Is there a way to replace music in the forth episode? [Solved[

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
VVanTuz2OO2
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): many
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Is there a way to replace music in the forth episode? [Solved[

Post by VVanTuz2OO2 »

Hello everybody.

Every single track from first three episodes can be replaced, including the ones that are duplicates like "Demons On The Prey". But that's not the case with episode 4.

Episode 4 ignores E4M1, E4M2 and such lumps (is this how doom data in the wad called?) and using already existing ones, and more interestingly - chaotically. Like for example we all know that "Sign Of Evil" makes it first appearance in E1M8. But it also has a duplicate for E3M4. E4M1 plays the E3M4 lump instead of E1M8 which is already funny and ignores E4M1. And another Example. Each of the episodes used Demons On The Prey, having it first appearance in E1M7, but E4M8 uses E2M5 lump. And all of the music in episode built like this.

I had multiple covers for all of the episodes to make it more diverse, and not to listen to the same song in the same way, and this is how I have discovered it just because I had multiple versions of the same song while using map exmx cheat to warp. But I wish not to listen to the same covers during episode 4, so I this is why topic is created.

I have a working theory why this is happened. Episode 4 was made quicker than original Doom episodes were, no new songs were added, and instead of copying over the same songs they have just put the ones they listened from the list and thought was better for the level. Then pasted the code to make levels read those MUS files. There were no way back then to know if this is an original or duplicate so they picked those like E2M5 and E3M4. In that case with midi that wouldn't be any different.

I think what I need is some kind of code that I can put into a wad so the game will be forced to add new music lumps in episode 4. Or maybe another suggested way.

I'm using SLADE and that's the way the wad containing the music was built. Alll the files are named correctly in the way of "D_EXMX" where X's are number for an episode and a level.
Last edited by VVanTuz2OO2 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Re: Is there a way to replace music in the forth episode?

Post by Gez »

The ZDoom solution to this issue is to make yourself a small ZMAPINFO patch to redefine the Episode 4 maps to use separate music lumps.

You can find an already-made example of that in The Ultimate MIDI Pack. You can just copy the ZMAPINFO lump from there and put it in your own archive.
VVanTuz2OO2
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): many
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Is there a way to replace music in the forth episode?

Post by VVanTuz2OO2 »

Gez wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:14 pm The ZDoom solution to this issue is to make yourself a small ZMAPINFO patch to redefine the Episode 4 maps to use separate music lumps.

You can find an already-made example of that in The Ultimate MIDI Pack. You can just copy the ZMAPINFO lump from there and put it in your own archive.
Thank you very much. This is what I was trying to find! The topic is now closed.

Return to “Technical Issues”