[Fixed] Small Boom incompatabilities

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49066
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

I never said it has to be done. I fully agree that right now there is really no need to do so. I merely made a suggestion how it could be done if Randy wants to. Nothing more. But once this feature is used in a WAD you can bet that others will copy it. And if this is really required to br implementes for something to work I'd just prefer a more general solution that is not map format specific, that's all.
Cyb
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:12 pm

Post by Cyb »

I don't think it's really necessary to fix it since it's never been used before, at least not in any wads I can recall. If Mord sticks with Eternity it won't matter (unless randy wants eternity support in zdoom ; ) and if he switches then it's not really necessary to fix since you can create the same effect with scripting, plus I believe zdoom allows you to use any thing as a teleport destination, so you could even mess with a random decoration and use that.

I'm also disappointed that rl hasn't pointed out that there's no way Mordeth could have changed the teleport destination to be "all-cyan" ; )

edit: tho graf brings up a good point of the possibility of it being used in vanilla or boom maps in the future
User avatar
randomlag
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm

Post by randomlag »

Cyb wrote:I'm also disappointed that rl hasn't pointed out that there's no way Mordeth could have changed the teleport destination to be "all-cyan" ; )
Lol - Just a note Mr Watson that your post is a clear case of trolling. They must have different rules in NY on what this sort of petty behavior means. And of course it can be "all-cyan" :)

What I clearly referred to applies only to the DOOM format, not HEXEN format. IOW, the user does not have access to more attributes or scripting. Not everyone likes to use the HEXEN format when editing.

As to whether is has been used before or not - silly argument. Isn't that what this forum is all about - presenting NEW ideas?

Doing this in HEXEN format (vs scripting) is a much simpler solution too. As I said before, no need for more args since that's an artificial condition that doesn't exist. And as noted, other methods exist for HEXEN format levels.

If you approach every single new idea with the concept of "general solutions", then nothing ever gets done (or it takes too long). WFDS is a good example. KISS wins every single time over complexity. There's always another day to make it more complicated. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that stuff.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49066
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

randomlag wrote: Doing this in HEXEN format (vs scripting) is a much simpler solution too. As I said before, no need for more args since that's an artificial condition that doesn't exist. And as noted, other methods exist for HEXEN format levels.

If you approach every single new idea with the concept of "general solutions", then nothing ever gets done (or it takes too long). WFDS is a good example. KISS wins every single time over complexity. There's always another day to make it more complicated. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that stuff.

There we are again...

Ok, if you approach this problem from a purely theoretical standpoint you are right. There are better ways to do stuff like that in Hexen format. But: What if someone comes up with some crazy idea nobody has thought of before that can NOT be done? (as Mordeth effectively proved!) That's what I mean with 'unnecessarily limiting options'. There is no need to do so, my suggestion won't things more complicated because you can safely ignore it if you don't want to use them. The major difference is: if somebody WANTS to use them he CAN! With your approach he can't and in my book that counts as poor planning.

It's the same with many gamemode dependent behavioral differences in ZDoom: some of them just drive me crazy because I can't achieve what I want without some major workarounds. One good example of this are fast crushers: They work fine in Hexen mode but are utterly useless in Doom and I have to use some really ugly things to get what I want.

As a result of those experiences I generally advocate a solution that keeps all options open as long as it doesn't mean major additional work. Clearly that's the case here.
User avatar
HotWax
Posts: 10002
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:18 pm
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Post by HotWax »

Gee it's a good thing we have RL here so we know exactly what is and isn't trolling -- even though he trolls more often than any other poster on these boards and doesn't seem to realise it . . .
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
Posts: 7746
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:30 pm

Post by randi »

Mordeth incompatibility (1): I lied. All the Door_* specials now have an additional parameter that serves as the lighttag. This means you can also make the BOOM light effect work on "remote" doors if you wish, since the door tag and the light tag are two distinct parameters.

Mordeth incompatibility (2): I added a second parameter to Teleport, which is the sector tag. If the tid is zero and the tag is non-zero, the old (and hideously inefficient) Doom search method is used. If the tid and tag are both non-zero, then only teleport destinations with a matching tid in a matching sector are used.

If larsboy finds the cause of his second problem, please post a new bug report instead of replying here.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49066
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

randy wrote: Mordeth incompatibility (2): I added a second parameter to Teleport, which is the sector tag. If the tid is zero and the tag is non-zero, the old (and hideously inefficient) Doom search method is used. If the tid and tag are both non-zero, then only teleport destinations with a matching tid in a matching sector are used.

Hey, that's even better than anything I had in mind. Now let's find a way to use this effectively! ;)
Cyb
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:12 pm

Post by Cyb »

randomlag wrote:Lol - Just a note Mr Watson that your post is a clear case of trolling. They must have different rules in NY on what this sort of petty behavior means. And of course it can be "all-cyan" :)
you disappoint me, Mr Vermeulen from WA : P

surely trolling of ones forum hero is allowed in WA, because it was recently made law here in NY
randy wrote:If larsboy finds the cause of his second problem, please post a new bug report instead of replying here.
I agree, I've prolly just sent this thread into a downward spiral, apologies

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”