Dual-Wielding weapons

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Dual-Wielding weapons

Post by Caligari87 »

Someone gave me this idea in relation to Haloguns2.wad and some other project.

Would it be possible to add support for the following flags / keybindings?
Spoiler: Flags
Spoiler: Keys
I'm no programmer, but this seems like it would be fairly straightforward, to me at least. The biggest problem would be if a weapon fires projectiles / railguns off-center, but code checks in those routines could reverse the important values, depending.

8-)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The biggest problem is that the entire game code assumes that the player can only hold one weapon. That alone makes it very non-straightforward to change.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Looks like you'd be very seriously fighting the system to implement that.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The biggest problem is that the entire game code assumes that the player can only hold one weapon. That alone makes it very non-straightforward to change.
Well, that sucks, to say the least of it. *sigh*

"Someday, somehow
Gonna make it all right
But not right now"

Nickelback, Someday

Yeah, someday, hopefully.

8-)

EDIT: I am a programmer, just not a very good one. And I only know Q-BASIC. :)
Zell

Post by Zell »

Didn't the old railgun.bex let you use two railgun shots from left and right? Just a thought.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

qbasic doesn't count as programming ;)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

[offtopic]I've got that song![/offtopic]

Can't you find a cheap hack version, like perhaps malking it so that you pick up the 'twin whatevers' which is actually just two sprites of the same gun or whatever.

The trick would be, that you use alt-fire to fire one gun's projectile, and the normal fire fires the other, therefore allowing faked seperate shots. What you couldn't do is fire both at the same time, unless you had a gun where normal fire fired just one, whilst alt-fire fired both. As a technicality you could use a script to tell when the player has two weapons. The script then gives the player the dual wield of it, as an example:

Player has SMG
Player then picks up a grenade launcher

Script knows this, and gives the player both weapons, plus the dual wield equivilant, perhaps in a special 'dual-wielding' slot?

normal fire utilises rapid fire SMG whilst altfire uses grenade launcher.

Hows that for a way round?
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

sounds cool! I approve of this idea!
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

All you'd have to do to utilise my suggestion is have some serious ACS and decorate skill. Then it should be easy ;)
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Graf Zahl wrote:The biggest problem is that the entire game code assumes that the player can only hold one weapon. That alone makes it very non-straightforward to change.
However, if you 'Duel Weild' weapons, that could just count as one weapon, thats right, to trick the .exe into thinking 2 guns = 1 gun. Though I'm not sure how to do this, I'll probably think of a way.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Phobus wrote:Can't you find a cheap hack version, like perhaps malking it so that you pick up the 'twin whatevers' which is actually just two sprites of the same gun or whatever.

The trick would be, that you use alt-fire to fire one gun's projectile, and the normal fire fires the other, therefore allowing faked seperate shots. What you couldn't do is fire both at the same time, unless you had a gun where normal fire fired just one, whilst alt-fire fired both. As a technicality you could use a script to tell when the player has two weapons. The script then gives the player the dual wield of it, as an example:

Player has SMG
Player then picks up a grenade launcher

Script knows this, and gives the player both weapons, plus the dual wield equivilant, perhaps in a special 'dual-wielding' slot?

normal fire utilises rapid fire SMG whilst altfire uses grenade launcher.

Hows that for a way round?
Great, except that it uses many duplicate sprites, and can't account for every possible combination without horrendous amounts of work. This was ment to be a flexable alternative to all that scripting and extra graphics, so that the player could use any two guns together.

8-)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, with enough work, or limited weapon numbers, it'd be nice and easy to account for every weapon combo.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Seems like a bit too much hassle to code. Also it would be VERY awkward with weapons that don't look right when dual-wielded in the first place.
Inuyasha_989

Post by Inuyasha_989 »

Not to mention, having the Original weapons with specially coded new ones would look plain weird...
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Couldn't you just make the grenade not visible and make a sprite that shows the grenade being thrown with alt-fire?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”