Editing the (tomatoe) source

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Lexus Alyus

Editing the (tomatoe) source

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Okay, I've decided to ghet my hands dirty and delve deep inmto the Zdoom source :-D. I've got a freeware C++ language, so i'm gonna see if that works. Failing that, is there any other freeware C++ compilers out there?

Also, i'm gonna attemt to merge the super cool renderer of Doomsday to Zdoom... then my port will look good and have full ACS and all that :-D. Is that possible? If I can get some GL version of Zdoom working I'm gonna implement real lighting, so my levels will look as good as most modern games :-D.

Just out of cureosity, Randy, why havn't you made Zdoom into a gl port? (I know Zdoom GL exusts, but why not just add the support into Zdoom itself?).

:twisted:
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Heh, youre brave. Im limiting myself to just adding actors and weapons :D
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Mmm, I've become increasingly lazy, can't figure out how to work that dev thing...
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

What are you stuck on? I can probably get you up to as far as I got, but no further. You'll have to ask Randy if you end up with the same problem I had, because I never worked it out.

Anyway, you have FMOD and the directX SDK's yes?
GameArena
Location: Outside of a bubble... Looking at all the humans inside.

Post by GameArena »

Heh, you can't just dive into the source and start adding new rendering methods, it looks as though you haven't had previous C++ experience (I'm just assuming from your post), there is a reason everygame out there doesn't look as good as Splinter Cell, it takes great programming skill to complete such tasks, and commonly a handful of people. I wish you luck, but don't get your plan expectations too high, because I think you'll find it's much more of a tedious process than you think.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Holy dyed wombats!
Zdoom must not be GL-ed! That'd be an utter and unspeakable evil!
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

It already has been... with good results I might add
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Mmm, this doesn't belong here at all, but I don't care! :-D

When I run Zdoom gl (the .74 version that is compatible with .47 cab) it works and looks great, then I move and I'm surounded by sky... what gives? It happened before too, so I'm gonna say it's a bug in Zdoomgl because my computer has considerably chganged since the last time I ran it... Damn sky...

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This was a bug reported a few times - I think you'll find the solution on the doomworld ZdoomGL forum (can't check ATM). It was something the user could fix easily enough by changing a variable at the console.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Thanx, but I'll wait untill the next release of ZDGL comes out. Should be better... I think the old Zdoomgl was cool, especially that ZanZan TC, it completely transformed the feel, yet it was still doom :-). Im eagerly awaiting model support in the new Zdoom, then my mods will look the biz (I'm gonna try and do custom models, it will look great for ROTGS3... got that planned a bit even though ROTGS2 is far from finished :-).). I think ROTGS3 will be quite epic if they shove MD2 support in the most recent ZDGL :-).

Curunir

Post by Curunir »

/me bashes random people who speak in defence of ZdoomGL! :P
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I'm random, I speak in defence of ZdoomGL, B4SH /\/\3!!!!!!!!!!111111

/\ /\
></
* |
II/

Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

Use a CODE block for fixed font stuff.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

When in Fixed Width, this:

Code: Select all

/\ /\
></
* |
II/ 
looks like an angry Leprechaun with a scythe/axe in one hand to me :shock:
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

The new ZDoomGL is much much better than the old version, and I would submit that discussion about it does too belong here. BUT...

No, ZDoom does NOT need OpenGL built in. ZDoom is Randy's baby. Randy doesn't want to do OpenGL, that's his business. Anyone is free to take the source and add support, as Timmie has done. There's nothing wrong with this setup at all. If you don't want OpenGL, get ZDoom. If you can't live without it, get ZDoomGL. Is that really so hard?

Return to “General”