[Not ZDoom] [2.1.7.] Viruses Found in Three Different Source Ports...

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[2.1.7.] Viruses Found in Three Different Source Ports...

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 pm

So, anyone what to explain why my ZDoom, GZDoom, and Skulltag folders seem to have viruses? :?:

Note that this is occuring on my father's computer too. While the source ports are infected, Doom Builder and my downloaded maps aren't. :?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:
Nuke em
Enter... The Fray. Don't forget to melee!

Postby TheDarkArchon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Your virus scanner is broken.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Re: [2.1.7.] Viruses Found in Three Different Source Ports..

Postby Marcus101RR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:55 pm

Nuke em wrote:So, anyone what to explain why my ZDoom, GZDoom, and Skulltag folders seem to have viruses? :?:

Note that this is occuring on my father's computer too. While the source ports are infected, Doom Builder and my downloaded maps aren't. :?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

This has been proven many times, There are indeed dll's that mess with the operating system. ZDoom fixed that along time ago, I am guessing you still have an older zdoom?

As for skulltag, that has been long said before, Skulltag indeed has a virus, although its not an intentional one. Its just this fmod.dll causes some of system32 dll drivers to go corrupt upon each other.

GZdoom i believe was fixed at the same time as zdoom.
Marcus101RR

Discord: Marcus101RR#0623
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Okay, so what exactly does it mess with, and why then is it appearing on 2.1.7 (The latest build)? :?

@TDA: No, I'm afraid not. My virus scanner works just fine, I've cornered plenty of viruses with it.
Nuke em

Postby Marcus101RR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Nuke em wrote:Okay, so what exactly does it mess with, and why then is it appearing on 2.1.7 (The latest build)? :?

@TDA: No, I'm afraid not. My virus scanner works just fine, I've cornered plenty of viruses with it.

Tell your program to ignore ZDoom, and GZDOOm fmod.dll. What I suggest is you prevent fmod.dll from accessing any other DLLs in your System32 folder or system folder depending on your OS.

There is a program, but I don't know what its called. I use it all the time, now my virus scanners do not attack it.
Marcus101RR

Discord: Marcus101RR#0623
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Guest7807 wrote:
Nuke em wrote:Okay, so what exactly does it mess with, and why then is it appearing on 2.1.7 (The latest build)? :?

Tell your program to ignore ZDoom, and GZDOOm fmod.dll. What I suggest is you prevent fmod.dll from accessing any other DLLs in your System32 folder or system folder depending on your OS.

There is a program, but I don't know what its called. I use it all the time, now my virus scanners do not attack it.

What then, might I ask, is the point of having a virus scanner if you dis-allow it from finding said viruses?

Personally, I love playing doom maps in ZDoom format, but if my computer's OS and/or Hard drive(s) is/are at stake, I'd rather not take the risk. It isn't fun spending an afternoon wiping and re-installing Windows on a 250GB hard drive. :roll:

Maybe Randy needs to have a look at this?
Nuke em

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Is that AVG Free?

My AVF Free isn't reporting such things and I've updated all of the components.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby TheDarkArchon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Nuke em wrote:@TDA: No, I'm afraid not. My virus scanner works just fine, I've cornered plenty of viruses with it.

Given the evidence that there's a lot of people who use ZDoom that DON'T get malware warnings, the evidence points to your virus scanner.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Nash wrote:Is that AVG Free?

My AVF Free isn't reporting such things and I've updated all of the components.

Yes, nice guess.

Huh, that's strange, it's a file that comes with each port. Also, only after I re-connected to my LAN (Local Area Network) this morning and update AGV, did it appear. Over the last 6 weeks I've scanned my computer dozens of times, and it never came up. Whatever it is, it either just activated today, or was found by someone and added to this morning's update. Remember: This is also occuring on my father's computer.
Nuke em

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:36 pm

TheDarkArchon wrote:
Nuke em wrote:@TDA: No, I'm afraid not. My virus scanner works just fine, I've cornered plenty of viruses with it.

Given the evidence that there's a lot of people who use ZDoom that DON'T get malware warnings, the evidence points to your virus scanner.

And I quote myself,

Note that this is occuring on my father's computer too.

Okay, need anymore proof that it's not my scanner?
Nuke em

Postby TheDarkArchon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:37 pm

That's 2 out of hundreds (thousands?) of ZDoom users
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Nuke em » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:43 pm

@Nash:
If I were you, I'd check for updates on AVG, and then scan you Doom Source port files. TDA's arguement barely holds, because it's too much of a coincidence that both my father's and my scanner would find it in the same hour of the same day of the same month of the same year. Two out of thousands count for a lot when one is talking about two computers that were update and found the viruses in the last hour. :x
Nuke em

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:45 pm

Has it ever occurred to you that you and your father's computer are infected with a virus from something else instead? Like maybe you inserted some MP3 player or thumbdrive with a virus installed on them?

You're being way too paranoid. With the exception of Skulltag, GZDoom and ZDoom's sources are freely available and anyone can check. There's no virus or any malicious code or any nonsense like that.
Nash

Postby Project Dark Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm

PC-Cillin did not pick up any viruses on any version of ZDoom I had (GZD and SkullTag included).
As Nash stated earlier, I think you need to check your hardware carefully, and probably your software, too. There's nothing wrong with the files, and if there even is, why don't you try ew-installing those files anyway? It's not that hard.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:55 pm

Okay I just did a scan of my Doom folder and it does pick up Generic5.JMY in fmod.dll. But that's all. I wouldn't worry about it because, as I've said, there's nothing in the source that even resembles malicious code.

If there's something that needs to be fixed it would have to be on fmod's end.
Nash

Next

Return to Closed Bugs