[Won't change] Weapon firing

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

I would say the uncapped fps is a pretty radical change :P Although I suppose it has a minimal effect on the actual gameplay.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

SargeBaldy wrote:Although I suppose it has a minimal effect on the actual gameplay.
Exactly that! And that's the only thing that matters. A change that improves things without altering the gameplay is fine but intentionally removing explicitly coded behavior is always bad.
Biff

Post by Biff »

mivlad wrote:So when you and your opponent run around each other with super shotguns you click and click and click?
Yes, usually just so. My opponents are generally evasive and I usually do better by achieving aim by a combination of mouse turning and strafing, then firing as the crosshair moves over the target. However, I also remember playing laggy games in shotgun arenas where I did essentially hold the trigger down and just try to time my aiming moves with the shotgun refire rate. Probably do some of every technique as the situation seems to call for.

mivlad wrote:Weapons should not switch on pickup.
That's simply a valid opinion, not a fast rule. I've played both ways and found in the end that, for the wads I like to play, I prefer automatic switching. For me, with wads which don't have weapons just sprinkled about and in the way, that's my preference and it's probably due to all the time I spent playing with doom2.exe....I'm used to that behavior and try to use it to advantage. Fortunately, this behavior is a zdoom option.
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Gotta learn to check before posting.

Okay, checked with v1.9 and Randy is right for the most part. What seems different to me is the margin of error you get when accidentally firing before the weapon is completely up. What I mean is trying to time it so you press the fire key right when the weapon is up but pressing a little too early. If pressed before the new weapon is raised, v1.9 will not fire the rocket launcher or BFG unless the player fires at some point after the new weapon has started to raise. I'm not certain of what point it is, but it is at least after the new weapon starts to come up. In other words, holding the fire button down while switching to those two weapons will not cause them to fire when they are ready, but it does seem to give a little bit of leeway if you accidentally press the fire button a little before the weapons are completely raised and ready. ZDoom seems to not give any leeway and will not fire until the key is pressed after the weapon is completely up and ready.

EDIT: One other thing I noticed in v1.9, if you are holding the fire key down while the weapon switch key is pressed, you don't get any leeway on firing too early with those two weapons. If the switch is done after the fire button is released then you do get some leeway if you fire too early. No leeway regardless of this in ZDoom.
Last edited by Kuroshi on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mivlad

Post by mivlad »

Well, to conclude this topic...

It seems nobody else is interested in a compatibility option for this. Anyways it could help in situations when, say, you run away backwards from your opponent firing something constantly on him (holding fire button) and then switch to rocket launcher to rip off his legs... And now it does not fire until you re-press the button losing so-important (in this case) milliseconds :)

I think this check purpose is to prevent accidental suicide when you pick up the rocket launcher and it switches on automatically... And when the autoswitch is off there's almost no point (for me, at least) in this check.

However, if there's so little need for this feature I won't ask for this any more. May be I'll code it myself sometimes and send patch to Randy for him to consider including it.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”