A musical idea

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
The Ultimate DooMer

A musical idea

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

How about adding a special that can speed up/slow down the music? (midi and other) It would be quite amusing, but useful in some cases, too.

If it's do-able of course...
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

...and of course... don't forget fades between ogg and mp3 music... it would sound so much more seemless if we could fade between two tracks... at least for me it would :-D.

:twisted:
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: A musical idea

Post by Hirogen2 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:How about adding a special that can speed up/slow down the music? (midi and other) It would be quite amusing, but useful in some cases, too.

If it's do-able of course...
It is doable in some kind of way. Afaik, one can jump to a specific order/pattern in a Tracker file (with ACS). Just put a Speed command at that pattern and let the Tracker File jump to the normal music.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

You'd need to set up some synchronization script to make it seamless, though. You'd need to figure the tempo, keep track of how long the music plays, and make the music change command delay until a time where it would sound good.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ultraviolet wrote:You'd need to set up some synchronization script to make it seamless, though. You'd need to figure the tempo, keep track of how long the music plays, and make the music change command delay until a time where it would sound good.
Ouch.
With me being a tracker and all, that sounds kind of complex. I am currently working on a WAD that includes music by myself in s3m format, and i'm gonna make it so that on map06, when you encounter the boss, it will jump to a different pattern in the song that has boss music. I sure hope I don't have to do too much to get it to work, though. (I'm new to ACS, BTW.)
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Nah, if you want to change music "completely" like Nintendo games,
use the setmusic (dunno the ACS command) command with another track, i.e.
setmusic("BOSS");.
Concerning the speed change:
One lump, "MUSIC" for example:
Order 0..x: notes..., jump 0
Order x+1: speedchange x2, jump 0
Order x+2: speedchange x0.5, jump 0
setmusic("MUSIC", x+1);
setmusic("MUSIC", x+2);
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

As long as it can speed up the music from it's current position for 30 seconds and revert to normal speed afterwards from it's current position (like the Sonic speed monitor) , it'll do for me.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The ACS Command for changing music is

Code: Select all

setmusic (str song, opt int pattern); 
where str song is the name of the song in the wadfile (eg. D_RUNNIN, MOD04, or anything you want for that matter) and the opt int pattern is the pattern to start at if you're using MOD format.
The level 6 music is defined as MOD06 in the WAD. The Boss Music is actually in the same song. Orders 0-5 are the music before you meet the boss. Order 5 loops back to order 2, so that part of the song loops. Orders 6-24 are the boss music and 24 loops back to 15 and so on. So i believe that the correct command should be

Code: Select all

setmusic (MAP06, 6); 
to activate the boss music. As for the changing speed thing, just make a mod file, and include certain patterns that change the speed of the song.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

That's it.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Issue is, though, you don't want it to jump to another pattern just as another one has started. It'll be such an obvious gap, a breach of continuity... The purpose of the synchronization script I was talking about would be to at least make it fit the beat.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

Lexus Alyus wrote:...and of course... don't forget fades between ogg and mp3 music... it would sound so much more seemless if we could fade between two tracks... at least for me it would :-D.
It would be neat, but Ogg Vorbis is a better format than MP3. Vorbis sounds better and is open-source, so Vorbis doesn't have intellectual property restrictions to get in the way. And Vorbis doesn't just try to sound better, it tries to do things fundamentally better in all the ways that it can. In fact, I have very few MP3s on my computer because of Ogg Vorbis.

On topic however, the MP3s or Vorbis files would be too big to use in a wad file, and Ultimate Doomer would want to make sure he keeps Super Sonic Doom a very reasonable size.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

He didn't mean fading between an MP3 and an OGG, he meant fading between any two songs that happen to be either format.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

the speeding music might be helpful for implementing tyrian2k music.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:On topic however, the MP3s or Vorbis files would be too big to use in a wad file, and Ultimate Doomer would want to make sure he keeps Super Sonic Doom a very reasonable size.
Even if the oggencoder (for linux) is somehow limitied to 48kbps (you can't go down more), files are small enough, like ~700KB for 2 minutes.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Ogg Vorbis is a lossy form of compression, i.e. not 100% accurate. MP3 is a lossless form. So, I don't know where you get off saying .ogg sounds better. :?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”