What is this weird DoomEd number?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
AshHouswares
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

What is this weird DoomEd number?

Post by AshHouswares »

Weird stuff is happening in my game. What on Earth is causing this? Random items are spawning as "missing decorations" when I load up my map in my PK3. However, if I load it up with Vanilla Doom, it's not there. What on Earth is going on?

I opened the map in GZDOOMBuilder and they DoomEd Numbers of these weird items are 20003 and 20013. What are these and why are they all over my map?

https://i.postimg.cc/brpCR5ZW/wtfisthis.jpg
Kappes Buur

Re: What is this weird DoomEd number?

Post by Kappes Buur »

DoomED numbers are not weird, they are required to identify specific actors.
Actors are those identities such as players, monsters, weapons, decorations, etc.
A list of standard DoomED numbers can be found here.
Because they identify specific actors, these numbers must be unique.

Vanilla Doom uses these standard DoomED numbers, but GZDoom, with the help of DECORATE and/or ZSCRIPT, can bring new actors into the game. Thus, 20003 and 20013 identify such new actors. However, if there are no new or missing sprites attached to the actor or missing scripting then how can GZDoom display such actors. Therefore the exclamation sprite.

These numbers are entered into GZDoom in different ways:
In DECORATE they are usually given in the first line of the actor definition or possibly in a DoomEDnums block in MAPINFO.
In ZSCRIPT they must be entered in a DoomEDnums block in MAPINFO.

To help you make sense of these new actors and unravel your confusion, you will have to upload the pwad for perusal.

Return to “Scripting”