Statement regarding Marisa the Magician (aka Marisa Kirisame)

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
TonynUBares

Re: Statement regarding Marisa the Magician (aka Marisa Kirisame)

Post by TonynUBares »

Hello all,
very-recently (5 minutes ago when I started writing) reactivated user here, basically a no one that joined the community in 2020 due to quarantine boredom and mainly focuses on a Complex Doom addon.

A few premises that I hope won't cause any issue. I know exactly who I'm targeting with this:
1) Hello farmers, don't bother screenshotting this, I don't like to be screenshotted :)
2) @[bigotry] banned comrade, sorry but Russian Overkill works way way better with Clusterfuck monsters XD
3) @banned "you know who you are": you can keep saying until year 2525 that your friend is easy to manipulate, but accept the fact that that doesn't justify "uwu shota balls"-like reactions. Do you think she has nothing to do/ask/want with/to/from children? Ok, so then you must realize that the problem is a possible bipolar disorder, because none of us "sane-minded" would ever reacted like that to such a disgusting thing. I myself would never have my mouth water in front of pizza made of actual shit; if I ever do that, while jokingly calling myself a food gourmet, then I'd check if I have a wood chip stuck in my brain. Was all this a super secret plan of some transphobes against Marisa and she is not what she's been banned for? Ok, bring me CONCRETE PROVES, like a paper from a psychiatrist telling us all that those reactions happened during a non normal state of mind, because the easy-to-manipulate excuse justifies a bunch of things, but not all of them. Mind that even people that are in such a mental state and can't fully understand what they are doing in that moment are supposed to pay if they commit a crime, otherwise I could just train myself to commit murders while sleepwalking et voilà. [edited to add a last sentence here]

Done with premises.

Let me start saying I mostly agree with what Krakken said about losing a bit/lot of esteem in the Zdoom staff. Even tho I will continue "bullying" some of them whenever I need ZScript advices, it would be hard for long time to see them again as normally fair people... not a nice thing.
I'd like yall to realize that even for people that "live" in the niche of a niche of this community (with enough known drama already), this whole situation was quite shocking. Even more so, because it was brought to light from a random, for me that I didn't know who Marty was, video. So, sorry to disagree with the head of the heads in person, Graf, but that video was necessary, because from the other side there was no intention to come clear and clarify the situation with "us plebs". I know it feels like it's an exaggeration because those types of videos are done in a way that the speaker can easily convince the 99% of the viewers, exception made for who parties Marisa apparently, that he's 100% right and admins are 100% wrong. That might not be completely true, but you can't seriously talk as if Marty is less than 90% right here, maybe only because it created "drama".

I understand that when it comes to such accusations to a friend, or someone who is seen as a community pillar, it's tough to detach from the first emotional reactions and do what's needed to be done, BUT since the admins are being responsible of a whole community, full of minors too, that's something you'd have to face sometimes, hopefully a very limited amount of times. Someone here before mentioned the line of his work and that applies to you too. As an example: a policeman is allowed to befriend a crime committer, because he can't know that at the first meeting, but the same policeman is not allowed to excuse, justify or protect that same friend if he knows he's committed a crime. That's the major mistake you tried to do with Marisa. She, as any other random user that could have been involved in those screenshots, should have been blocked and temporarily banned immediately, until investigation would have confirmed or confuted the thing. I know the risk is to create a tiny crack in your relationship with said person, but the risk of compromising the whole community is much bigger; (un)fortunately the logic would want you to choose the smaller risk every time. If the person, in this case Marisa, is clever enough, she would have understood your move in case you would have later found her to be completely innocent. Hard to be done, but has to be done all the times. Policemen risk their job for similar exceptions, as so should admins/mods. If you are unable to do this, I'm sorry to be caustic here, but the role is not for you.

Another major mistake is trying to apply the same rules differently to different people, because of whatever I don't care: that's called abuse of power. If I was the subject of those screenshot, I would have been perma-banned, without ANY chance to defend myself, to justify, to contextualize, to anything. I know also that every person that would have even dared defending me would have been muted/yeeted/banned almost instantly. This is one of the reasons I had a small discussion with Marcaek once for *insert random Complex Doom drama here*, that luckily solved in 0 time. That kind of behaviour really irritates me, because I'm a constant victim of power abuse, tho in real life, not on forums or discord servers. This wants to be another reminder to yall that this is a community: once you start applying rules only to some and not to yourselves and your friends, then you're looking for a sect, where whoever joins is going to be your personal yes-man. A community is made of a lot of different people with different opinions: one thing is to kick out "extremists", a different thing is to randomly ban whoever doesn't agree with you, and since this happened even inside the FunPolice, then "us plebs" are basically cannon fodder for some of the admins. The reason why the community has so many people is mainly the common passion for Doom and also because there are people that can appreciate gzdoom without having to really like the people behind it. Some people are inside small niches and servers and try to have nothing to do with any of the devs, so basically all this bs means nothing for them. I'm quite sure tho that it can't really last forever, because some people might take longer to get tired, but they will eventually end up migrating elsewhere.

Other thing: the anti-Rachel feeling is quite clear, there's no point to keep flooding this post repeating the same things against the same person (that might soon regret reactivating my account lol). She did mistakes, indeed, it's clear. I don't really know, except a few screenshots here and there, what happened to these actors being named randomly, like Carnevil, the skulltag guys, the realm667 guys etc... so I can't speak for any of them. I can only say this is another major problem: if Rachel has been the problem for many for so long (if I understood correctly, some of those events happened 5-10 years ago), this topic should have been talked WAY FUCKING BEFORE Marty's video. I know that a popular YT video is quite a strong weapon, but someone, specifically the same admins that are now somewhat convinced of Rachel bad behaviour, should have noticed this really long time ago. I can't do a witch hunt because I'm too new to the community to know old facts about old and current people, but try to think about how and what to do exacly. De-admin Rachel seems the right options for many, but do you also know what to do after? Who's gonna be in charge? Who's gonna be in charge of controlling Rachel's replacement? Who's gonna make sure that the replacement doesn't make the same mistakes? Rushing solutions would be as stupid as not doing anything, because if you don't know how to maintain the new after-Rachel reality, said solution is gonna fail too, maybe in one month or in 5 years, but it's gonna fail guaranteed. This wants to be more of a suggestion to all the people the wrote in this topic to try to come up, possibly together and unanimously (including Zandro and TSPG guys, why not) to a solution that can work. How exatly? I don't know. Call some expert forum administrators, copy someone elses (good) strategies, follow North Korea "very diplomatic" government example, whatever you could all agree. Considering that you have different ideas and opinions, a solution that makes everyone happy should be fine in theory.

Guess I spoke already too much.

@yum13241, you're wrong. The Electric Boogaloo is Skulltag 3; Skulltag 2 is "The Spread Rune's return".
...and I got my anti-climax too :D
Last edited by TonynUBares on Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Caligari87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:29 am I believe Rachael should step down from moderation.
  • Rachael, I've not been a fan of your moderation style for a long time. At first I thought you were just very strong-willed and passionate. Which is true and fine, but it's also become clear to me over the past few years on the team that you're somewhat vindictive and paranoid. The majority of your policy decisions stem from a place of "circling the wagons" and shoring up defenses against some hypothetical horde of bad actors who are constantly trying to undermine, infiltrate, and destroy us. That's probably true, but not nearly to the extent that you treat it as.
I do have to say that I agree with this message. Literally everything about the situation here came to my attention just yesterday due to real life happening and I've gotta admit that I feel largely blind-sided by it, especially considering I was an admin here (before yesterday, for reasons that are hopefully obvious) - the way this situation has been handled is frankly simply not the way you handle sexual misconduct cases, and I'm not comfortable being attached to it. With that said, the statement here does help - fault has at least been admitted - but after seeing the way Rachael and Candice have handled valid criticism of the statement, it very much does not inspire much trust in how they can handle things like this. Anger is a very valid response to a mishandled sexual misconduct scenario, and responding to criticism by calling someone a hypocrite (over shit that literally never remotely could be of the same seriousness level) and telling them to calm down is simply not an OK response. In my mind it very much hampers one idea that the statement tries to put forwards, which is that everyone involved does admit fault here. That makes me uncomfortable.
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

What is Plunderblund supposed to be? Fun Police 2?
Gutawer wrote: With that said, the statement here does help - fault has at least been admitted...
Gotta give credit where it's due.
Gutawer wrote: and responding to criticism by calling someone a hypocrite (over shit that literally never remotely could be of the same seriousness level) and telling them to calm down is simply not an OK response. In my mind it very much hampers one idea that the statement tries to put forwards, which is that everyone involved does admit fault here. That makes me uncomfortable.
Why wasn't this stated earlier?
TonynUBares wrote: @yum13241, you're wrong. The Electric Boogaloo is Skulltag 3; Skulltag 2 is "The Spread Rune's return".
...and I got my anti-climax too :D
Your version of Skulltag 2 is a no-go. Ask Graf :)
[/quote]

The thing I will probably miss the most from this forum is the "Scripting" section.

Since when could a non-red/green name be a "User Accounts Assistant"? I think that's a code word for "sane". I'm not saying anyone else is insane, obviously. If you think you're insane, see your doctor.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

yum13241 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:48 am What is Plunderblund supposed to be? Fun Police 2?
Plunderbund IIRC is/was a subforum/chatroom specifically for programmers to talk engine shit without dealing with non-coders chipping in. I don't know how successful it was, but I don't think it was moderation-related.
yum13241 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:48 am Since when could a non-red/green name be a "User Accounts Assistant"? I think that's a code word for "sane". I'm not saying anyone else is insane, obviously. If you think you're insane, see your doctor.
She hasn't changed her custom title since she quit.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

yum13241 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:48 am Why wasn't this stated earlier?
Not sure whether you mean me here, to be honest. I didn't state anything earlier because I only learnt about this yesterday.
yum13241 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:48 am Since when could a non-red/green name be a "User Accounts Assistant"? I think that's a code word for "sane". I'm not saying anyone else is insane, obviously. If you think you're insane, see your doctor.
They forgot to remove that subtitle when I asked to be demoted. It should be gone - that was my role when I was on the mod team. It actually wasn't a custom title and I couldn't change it, as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: as for plunderbund, yeah, it's just a role for an engine coding discussion forum.
Last edited by Gutawer on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muusi
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Muusi »

Pillowblaster's post was removed and then banned for saying that? Doesn't make sense to me.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

I'm a bit new to this community, I've been lurking, downloading mods and making occasional comments here and there since I was introduced to doom as a franchise in 2018, and then later found doom modding in 2020. I've also been reading Agent Ash's guide on zscript to hopefully join in on the modding one day. But all this... man it makes me think I should go find another hobby.

You know somethings wrong when even Graf himself comes in and agrees that mod staff should be changed around, and while I agree with him and Cali, I do want to mention that all these people are human here, I'm personally looking forward to Marisa's proper response because I have a hard time believing the allegations but, at the same time, it unfortunately looks pretty damning. I can see mods here on a war path but others seem mixed or conflicted which is totally understandable, I don't really have anything to add to this discussion and I'm really sorry about that. All I really want to point out is most staff here are all human and were a friend of Marisa, it can't be easy for any of them to find out this news. I mean c'mon, what would you think if a good friend of yours turned out to be a horrible person? My bet is totally mixed emotions for a good while until you make a decision, what ever that decision is, it's obviously a tough one.

This situation is so messy and just so, so unbelievably heart breaking to see. I have a hard time believing the community can heal after this but, I don't think it's impossible!
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Kinsie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:56 am
yum13241 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:48 am What is Plunderblund supposed to be? Fun Police 2?
Plunderbund IIRC is/was a subforum/chatroom specifically for programmers to talk engine shit without dealing with non-coders chipping in. I don't know how successful it was, but I don't think it was moderation-related.
Yes, exactly. It's a private forum for technical talk about development, where potential things can be discussed without bikeshedding and the peanut gallery ruining any possibility of useful technical discourse. It's got nothing to do with moderation and isn't even restricted to staff or being an official GZDoom dev- no idea about now but previously all you needed to get access was to have made contributions to GZDoom. No idea why the name, AFAIK it was created by randi so you'd have to ask her.

On the topic here, I personally agree with everything Tapwave and Eric have said. I wish I had more to say, but they've pretty much said everything I could.
The only thing I can add is it really pisses me off that even in such an extremely serious situation, some people are risking ruining everything by refusing to have any semblance of civility, and resorting to insulting even people they clearly otherwise agree with.
Muusi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:05 pm Pillowblaster's post was removed and then banned for saying that? Doesn't make sense to me.
To me it reads like it's implying some pretty transphobic shit :shrug: I was pretty shocked when I read it.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Zonky wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:13 pm I'm personally looking forward to Marisa's proper response ...
That's what mods have been waiting for, for like a month. It's just radio silence, as you can see. No point in waiting anymore.
phantombeta wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:30 pm To me it reads like it's implying some pretty transphobic shit I was pretty shocked when I read it.
I fail to see anything transphobic here. More like questioning the composition of moderation team and how it completely defies the statistics. And his ban "for bigotry" was a direct confirmation that something is very wrong here.
Last edited by cyber_cool on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

cyber_cool wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:47 pm I fail to see anything transphobic here. More like questioning the composition of moderation team and how it completely defines the statistics. And his ban "for bigotry" was a direct confirmation that something is very wrong here.
I think the issue is more how poorly worded it was. You really can't deny it sounds transphobic at first glance because of it. An immediate ban for it isn't a good look either, though.
(I do agree with what you're saying, if it wasn't clear)
Last edited by TDRR on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I myself feel the ban was unjustified. The ZDF air is harder to walk through without upsetting someone. But this is one of those cases where I cannot take action. Not because I'm afraid to, just can't do it.

I'll personally keep an eye on the forums for the next 9 hours during my work breaks.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

TonynUBares wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:28 am I can only say this is another major problem: if Rachel has been the problem for many for so long (if I understood correctly, some of those events happened 5-10 years ago), this topic should have been talked WAY FUCKING BEFORE Marty's video.
Only problem was that people were way too scared to talk about it before. I've known plenty of other individuals who had things to say about Rachael... both banned and not banned. The banned of course would never be able to reach out to Rachael, but the not banned would never be able to say such criticisms to Rachael's face because they were afraid Rachael would respond with a banishment...

... myself included.

I was of the more optimistic school of "oh Rachael's just passionate and strong-willed and strict". There was this one time we were discussing something offtopic (had something to do with fuel and environment), she apparently got angry, did something unsavory for a moment which I witnessed, and I confronted her about it. She relented, we said our pieces, and we resumed normal behavior. This was a time when I risked my account to speak out, and yet the account survived... so I thought positive change was at work here.

... I guess not. :(
Spoiler: Also, since we're talking about PillowBlaster...
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

This reminds me of the zophar's domain forum. I am impressed if any one of these can remain active for so many years without having an unfit moderator scandal.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

DoomKrakken wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:07 pm
Spoiler: Also, since we're talking about PillowBlaster...
Spoiler: response
SheilaVixen11454

Post by SheilaVixen11454 »

Hi, i've been asleep for 4 years and 19 days, what did i miss?

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”