Distance parameters for A_Look, A_Look2 and A_TurretLook

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

Re: Distance parameters for A_Look, A_Look2 and A_TurretLook

Post by Nash »

Congratulations Kate! And yay Thief-styles mods are finally possible! *looks at Enjay*
Last edited by Nash on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Yes, I was actually intending to separate it into different files but couldn't work out the proper #includes to make it work properly. **noob** I guess this makes me an official programmer! Whoo! ...I just remembered I was going to talk to randy about something concerning this but now I forgot what it was...gah
Nash

Post by Nash »

Script error, "actors/nativeclasses.txt" line 174:
The function 'A_LookEx' has not been exported from the executable.
An oversight perhaps... ?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

SVN update, please!
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

It's funny, because I wound up doing the exact same thing when I first tried to get it working. Eheheh. >.>

Edit: holy damn mingw died a horrible death trying to compile the new source file. X.x
Edit(3): Graf! You embedded a UTF-8 BOM in the beginning of the source file! it's causing GCC to freak out X.x I managed to fix it for now.

There, the new file is updated and an official revision. Now to figure out how to get the rest of it working.
Last edited by Kate on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Y E S !

Everybody and everything about this thread is fantastic. Merry Xmas! :cheers:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The BOM was in the file you posted. :P But it's removed now.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

That was because I wasn't intending for anyone to use the file as a base, that's why it had the .cpp.txt double extention. XD
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Kinda annoying that all text editors/viewers filter the thing out and only the compiler I don't use complains... :?
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

SnowKate709 wrote:Unfortunately I've never been able to own a cat because I'm highly allergic to them.
Shit, dude, what a bummer!
Nash wrote:He was my little buddy for 17 years.
IFYP, Nash... I was at my parents house last week and they had 9 cats but are now down to 8... little Ella was PTS last week and I had to bury her; it's only 2 years since her daughter died of a sarcoma (yes, cats get cancer too, sadly :(). She was only 11 yrs old, but developed premature kidney failure - premature because it usually only happens in older cats. I can still remember her on a visit to my parents house back in south-east England in 1996 when she was a tiny kitten in a large wicker basket. It's been 15 years since I last had to bury a cat, hope it's a long time before I have to do it again :(

On the plus side, my avatar cat and her had three kittens together of which there's still one, so at least Felix and his daddy are alive and kicking :thumb:

As for the monster getting bored, see this for an example of faking it with the current ZDoom.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That's a lovely cat you have there.

I'm never going to have another cat... mine is irreplacable and I don't think I want to be heartbroken like this ever again...
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

@SnowKate: sorry to bump this, but since you've very quickly familiarised yourself with the sight-checking code, could you advise as to how easily this ancient suggestion could be implemented? It would complement the new A_LookEx function well.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Hmm, actually that should be easy since I already have an idea of what to do. Give me a bit and I'll get right to it. I wouldn't have minded if you made the bump in the appropriate thread, though. Heh.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I've added [wiki]A_LookEx[/wiki] to the wiki, but I have a couple questions.

First, which of these (if any) were addressed, and which are still an issue?
SnowKate709 wrote:Problems:
  • Ignores the +LOOKALLAROUND actor flag (haven't gotten to that just yet, will in a bit), I'll probably just have it force the FOV to 360. AMBUSH works as expected, and takes sight distances into account.
  • Due to the way friendly monster logic works, it doesn't do anything special with friendlies. It does currently work with thing_hate, though.
  • maxheardist does not play well with the old sound target handling code. If the compat option is on and you fire in the sector the monster is in, it will wake up if you come within hearing distance of the monster, regardless of your visibility or whether you made another sound or not afterward (since the sound target is assigned to the sector rather than the actor). I'm not exactly sure how to fix this.
  • For some reason my general sanity checks for the parameters were causing the code not to work as expected, so I had to remove them. As a result it is feasable to pass it entirely invalid values which will cause unpredictable behavior or possible crashes. I'll try fixing this once I figure out what's making them not work.
Also, was the submission for A_ClearTarget added?

[edit]D'oh! Just answered my own question by looking at the details of the changelog (Thanks randy!). [wiki]A_ClearTarget[/wiki] has been added.
Risen

Post by Risen »

SnowKate709 wrote:Hmm, actually that should be easy since I already have an idea of what to do. Give me a bit and I'll get right to it. I wouldn't have minded if you made the bump in the appropriate thread, though. Heh.
Awesome. A large part of my current project is at a standstill for want of a Line-of-sight ACS function.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”