The "use" key activates more than once per press

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
demodemodemo

The "use" key activates more than once per press

Post by demodemodemo »

Made a post on reddit.com/r/Doom about an issue I was having, was hoping this community might have more answers. It reads:
Been trying to get into the Reconquest mod for Doom, and it uses a lot of menus. Problem is, the "use" key, which selects things in the menu, activates at least twice on a press, which results in a normal menu selection, followed immediately by another menu selection of whatever was in the menu directly after, which, more often than not, is either an exit button (kicking you back out) or something you didn't intend to select. To make sure this wasn't a keyboard issue, I rebound use to a couple other keys, and the behavior persisted. I even inputted the "+use" command into the console, which I understand does the same thing as pressing the "use" key once. The behavior persisted. I've been scouring threads on the zdoom forum and looking through the options menu since then trying to find a fix. Is there any advice this community can offer? For reference, I'm on GZdoom 4.8.0
Will provide further details if asked.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: The "use" key activates more than once per press

Post by Graf Zahl »

This seems to be something specific to your system. To be honest, I have no idea what might trigger such weird behavior.
As a first thing, you best check if this persists if you change the keyboard - IMO the most likely cause is a loose key that triggers multiple events.

Your checks with rebinding the keys won't do anything in the menu. The menu does not use the in-game options, it works directly with the OS's key events. On what system are you anyway?
demodemodemo

Post by demodemodemo »

As a first thing, you best check if this persists if you change the keyboard - IMO the most likely cause is a loose key that triggers multiple events.
I'm skeptical that this is the case, since I tried activating "use" via a console command and it still triggered multiple times (now that I think of it, I never have any issue with typing letters in the console only once), but nonetheless, I pulled out an extra keyboard I had lying around to test your theory. I tested it the same way, first using my usual use keybind (e, in this case), then an alternate keybind (numpad 0), and finally trying the +use command in console. Once again, the menu GUI registers the use key being pressed more than once in every instance, entering the menu and instantly selecting something within it. In this case, I'm using Reconquest's Build sub-menu as a testing ground. Any time I enter it with e, numpad 0, or +use in console, the menu opens and I instantly buy a road due to this multi-press phenomenon.
Your checks with rebinding the keys won't do anything in the menu. The menu does not use the in-game options, it works directly with the OS's key events.
I could use a little clarification on what you mean by this, I'm not sure I understand.
On what system are you anyway?
According to system info, I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Cinnamon is version 4.4.8, and my Linux kernel is 5.4.0-117-generic.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This mod uses ACS to create the GUI, so it could be a mod issue. Here's the link to the mod's forum page. Try reporting the issue there.
demodemodemo

Post by demodemodemo »

Blue Shadow wrote:This mod uses ACS to create the GUI, so it could be a mod issue. Here's the link to the mod's forum page. Try reporting the issue there.
I'll give that a try, I've had a sinking feeling it might be an issue with the mod itself for a while now. Definitely an angle worth exploring. I'll also be testing later with no mods at all, to see if, for instance, interacting with a wall produces multiple "oomph" sounds per activation of the use key.

Return to “Technical Issues”