55.CAB!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Chilvence

55.CAB!

Post by Chilvence »

No ones said it yet, so.... go get it!

And more Strife stuff! A lot cleaner than mine again ;)
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Hory clap!
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I see that 54.cab was short lived...

Man, this is looking good; Strife support (maybe) and then after that... a fully stable version! (Come on, what more needs doing? This has been in the process for like 4 years now!).

:twisted:
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Lexus Alyus wrote:what more needs doing?
truecolor and doomscript.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Randy was trying to get all the bugs fixed a short while ago in preparation for 2.1.0, but there's always another feature that would just make ZDoom r0x0r even more. I would humbly suggest that Randy implement a feature freeze and concentrate on getting all those bugs fixed again so we can actually have a "non-beta" version out there. That way TNT would have a solid release to base Daedalus on and either Randy or someone else could sit down and write up some up-to-date documentation for that release.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

i can only assume that the "new stable release version" will be 3.0?
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

I don't see how truecolor could be implemented in a game that has 256 color textures. Then again, I don't understand much about this stuff, so someone explain.
And what's the hype about doom script? What is it and what is it supposed to do? An ACS alternative?
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

Ever noticed how red turns to brown at a distance? Or the very limited purple turns to gray at a distance? True color would fix that. Also, it would allow for editors to use any colors they wanted.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

So, Doom palette - no more? That would on one hand be cool and would provide mappers and designers with new grounds for development and improvement. But on the other hand, it would be sad to lose those old kind of ugly colors :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The biggest problem with True Color would not be the implementation. This stuff is really simple because all you have to do is adjust the rendering functions form 8 to 16 or 32 bits and expand all the color translation tables accordingly. The big problem will be performance. Even as it is on my AthlonXP 2000 the current ZDoom version rarely goes over 80 Hz and in some really complex areas (e.g. Phobos: Anomaly Reborn E1M6 starting area) goes down to about 17 Hz in 1280x960. This would mean such a level would be barely playable in 640x480 in True color. It'd be nice but don't be surprised if you can't use it.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

If you get horrible slow dows at high resolutrions why don't you just go down a few resolutions? I've always used 800x600 or whatever it is... but I reckon Doom scripot is something for the next version. I think randy should implement Truecolour and get strife working (untill he's happy with it :-) ) and then iron out all the bugs and there ya go, it's done... then work on Doomsacriot. 2.0.55 has had so many changes since the last release... I think it's had all the great new features added, and it's almost ready for release.

:twisted:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I was just quoting an example. At 1280x960 ZDoom is totally unplayable on my system if I want to play larger levels but as it is 4 times the screen data than 640x480 I think those values have some meaning for a true color version.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Errr... my XP 2000 ran it alot faster than the numbers you're quoting. I could typically run a WAD at 1600x1200 and it would be playable, though there would be choppy areas if the map was especially detailed. I never tried P:AR on it though. It still alarms me to hear you say that ZDoom is totally unplayable at 1280x960... That was the resolution I used normally...

As far as the benefits of TrueColor, everything would "start out" being seen at the same color as its original Doom palette-counterpart. So textures would look the same as you're used to. But, as that texture's colors are manipulated, by light level, by colored lighting, by fog, etc, they would be modified using full 24-bit color, and would look much much better than they do now. No more gray underwater areas just because the Doom palette runs out of blues. Transparencies would also look much better as they don't have to be blended into the Doom palette.

But, as I said, I think this and every other new feature should be put on hold until a stable version is released.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

HotWax wrote:Errr... my XP 2000 ran it alot faster than the numbers you're quoting. I could typically run a WAD at 1600x1200 and it would be playable, though there would be choppy areas if the map was especially detailed. I never tried P:AR on it though. It still alarms me to hear you say that ZDoom is totally unplayable at 1280x960... That was the resolution I used normally...

Sure, 17 fps was the most heavily detailed area in E1M6 of P:AR. The problem with other stuff is that the frame rate is totally inconsistent which makes it choppy. At 1024x768 I normally don't have problems and the game runs with an average of 50-70 fps. I don't know whether ZDoom is at fault (I don't believe so) or some f*cked up configuration. After installing a lot of stuff on my computer for Java development (God, I hate that language!) its performance has suffered drastically.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

HotWax wrote:But, as I said, I think this and every other new feature should be put on hold until a stable version is released.
I think working on ZDoom should be completely put on hold until the documentation is updated.

Return to “General”