[MAPINFO] noautosave

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ace

[MAPINFO] noautosave

Post by ace »

Sometime's it's not a good thing to have it save automatically at the beginning of the map when you don't want them to. Autosaves clutter space of course, but it's not good for cases when you have an intermission or ending map that just displays a cutscene or message, etc. So having something like this would come in handy for those types of maps.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

You know you can limit the amount of autosaves, right?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Whether or not the game automatically saves when it's told to should be the player's choice, not the author's. Perhaps the player had auto-saved at the beginning of an intermission map and then left the WAD alone for a couple of months, then wants to pick up where he left off - but he has forgotten what's happened in the storyline, so he loads the auto-save at the intermission map.
ace

Post by ace »

Bashe wrote:You know you can limit the amount of autosaves, right?
How?
wildweasel wrote:Whether or not the game automatically saves when it's told to should be the player's choice, not the author's. Perhaps the player had auto-saved at the beginning of an intermission map and then left the WAD alone for a couple of months, then wants to pick up where he left off - but he has forgotten what's happened in the storyline, so he loads the auto-save at the intermission map.
Okay, but there can still be reason to have this. For an example, ending maps. I doubt that most Doomers would "quit for a few months" at the very last level. Most likely, they'd just watch/read the last bit then leave it at that. I can't think who would just leave it sitting after they've beaten the last level and decide to wait to see what happens. And I'm sure there would be other ways to have this.

And after all, normally the player would see that it said "Autosaving," so if the message didn't pop up they could always quick-save if they really wanted to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

wildweasel wrote:Whether or not the game automatically saves when it's told to should be the player's choice, not the author's.

There's nothing more to say.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

To change the number of autosaves, open up the zdoom.ini, look for autosavecount=* and simply change the number.
ace

Post by ace »

Bashe wrote:To change the number of autosaves, open up the zdoom.ini, look for autosavecount=* and simply change the number.
Thanks. That'll help for when I'm playing because I really just don't like autosaves on the whole. But unfortunately I guess I can't force people to do that... Oh well.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

You can turn autosaves off altogether, too, incase you didn't know.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

wildweasel wrote:Whether or not the game automatically saves when it's told to should be the player's choice, not the author's.
While this is true, you can't save in alot of games these days. Could you save on goldeneye while trying to get the invincible cheat on the facility level? No. (Although I wish you bloody well could)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

cutmanmike wrote:
While this is true, you can't save in alot of games these days. Could you save on goldeneye while trying to get the invincible cheat on the facility level? No. (Although I wish you bloody well could)
That's a large difference - in console games, at least console games of those days, there was a limitation on the amount of memory they could use (as well as the time it'd take to save the game to a memory card). This was their way of cutting corners.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

cutmanmike wrote:(Although I wish you bloody well could)
Reason enough not to disallow it in Doom mods.

My time, my computer, my fun. If I want to "ruin" a mod by saving before every door I open, let me. It doesn't hurt anyone else.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I do save before every door I open on some of the seriously hard wads I have. Though that may be because I'm not the best player in the world...

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”