly ported, and new maps in old settings are always welcome.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Someone please make a cooperative-compatible Ultima Underworld TC. I just saw the last two posts and suddenly had to add my little 2-cent endorsement. Hell, I only played into the first few rooms of the first dungeon - and I don't even remember if it was UW or UW2 - but this definitely needs to happen. I'm more likely to play it in GZDoom (especially because it would be moddable) and I've got at least one friend I suspect would absolutely LAN party with me if this thing became a reality.

But, alas, that would take some serious work and probably a long time... someone please make it anyway; I promise to say nice things about you. What? No, I'm not going to make it myself! I'm far too busy with... other things. :P
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Ahem

Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

16"14"-20 gauge one shot at a time :S
it also looks really uncomfortable

MkIII looks a lot better though

...and then that Colt version looks like a HD-ized ridiculous caricature of the concept @_@

"if you really had the memory for it... and load the 4 chambers with different types"

More weapon ideas for a Dirty Harry versus Rain Man DM mod!
(Doing this could work if you only had 4 ammo types or less and trained constantly to always put one type in one quadrant)
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

It looks like the Team Future crew are still active and have done other things since, but RTC-3057 was never completed. I believe it still holds the distinction of the only project on the Top 100 WADs of all time list, and a Cacoward winner. The released version has a known show-stopper bug. Years later it is still a gold standard. I'd really love to see RTC-3057 completed. If Team Future truly doesn't want to finish it, could someone else pick up the torch?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Introducing RUBIDUM (RWBY Doom)!

Anyone here ever heard of an internet show called RWBY (pronounced "ruby")?

This is a partial conversion gameplay mod, replacing weapons/items/monsters with stuff from RWBY.

- Monsters will be replaced with a menagerie of Grimm.
- Weapons will be an arsenal of some of the classic RWBY weapons, including some that were used by Team RWBY.
- Not entirely sure about items... YET.
- The player is known as the Grimm Reaper... one of the last people alive after a massive Grimm onslaught decimates the population. Using a highly versatile powersuit and the weapons of many of his fallen friends and foes, he will not stop until every last Grimm is wiped off the face of the planet. RIP AND TEAR, UNTIL IT IS DONE!
Spoiler: Concept art for the Grimm Reaper
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Daggerfall/Arena TC.
Those games I feel would work for the Zdoom engine, especially with the DOOMrpg mod.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Both Arena and Daggerfall had dynamic lighting in software mode. :p

The huge open world part would be very hard to do in the Doom engine. You'd really need to get a cell grid system, with the engine dynamically loading and unloading parts of the level. Though if you do something with just the cities and dungeons that doesn't allow exploring the wilderness, then yes, it should be possible.
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I feel like a functional "open world" could be achieved with a hub setup where each "grid cell" is a large separate map with multiple controlled (non-combat) exit areas (canyon passes, tunnels, roads, bridges, etc) to control monster flow and help avoid jarring transitions. You'd get some Half Life 2-style loading delays, but it could work really well with some clever design IMO.

8-)
Tetsuryu

Post by Tetsuryu »

Here's an idea for a Doom mod:

DooMaid - you play as a maid and you go around dusting and straightening paintings...in HELL!

Also you can slap monsters when they get too rowdy, which makes them run away and cry.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wildweasel »

Tetsuryu wrote:Here's an idea for a Doom mod:

DooMaid - you play as a maid and you go around dusting and straightening paintings...in HELL!

Also you can slap monsters when they get too rowdy, which makes them run away and cry.
So, Viscera Cleanup Detail except before the incident instead of after it? Heh.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Gez wrote:Both Arena and Daggerfall had dynamic lighting in software mode. :p

The huge open world part would be very hard to do in the Doom engine. You'd really need to get a cell grid system, with the engine dynamically loading and unloading parts of the level. Though if you do something with just the cities and dungeons that doesn't allow exploring the wilderness, then yes, it should be possible.
You could always have traveling scenes written up with ACS where you get nifty multiple choice scenarios a la Dungeons of Fayte or Faster Than Light. Also using a day/night cycle and calendar (with seasons and holidays just like Bethesda did it) would help immersion if you could only visit cities and dungeons. I'm a little bit tempted to make a little proof-of-concept for all of this...

Actually, taking the choose-your-own-adventure stuff even further, you could make something a bit like Mount & Blade. Hell, you could even have a special map that operates as an overworld, viewing your character from top-down and triggering map exits when you get in proximity to some kind of landmark sprite. And that means you could have a procedurally generated world and... and I'm going on and on about this because it's a really cool idea.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

Recreating the ZX Spectrum version of Doom on ZDoom would be a pretty neat project

Return to “General”