Better bot AI

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

Randy if you implement monster sight calculation and give all the monsters some initial sight value changable and accessable by scripts and give all the actors (including players) a visibility value also accessable by scripts and include this factor in the sight calculation, then we can make fully incorporated stealth based scenarios for levels, with cloak devices, or rpg elements with stealth skill that may be improved ...

You can also add footstep sounds and use them to alram monsters if the players tun (not walk) also affected by terrain properties.

O.K. enough on this stealth thingy.

P.S. I know most of hell monsters should not be intelligent, but what about mods that change monsters or mod scenarios of fights between hell minions and intelligent marines...
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

Well if the monsters have a Current_Mission property that shows their current mission, like:
  1. None
  2. Heard a sound and went to investigate
  3. Saw an enemy
  4. Other missions...
And if we send the monsters to our self-made missions we can set the value ourselves by a funcion like Actor_SetMission, and whenever a monster finishes the mission or fails in it, then it sets the Last_Mission to it and then clears the current mission.

In Mission Failed Specials we can access the Last_Mission value and do actions accordingly, like printing a message of "Oh, I tought I saw someone here." and then return the monster to its previous post.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

randy wrote:Sounds like a lot of work to me. I doubt I would be able to use much, if any of the existing bot code to do what you're asking.
Who says you? Looks like Sphagne wants to write the new AI functions for us :D
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

No kidding.

Except that there should be an option that monsters should NOT be intelligent; technichally they are cannon fodder >:-]

Post by Guest »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:No kidding.

Except that there should be an option that monsters should NOT be intelligent; technichally they are cannon fodder >:-]
Draw some imp sprites with a beer bottle and when that option is turned on, they shall drink and wank! :wink:
Mighty Duck X-treme

Anonymous wrote:Draw some imp sprites with a beer bottle and when that option is turned on, they shall drink and wank! :wink:
LOL

I could draw those
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Draw some imp sprites with a beer bottle and when that option is turned on, they shall drink and wank! :wink:
LOL
I could draw those
Was my post. Damn autologin doesnot quite work. Anyway:
and randomly, they just fall (+die). :-)
Mighty Duck X-treme

When I have the time, they will be only in gif. animations.

If that's not what you meant, just forget it
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:When I have the time, they will be only in gif. animations.

If that's not what you meant, just forget it
If GIF or Doom frames, I'd like to see that fun.
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

You know, the monsters would be as intelligent or as dumb as the designers want them to be, with the exception that they would know their ways around the levels and would not be lost in the way or stuck behind the obstackes.

They would have different IQ numbers: i.e. Archviles would have IQ of 150 but Demons would have IQ of 30 for instance.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Heh, how much IQ would Zombieman, Imps, Cybs and Spiders have? And even the "ScriptedMarine" ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The spidermastermind must have a pretty high IQ :D
Mighty Duck X-treme

--SPAM--
Last edited by Mighty Duck X-treme on Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

If every mobj can have an IQ (in theory for now since there is no such feature), a Revenant Missile has the most.
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

The IQ number would be checked by the route special scripts and then they would command the monsters to do different jobs depending on their IQs, (all the designer`s jobs to imply inteligence), like calling an elevator or crashing the opponent by switching a control panel...

For lower IQs the designers can tell the monsters to find a way to their enemies and attack them from near, like current monsters.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”