Brendy's Doom Ultimate Mod 1.2

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Steph23Mars

Re: Brendy's Doom Ultimate Mod 1.1

Post by Steph23Mars »

I know it has a lot of weapons
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

Steph23Mars wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 pm I know it has a lot of weapons
Yeah, and that's bad because all it does is pointlessly bloat the mod.
Ltmajordude
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ltmajordude »

stares at the first post of this forum topic
Doesn't a spoiler tag exist?
Steph23Mars

Post by Steph23Mars »

Ltmajordude wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm stares at the first post of this forum topic
Nope
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Steph23Mars wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:42 pm
Ltmajordude wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm stares at the first post of this forum topic
Nope
Yeah about that.
Spoiler:
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

So I'm being told by someone who knows more about Doom and mods than I do that a good chunk of the monsters are not from Realm667, but actually from *other* Doom mods. They specifically mention Distortionists, Cryodemons, Velocirators, Cerebral Sentients, and Sancrosanct overseers.

Did you actually get permission to use any of this stuff?
Steph23Mars

Post by Steph23Mars »

retronutcase wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:24 pm So I'm being told by someone who knows more about Doom and mods than I do that a good chunk of the monsters are not from Realm667, but actually from *other* Doom mods. They specifically mention Distortionists, Cryodemons, Velocirators, Cerebral Sentients, and Sancrosanct overseers.

Did you actually get permission to use any of this stuff?
yes
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Well, I've tried it, and...It's exactly what I expected. Just a huge mess. No rhyme or reason to the enemy randomization, it's just a bunch of enemies put in with no thought whatsoever. Same with the guns. And of course with how many guns are in here (Read: Too many) selecting the right one becomes a chore when I have to press 4 multiple times because there's so many weapons per slot.
Steph23Mars

Post by Steph23Mars »

Some people like it, some don't
Linz

Post by Linz »

Steph23Mars wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:56 pm Some people like it, some don't

More like no one likes it and many, many, many people don't
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

From what everyone's saying in this thread, I know I'm never gonna bother with this. Why suffer through what is almost literally "baby's first Realm667 asset flip" with things thrown together with no regard for balance, when I could play Shades of Doom which gives all the enemy variety with none of the bull$#!+?
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

openroadracer wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 pm From what everyone's saying in this thread, I know I'm never gonna bother with this. Why suffer through what is almost literally "baby's first Realm667 asset flip" with things thrown together with no regard for balance, when I could play Shades of Doom which gives all the enemy variety with none of the bull$#!+?
Pretty much this, yeah.

Sorry if we seem harsh, but the fact is we've seen plenty of these "Stick a bunch of other people's work into a PK3 and call it a mod" things. And the fact of the matter is? They're almost universally seen as bad.

Y'know what makes a mod good? When actual thought is put into the content that goes into it, making sure that content interacts well with the rest. Much like the OG Doom 2 monster roster. They work because they're designed to work with each other in creative ways.

This is just a bunch of stuff mashed together without any thought or reason.

EDIT: Oh wow. The Freezer Zombie can oneshot you from 100 health and armor. Yeah, that solidifies the 'unbalanced garbage' rating I've given this.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Alright, because I'm in such a nice mood, I'm going to point you at an example of a Monster Randomizer done right.

viewtopic.php?t=65220

Despite having 300+ monster types, it actually has some thought put into how it works beyond "Let's just dump 700 monsters in and call it a day."

Some things it does that actually make it appealing:
-Control over how often random replacements happen
-The ability to disable long range attacks on Pinky/Lost Soul variants
-Custom monsters have had their stats tweaked to better balance them and make them fit the mod overall
-Stronger variants are rarer to show up

If you seriously want to keep going with this mod, you need to actually create something that feels enjoyable to play. While a randomizer should indeed be random, there's still a certain consistency that's needed to make for a fun experience. Running into enemies that can insta-kill me on the first map when all I have is a pistol is *not* fun. Having to cycle through a bunch of slot 4s because you have so many is *not* fun. And it's even more pointless when a bunch of weapons serve the same purpose. You don't *need* 5 different chainguns if they all do the same thing. Just pick *one.* Having stronger, rarer weapons is certainly a thing that can be done, but you really need to cut the weapon bloat. If a bunch of weapons do the same thing overall in a slot, just pick *ONE* that does it best.

Alternatively, limit how many weapons you can carry, so you have to actually decide what to use and what to not use. But just slapping 100 weapons in with no limitation on them is bad design.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

unable launch on zandro 3.0[now updated to ver 3.1] this on launch screen- execution cant continue
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

wolf00 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:29 am unable launch on zandro 3.0[now updated to ver 3.1] this on launch screen- execution cant continue
It's not a Zandro mod, despite the host location. It's GZDoom.

Return to “Hall of Unpleasantness”